Author Topic: What is the trick to buff gunnery?  (Read 631 times)

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
What is the trick to buff gunnery?
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2002, 02:08:39 PM »
Sounds like you may need to go back to school .

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/MATINEE.html

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2002, 06:08:00 PM »
"This used to be a pretty heated debate, and IIRC changes to the buff guns were made after Pyro had gunned for me on a B-17 and an N1K took us down from a near level 6 attack. "

What the hell is wrong with that?

So lemme see here....

The buff guns are the same as fighter guns except they are "adjusted" so that a fighter is likely unable to kill buffs from a "near level 6 attack". Holy toejam, no wonder this needed to be changed as we all know NO bomber in WW2 was ever shot down like this in a rear attack, not a single one, ever. All had to be attacked by climbing 5,000 feet above them and making high deflection vertical passes like we must in AH to have any chance of survival.....

Right?  Toad are you saying Pyro adjusted the games buff gun model because he was no good playing the game that day?
That must be nice, being able to do that. :)

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2002, 05:50:11 AM »
How many times does HT have to state that 50 cals on buffs are exactly the same as 50 cals on fighters ? Do you guys think he's lying or something ?

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2002, 11:43:51 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
"This used to be a pretty heated debate, and IIRC changes to the buff guns were made after Pyro had gunned for me on a B-17 and an N1K took us down from a near level 6 attack. "

What the hell is wrong with that?

So lemme see here....

The buff guns are the same as fighter guns except they are "adjusted" so that a fighter is likely unable to kill buffs from a "near level 6 attack". Holy toejam, no wonder this needed to be changed as we all know NO bomber in WW2 was ever shot down like this in a rear attack, not a single one, ever. All had to be attacked by climbing 5,000 feet above them and making high deflection vertical passes like we must in AH to have any chance of survival.....

Right?  Toad are you saying Pyro adjusted the games buff gun model because he was no good playing the game that day?

You have obviously missed the point.

The MAXIMUM RANGE of the guns is roughly the same (the buff mounted guns are the heavy, longer (42"?) barrel M2 right?  As opposed to the light barrels (36"?) on the fighters.  The guns were given a small boost to maximum EFFECTIVE range to counter net lag.  Meaning that the projectiles hold thier energy a second or two longer than projectiles fired from fighters.  Least that's the way I understood it way back when, when it was splained to us all.

Grun go back to my post and red the bit about the engagement agaist the Spit14s (that you obviously missed).

Here's the situation Grun:
You're flyin a B-17.
A bandit approaches you from the rear, in a dead 6 attack
You see him at a range of 1.1k on your FE
He starts firing from that 1.1k on your FE and blows yer buff all to hell, leaving you scratching your head and wondering if he was cheating.

The fighter saw the range as 700yds on his FE.  

Whenever something is behind you always subtract 200-400yds from the range being shown as a guesstimate to what the other guy sees on his FE.  The closer he is to you the less you subtract.  This difference is net lag.

Without some means of compensation for net lag fighters can park off the 6 of bombers and plink them all day long and enjoy being invulnerable the buff's guns.  Most fighter jocks would really enjoy the buff guns going back to how they were in the beta and first tour or two.  Back then the guns were about as useful as tits on a boar, unless you were a super crack shot.

There MUST BE some compensation for the net lag component involved here.  The trick is balance.  The buff guns can hit and kill out to 1.4k.  I've done it.  I've also attacked a formation (and a verra nice one too) of B-17s with my wing man, killing all 6 and we both flew away unharmed.  There is balance here.
But sometimes it seems (this from me being the buff and shooting hapless idjits from the sky) that the .50s on the B-17 are throwing 20mm API shells.  This is the power increase I think needs another look.  And I acknowledge the possibility that I was blessed with an inordinate number of Golden BBs in the incidents that brought this train of thought to mind.

My personal opinion, and there's nothing to back this up except my experiences in AH, is that this fine tuning did adjust the power of the guns up higher than intended, and it hasn't been looked at since because 1) Dale and Doug think I'm nuts, 2) They decided that even though it was more adjustment than originally planned it worked with the playability balance they're striving to achieve, or 3) There are more important things ranking higher on the development list.  Each is a good reason on its own, and I think it's a combination of all 3 :D
Of course it's possible that they meant to set them right where they're set.

While I've just about become a card carrying member of the anti-fluff movement, the do need to be given a fair shake when it comes to shooting.  So let's address the issue of the fluffs standing in a 60degree bank and maintaining perfect stability w for the guns....

