Author Topic: for next scenario  (Read 735 times)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
for next scenario
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2002, 01:33:43 AM »
look if you  post a date  and time for an event people gotta adjust if they wanna be in it right?

if you post a date and time for registration to take place its the same thing.

Now you have said that you wont use 1st come 1st serve so thats it.

But just like you arrange events to accomodate the largest groups of folks so can you do the same for registration.

The lottery did nothing to get guys the planes they wanted. Even in bigweek its was the 60 allied fighters that were fought over there was plenty of buffs slots that werent filled for almost a week after registration.

So a p51 pilot lost a slot cause he couldn't make registration so let him fly a buff.

Then even winning the lottery didnt get him his 51. Ya then had to cozy up to the side co because choice slots like 51s will fill up just as fast as they did during registration.

At this point I am just whining. I would be saying the same things whether I made it or not and Im sure if I wanted to I could find a place. I voiced my objections to the lottery the day I saw it.

And I dont think I deserve a slot (if ya read the threads about bigweek reg thats all ya heard from the disgruntled allied pilots).

I dont think I ever camped out waiting for registration I just logged on around the time registation opened. Even then 190a8 slots were open for a few days.

Hell in hs I think I waited a day or too there was plenty of 190f8 slots open.

Anyway thats it for me. You all know better then I so I ll just differ to the pros.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
for next scenario
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2002, 02:08:34 AM »
"You all know better then I so I ll just differ to the pros." - Wotan

Lol... problem is we DON'T know better... I'm probably makin' more enemies in the CM group than Oprah's daily alottment of doughnuts. :D But damn... we really are trying to come up with something. When I say that I appreciate all the posts on this subject you gotta believe that I aint being patronizing one single bit... I need to hear this stuff from every angle.

Don't take my "it's ruled out" post too seriously... I have been known to change my mind. ;) Thing is, I don't *want* to.... Going back to that system would be like resorting... It was problematic and it would continue to be problematic. And everything before and since - the same thing. Again - there's gotta be a better way of doing this.

You've been bringing up AK and HS... but ya also gotta realize that AH was a different beast back then. AK was still in beta, and HS even didn't present a situation where we needed to turn people away to the tune of 100+. Not only was your participation basically a given, but the competition for specific rides was nowhere near what it is now. It's different.

It would help me greatly if you just *pretended* that 1st come 1st serve would never happen again, and try and come up with something else... Maybe you'll be the one person who, in his sleep, comes up with that one golden, elegant, simple approach. I would literally send you many many beers if that happened. :D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2002, 02:26:15 AM by Nash »

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
for next scenario
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2002, 09:18:14 AM »
My mouth has been runnin too much you wont hear about from me again but let just give ya a quick overview about my suggestion and that will be it

we have 260 slots with the planes assigned by side co

380 reg fer lottery

120 reseves that may/may not get a slot certainly they have no choice as to the plane or flight they just go where they are needed.

Now my suggestion would be

if there 10 slots per flight

make it so 15 guys can sign up for that flight

the 1st 10 that register get the 10 top slots

the next 5 fill the last 5 slots (call umm reserves)

If anyone in the 1st 10 miss a frame hes dropped to the bottom and everyone slides up a slot. So the next guy in the reserves gets bumped up.

If anyone gets killed or loses their airframe they goto the bottom and everyone slides up a slot.

Now 1st come 1 st serve only effects the 1st frame.

And if any of the other flights are short you take the guys from the reserve slots from the other slots 1st.

If you still are short then some walkon provision may need be worked out.

You end up with a natural rotation.

You end up with 15 guys per flight who can train together and arrange their flight to accomodate who can fly when etc.

These guys call all be added to the sea squad roster prior to start. They will all be trained and informed (depending on the fl) so you wont have the huge confusion at the start.

Give the fl the responsibilty of contacting each of the 15 in his squad have him report to the cms or cos if they cant get in touch with 1 of his guys and make it manditory that the fl report how many guys he will have for each frame.

The fl as usually are picked by the side co but he must choose the fl out of the 15 registered for that flight.

You end up with 360 or so registered guys all have a slot and were able to pick their plane and flight.

This is how AK was.

Everyone is all but guarranteed 1 frame. Unless a miracle happens and the 1st 10 guys in a flight all show up for every frame and none of them lose a plane. I dont think  that will happen but if it does if theres any opening in any of the other flights ya grab guys from the reserves.

Now to me reinventing the wheel is too much work to expect from you guys and you all do a hell of a job. I hope my whining aint been too much fer ya.

But I think looking bac at what worked and tweaking it to make it better would be how I would go at it.

I dont think that holding slots for anyone is fair. Just because i'm in a squad I ought not get priority. I think if I want to participate then its up to me not only to be there for the event but to register in a timely manner.

But  maybe for the next one the sea will have 450 max capacity and this will all be for nothing.

S!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
for next scenario
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2002, 02:55:37 PM »
Yup, upping the capacity to 450 is gonna help a lot. As it stands, overbooking on an arena that caps out at 250 is pretty risky. 15 people for 10 rides is a 150% overbook. If you apply that to the number of people who did show up, many wouldn't have been able to even get into the arena. But hopefully, and it sounds like, the capacity is getting upped... that's a huge complication that's not going to be there anymore.