Author Topic: I can See my six  (Read 413 times)

Offline nutsdog

• Zinc Member
I can See my six
« on: February 25, 2002, 10:58:43 PM »
Thanks guys i can see my Six, ive read the guides you have posted and i wanted to let you know that after flying the planes that were mentioned for new pilots i have chosen the Spitfire V
i really like how the plane handels.
I Have got my views all customized and im starting to practice some basic combat rolls as listed in Hammers guide.
My question tonight is what is a good gun convergence?
the guide says 300 but i have those espo cannons and it says those might need to go out a little further..

thanks again
nutsdog

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
I can See my six
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2002, 08:48:50 AM »
I almost dont fly the spit, but the same rules apply to all planes.
for the 303 guns, convergence should be d250 and under. they do no damage beyond that and generally pretty much usless.
as for the hispanos, they are effective even at long range, but with the limmited ammo load and fighting stile of the spit V, I'd set them short. d300 is a nice compromise. you can set it a bit longer if you count on HO shots or snap shots at running planes, or set it shorter for tight knife fighting that spit v jocks like so much.

maybe one of the dedicated spit drivers will give his setting and advice.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
I can See my six
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2002, 08:49:09 AM »
I use a standard convergence of 300 in just about any plane I fly.  I usually wait until Im close for a good shot.

-Ding

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
I can See my six
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2002, 10:44:23 AM »
Most claim they want to set the 303's out farther to "scare" planes that are attempting to seperate. Now this therory i totaly disagree with, that tactic is for killing/scaring rookies. Rookies are the least of your worries, if you get geared up and in the mind set to kill newbies, veterns will eat you alive.. they are the real threat to you.

Set your cannons a tad bit farther than your Mg's, they drop a little more (cannons).  As a rule of thumb i set my cannons atleast 25 yards farther than my MG's.

The most effective convergence is the distance you are comfortable firing at. If you are not skilled at long range shooting (400+ is long range shooting for a cannon bird) set it closer because you want the most power where you'll be landing hits, not where you would LIKE to be landing hits. As you improve in gunnery, adjust convergence accordingly.

I set up for a gun solution around 600-500, so i set my out far. But in my case i normaly fly something armed with only 50 cals and they are deadly at that range. For cannons i recomend 325-350, and as previously stated 303's around 300 (since indeed they have no stopping power past that, very little even at that range).

good luck!

Offline nutsdog

• Zinc Member
Great
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2002, 11:23:47 AM »
So i figure 300 for guns and 325 for cannons
thanks for the help...

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
I can See my six
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2002, 11:33:25 AM »
If you like to buff hunt, set the cannons to 400-450, then aim alittle higher than normal.

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
I can See my six
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2002, 11:50:25 AM »
Hmm...convergence, good question.  Here are the settings I like to use:

US/RAF .50 cal and .303 cal = 400-500
(the .303 I use not to kill at that range but to force turns)

US/RAF 20mm = 400

LW/USSR 12.7mm = 350

LW/USSR 20mm = 250-300

Japan 20mm = 300

Hope this helps! :)

Nim

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
I can See my six
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2002, 12:04:15 PM »
I keep my convergence rather close -- in the 175 to 225 range.  I prefer shooting up close, and this brings the maximum amount of firepower to bear within a suitable range for me.

Setting .303s short also maximizes their effectiveness on the Spit V.  I can get about one kill per roughly 300 to 400 rounds of .303 in the Spit, because I get to within convergence range and attempt to apply continuous fire to the enemy.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
I can See my six
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2002, 05:16:26 PM »
I fly most of the fighters, and Nimitz thanks for the info...but for the hog C I set my cannons for 400-425...anything closer sets me up for a knife fight, which the hog / jug / pony - or my skills- isint really suited for IMHO. I set my 50's for 400 also in the other US planes.

With the Niki, spit, and zeke, I set canons for 275-200

Anyone care to send me their thoughts, or am I off target?