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2002, 12:04:01 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ

No, Grun, I am not saying that.

I believe CavemanJ is the one saying something like that but not that exactly.

I suspect that your LW issue studded leather thong has ridden up and chafed you severely causing much pain. Thus you seem to be unable to remember who said what in the thread.

Try some vaseline, or perhaps Balmex on the chafed areas... oh, and try taking the thong off sometimes.. no matter how "dead sexy" you think it makes you look.

:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2002, 02:19:10 AM »
Just change the B-17 turrets to work like all other buffs in the game --> guns can't fire through fuselage and the leathality problem is solved. I think the b17 model is simply so old that it has some design flaws that were never looked into.. Like how far gunners could actually track their guns and shoot accurately from their positions. Also the top turret shouldnt be able to shoot directly behind without chopping off the vertical stab.

Sometimes when I attack a b17 from below it seems that even the front turret is shooting at me - below and behind the position.

Another thing is that there have been multiple cases that I've attacked a B17 in a p51 or p47, completely lighting up the whole tail section and center fuselage with .50 ammo..

After that you should think there are no alive gunners left in the whole tail section. Still they keep on shooting.. Why?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2002, 04:05:54 AM »
No Caveman, only gv's have the heavy barrel group . Buff guns have the same barrel as the fighter 50 cals, and thats why buff 50 cal guns have the same range as fighter 50 cal guns .

See here .http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51057&highlight=buff+guns

And here .
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5664&perpage=50&pagenumber=1

And here .
http://internet.cybermesa.com/~jbm/ballistics/traj/traj.html

« Last Edit: May 10, 2002, 04:15:27 AM by Samm »

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2002, 04:22:54 AM »
For those who don't feel like reading through those links, here it is in a nutshell thanks to eskimo2

originally illuminated by eskimo2

"The B-17 tail gun round:
Leaves the tail gun at 2478 fps (airspeed). 2845 fps (50 cal. muzzle velocity) - 367 fps (aircraft speed) = 2478 fps (true airspeed of the 50 cal. round)
The round travels 840 yards (before colliding with the P-51) in 1.284 sec and has a final velocity of 1558 fps.
1558 fps (the speed of the round just before impact) + 367 fps (the speed of the P-51) = 1925 fps (the true impact speed of the round). A 708 gr. round traveling at 1925 fps has 5800 foot pounds of energy.

The Mustang round:
Leaves the Mustang's gun at 3112 fps (airspeed). 2845 fps (50 cal. muzzle velocity) + 367 fps (aircraft speed) = 3212 fps (true airspeed of the 50 cal. round)
The round travels 1180 yards (before colliding with the B-17) in 1.497 sec and has a final velocity of 1750 fps.
1750 fps (the speed of the round just before impact) - 367 fps (the speed of the B-17) = 1383 fps (the true impact speed of the round). A 708 gr. round traveling at 1383 fps has 3010 foot pounds of energy.

So there you have it.
In the B-17 / P-51 chase example, the rounds hitting the B-17 have 3010 ft.# of E. and the rounds hitting the P-51 have 5800 ft.# of E.
By the way, a 50 cal. round fired from a fixed point (like a parked M-16) has 5800 ft# of E. at 760 yards. It drops down to 3010 ft.# of E. at 1320 yards.
That's why bombers' guns seem so powerful at longer ranges."

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2002, 04:59:10 AM »
CC Toad sorry about the mix up.

However please keep your perverted sexual fantasies about leather out of this thread Toad. This is, after all, a family forum.... :D

Yes Caveman that's the effect I hate about AH buffs as well.

Think of it this way exactly how mant HO do you loose to a C202? In several angles even the B17 can only put up TWO 50cal guns on you yet is still able to kill easily at great ranges completely ripping up a fighter, both wings tails engines everything with two guns.

This is a real issue no matter how much HTC dances around it.

IIRC the bombers used standard fighter "short" 50 cals.

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2002, 06:08:07 AM »

What is the issue that you percieve them to be dancing around ? Buff guns have NOT been given a "boost" in leathality .

Rearward firing guns have a better damage/range ratio because of the laws of physics, not a gameplay concession .

BTW. I've been killed, well my engine was, by HO's from a 202, I have yet to be killed from a HO by a B17 .
« Last Edit: May 10, 2002, 06:12:42 AM by Samm »