Author Topic: expert pilots feel that too?  (Read 609 times)

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/terracota
expert pilots feel that too?
« on: July 04, 2000, 04:08:00 PM »
just asking my self if the veteran pilots feels that too or if they feeled some day in they newbies days:
1)when I have an enemy at my six I dont get nervous(well just a little), and generally I can think in the things I readed in books , etc. about evasive maneuvers.
2) but when I'm behind the bandit or I have the E advantage all my body starts to shake  my hands dont whant to respond,I can hear my heart pumping like an m-16 and I forget everything i learned in the books etc. about attacking maneuvers E, etc.
somebody nows if there's an explanation to these? just feel nervous when I have the advantage. some other newbie there feels the same or is just me?
3) you veteran pilots feel some nervous now ?
or you dont feel nothing now?

just whant to now  
see ya!

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2000, 04:54:00 PM »
 Sounds like buck fever to me, I get it too. Especialy in 1v1 or 2v2 duels or in senarios, when the outcome is important or in deer hunting  

udie

funked

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2000, 05:01:00 PM »
I get it in scenarios, especially ones without 5 mile IFF and laser range finder HUD.  When you've been patrolling for a half-hour and suddenly THERE THEY ARE KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMM!!!!!    

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 07-04-2000).]

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2000, 05:12:00 PM »
Hehe yeah terracota, I get this too on occasion. Generally, the more I want the kill, the more this happens. In the MA this hardly ever happens as, well, I don't really give a damn as much as I probably should. Couldn't care less if I live or die lately... and I've got to work on that.

I can remember times in scenarios though where I've had to bring my left hand over to steady my right hand in order to line up the shot.

I can't wait for these events to kick into gear, as this 'buck fever' phenomenom is part of what I think 'real' combat would feel like... and to me it's 100 times more powerful than any fight I've had in the MA.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2000, 05:29:00 PM »
Terracota, as they explained, the more u want the kill, the more you shake. But usually I'm not freacking out. When u know that you have a plane who turns about same or better, then no need to sweat, the guy can't out turn you. So seat back, relax, follow him, let him sweat and do something silly, you will got him sooner or later, take your time.

Don't go on hard abrupt manoeuvering to follow him, work on keeping your E, especially if it's a G10 vs Niki or something. you will notice that most guys do scisors, I could catch up with faster planes even in Niki by flight straight and level while my target was slaloming in front of me always crossing my gun seight (then lossing E, thus speed).

Go easy on ammos too, don't spray like crazy when he is barrel rolling all other. Again, relax, follow, wait for him to cross ur gun seight and throw a short burst. When I started AH, I was always in a good firing position when i had no ammo, and that makes u feel mad at yourself.

[This message has been edited by SFRT - Frenchy (edited 07-04-2000).]
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/terracota
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2000, 10:37:00 AM »
  well I'm not alone withs this ufffffff
yeah ! and thak's to the advice, the other day I was just behind an 109, I started to shake and shoted him all my bullets   finally I killed him but just 26 bullets left in my plane, so I leave the battle and go home   I have to learn to control my fire, buck fever? well now I now how this fenomenon is called

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2000, 10:40:00 AM »
I get that when ever i approach a B17, and when ever I have a bish f4u bellow me..

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2000, 11:10:00 AM »
Haven't had it for a while, but I used to always get it, when I had a seemingly clean (and unseen) bounce on a bogey.
I would simply hold my breath, all the way from d50 and in, hand would tighten around the joystick, etc...was horrible.
 I still get it (in WB) when I'm on a streak over 30.

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group
"This is Yardstick. Follow me"

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2000, 02:34:00 PM »
Nope.  Never get it anymore.  Nothing bothers be at all.  Ground rushing up at me without wings?  Calmly slide cockpit open and toss myself to the earth, while feeling the wind in my hair.  <Yawn>

Just another day in the office while in combat.

This is in contrast to my reaction when the whining suddenly erupts on channel 1.  The hair IMMEDIATELY stands up on the back of my neck, my fists are clenched tight, a twitch develops on my left eye while beads of cold sweat emanate from my forehead.  Its Xanax time, baby!  

-Ding

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2000, 03:13:00 PM »
Dueling ladder is where the adrenline flows like hot molten lava thru your bloodstream, my wifes gonna find me slumped over the keyboard one of these days!

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2000, 11:23:00 PM »
terracota,
I get this every single time.  Mostly, because I get in real close for the kill, 100-200yds.  Sometimes, it's almost a relief when the con breaks.  The surprise kills are the most racking, because they just sit there.  You get closer and closer, and they just sit, flying straight and true.  Pretty soon, you start wondering if they have something up their sleeve, and start looking around to that hidden wingman.  Simply nerve racking, the surprise kill.
ingame: Raz

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2000, 11:41:00 PM »
Wow...

Leonid, Daff.

That's exactly when it happens to me... the suprise kill...

"Why the f*ck aint they moving?! Oh... this is good... this is rare... this is PERFECT..." Heart-rate picks up, hand starts to tremble, plane starts to bounce, a hail of fire whizzes' over the bandit's canopy... an overshoot... and no damage done.

Sigh...

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2000, 12:02:00 AM »
I agree. Fear of the unknown is the scary part.

Since I die so often, I know exactly what it is like- Voila! No fear!  

Actually, I am more "did I stop that guy from accomplishing his goal" than "can I kill him. It does no good to kill the B17 after it drops on your base. That is the nervous part for me.

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2000, 12:05:00 AM »
Yup!...I get it.  

Flying online comes as quite the shock to us when we first start.  We come out from the "boxed sim" training school feeling like real hot shots...even the most humble of us!  

Unfortunately, online, we get shot down over and over and over again, and this can really down one's spirits initially.  So...the gears start grinding, we try to learn as much as we can about air combat, and practice hard to learn ACM.  Time passes...finally that moment of truth...you've done everything right: conserved energy, and put yourself in the perfect position.  Now you're zooming in on his six...closer...closer...will he see you?...closer still...finally!, you open up, rake him over with cannon shells, and zoom up looking behind you.  He's trailing smoke, and goes down.  This is what you've been working for!

In the online combat environment, each "kill" comes from putting in time and practice.  I think that the nervousness comes from exactly this...getting ready to see the fruits of your labor.

I think it's neat that a sim can bring this out of us.

Salute,
IC

eye

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2000, 12:24:00 AM »
If you recognize you are stressed first take a deep breath. Then relax the stick hand.
If your hand is shakeing WTG!!!

This is like rem sleep.Enjoy ,its a feeling i only feel fighting a few guys.
IMO this is the best feeling in AH.
If you care enough that your stressed it means you imersed in the game!In the present.

It means your haveing fun.

Learn to control it but never lose it.