Author Topic: Private/commercial/CFI/ATP Pilot survey of Aces High players:  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
Private/commercial/CFI/ATP Pilot survey of Aces High players:
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2001, 10:05:00 AM »
Canadian ATPL, 20K+ hours, flown commercially for 35 years (old guy  :)), 25+ in airline. None of this is any advantage in this sim  :(.
At least 5 others in  the squad are work mates.
Sadly, the horror of Sept 11th is going to again stagnate this business and make it a very hard career for young people to enter for some time to come.
<S> all in AH
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2001, 10:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Busher:
Sadly, the horror of Sept 11th is going to again stagnate this business and make it a very hard career for young people to enter for some time to come.
<S> all in AH

I plan on making a career out of it.   :(
I must be on crack.

About 16 hrs.  Four more to solo!

:D

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: Thrawn ]

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2001, 11:09:00 AM »
Single-engine-land, Private.
Rotorcraft, Private.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2001, 11:21:00 AM »
Wanted to fly since I was a youngster, got a flying lesson as a present after having plastic surgery on my left hand when I was 13(severly burned when I was 2).  Kinda hard to hold a yoke in a cast, but if you are determined enough, you can!  Got the bug, folks had enough extra to spot me a flying lesson every so often to keep my enthusiasm.  At 15, began working part time, washed airplanes for the local Air National Guard Aero club in exchange for free time to fly.  Solo'd when I was 16, 3 days later I got my driver's license so I didnt have to walk to the airport anymore   :)

Got my Private Pilot's Certificate in 1991 (Single Engine Land), went to North Shore Community College in Beverly, Mass. to do their Airline Pilot program.  Passed, with flying colors, all the ground school tests for High Performance, Instrument and Commercial but just didnt have the funds to do the flying.

Kinda where I've left it.  I have 200+ hours logged, got many flying with the local Civil Air Patrol.  Still fly when cash allows, weary of the local rentals so I bought a guys 90% complete BD-5.  Gorgeous plane, saving up to have it sent to the factory and finished up and modernized.  You can follow my [lack of] progress at http://bd5.checksix.net

Offline Chaos68

• Silver Member
      • http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2001, 11:24:00 AM »
i have rocks in my shorts so im stuck on the ground

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2001, 11:29:00 AM »
  • 8/8/1963 - Glider -soloed (Ka-7 4692T)
  • 9/30/1964 - 16th birthday - soloed (Mooney Mk21 6420U)
  • 9/30/1965 - 17th birthday - Private (Mooney Mk21 6420U)
  • Still Flying

• Online Flight Sims
  • Air Warrior DOS (when it started)
  • Air Warrior
  • WarBirds
  • Aces High (to date)

• R/C Flinging
  • Just started - Soloed 8/9/2001 (Instructor- Dale "HiTech" Addink)
  • having a blast!!!!
Thunder
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2001, 11:33:00 AM »
Lynx:

Well i happened to come from the other side .. basically i'd been towed a lot cause i started flying in gliders .. and when i decided to make my PPL it was kind of the thing to do .. in our club they are allways craving for folks who fly the tug because we are mainly a glider club with hardly and powered a/c drivers...

The thing i can suggest to you is search out the nearest glider field, hang out there for a while (glider pilots make a LOT of hangar flying) talk to the people and see if the maybe need a tug driver. I don't know the UK regs for towing but here in austria it's a special rating and you have to do a flight test for it .. but it's not that hard.. you need 5 tows in the glider, then 15 with a flight instructor and then off you go for the flight test.

The flight test is a normal tow, then level 360s, and then coming back for a touch and go with the glider still in tow, at least that's all it was here.

It's fun flying but beware .. it's WORK if the field is busy and it can be quite hazardous... i had my tail pulled up at about 500 feet AGL once and managed to pull out at tree top hight.. well stuff like that. But nevertheless it's a great experience and i still enjoy doing it.

Cheers
DW6

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2001, 11:47:00 AM »
(AlgyFT) Single engine land, 496 hours TT. got my private ticket back in 1979. An ear problem prevents any better than a 3rd class medical so I've never given serious thought to flying for a living.

I've owned four planes over the years: Gere Sport Biplane, Quickie (single seat with Onan engine), KR-2 (with Barker VW conversion, supercarb, etc), and a 1941 Culver Cadet LCA (low-wing, two-place retractible, Continental C-85).

I don't currently own an aircraft, but hope to change that in the near future.

All of my flying has taken place in Western Washington.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
Private Pilot cert. SEL 1983
Starting IFR training in next few months.
Own a 58 Piper Comanche, (retract and constant speed)
Own half of a C 172 on leaseback.
Currently working towards an A&P certificate and just overhauled the engine of the 172. Now I am testing my work by breaking the engine in before it goes on the line for hire.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline BigBen

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2001, 01:32:00 PM »
PP (ASEL) 8/2000 about 200 hours total in single engine Pipers.  Got about half way through my instrument before I realized that I didn't much enjoy flying "in the system". A few hours in a 172 but I didn't like it as much as the Cherokee 180 & Archer.

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2001, 01:43:00 PM »
SEL rating here with a high power, complex signoff.

Currently flying T-34's and Piper singles, with ~200 hours.  Getting into the warbird/airshow/fly-in type of thing.

40 minutes in R-22 egg-beaters

1.5 hours in 777 Flight Safety full motion sim.

MiG

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2001, 05:24:00 PM »
otw to ppl (money willing) with about 15 hrs logged, half of that solo.  Fly as a hobby.

Several hundred hours as a flight test engineer.  I guess that counts as being paid to fly even though I wasn't at the controls, I was just telling the bus driver what to do.  :D

Offline Magic

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2001, 05:38:00 PM »
Although none of this seems to help my k/d ratio...<grn>

Civilian:
   Commercial/single-engine/multi-engine/instrument
   Lear Jet Type Rating

Military:
  Designated Naval Aviator
  Aircraft commander: KC-130 / UC-12B

First solo flight was in June of 1971 (L-2 Taylorcraft). First solo in a Navy jet trainer (T-2C) in 1981.

Not flying currently, got a nice comfy ground job.

Regards,

Magic

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2001, 05:51:00 PM »
Glider/SEL

(Sorry, I always bite on these 'who's a Pilot' trolls)

Offline Beegerite

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2001, 07:16:00 PM »
I've developed an aversion to flying, I tell myself that if I was PIC it would be different but I ain't gone near an airplane in 15 years.  Prior to this little psychological jewel I loved spending every minute I could in the air and have a Commercial License with ASEL and CFI ratings.  Before going bonkers I accumulated over 4,000 hrs.  

Now, here's a little jewel that caught my eye.  What does it tell you when guys like me and Busher say that none of our real life flight experience means anything in this sim?  It tells me that we need at least one arena where old buzzards like us can have airplanes that require engine management etc.  A place where crosswinds and weather are real and where FW190s, ME109s and F4Us exhibit the tendencies they were really known for.  Then maybe I can shoot down some of the Nintendo generation dweebs that are constantly killing me.

Beeg

Originally posted by Busher:
Canadian ATPL, 20K+ hours, flown commercially for 35 years (old guy   :)), 25+ in airline. None of this is any advantage in this sim   :(.
At least 5 others in  the squad are work mates.
<S> all in AH