Author Topic: Feedback on new CT set up idea please  (Read 3391 times)

Offline keyapaha

• Nickel Member
Feedback on new CT set up idea please
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2002, 09:07:41 AM »
laz2 now theres a good idea  a couple os questions though

1) on plane captures and spying would that be ai or would ppl actually have to steal and spy to all have same plane type. (i could do the stealing part that would be fun kinda like that firefox movie.)

2) and maybe if this catchs on we could make another arena but i doubt it would:)

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2002, 09:24:18 AM »
laz lol

if youre in here laz why dont we see you in the CT?

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2002, 09:31:01 AM »
We could also have Texas Vs. The World

Think about it!

Lotsa n1ks,spits and La7's with bull-heads painted on the wings swarming the whole map

"Surrenduh y'all!"

:D

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2002, 10:00:54 AM »
Sounds like an interesting idea... provided...

1.  It focusses on the air war, and not base-taking.

2.  The plane sets are not too restricted, IE lots of Ami iron flying from the isle!

3.  Radar works properly.

Given those things, it sounds like fun.  I echo others though I think in that I'd rather see things like USA vs. England, or Japan vs. USSR, or USSR vs. USA.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2002, 10:29:08 AM »
"USA vs. England"

This one is do-able with the current planeset even, provided the American team doesn't mind fighting spits 9/10 of the time and a few of the American planes for which there's no Brit counterpart are left out.

J_A_B

Offline ZOSO

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2002, 10:58:54 AM »
I would like to see more historical Pacific setups.  I am not at all interested in European, East Front or What If setups.  Ideally I would like to see a full time Pacific Axis vs Allies arena.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2002, 11:08:49 AM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
"USA vs. England"

This one is do-able with the current planeset even, provided the American team doesn't mind fighting spits 9/10 of the time and a few of the American planes for which there's no Brit counterpart are left out.
J_A_B

Of course you'd see Spits 9/10 of the time... but so?  The novelty would be in the strange matchups. :)

What do you mean by American planes for which there's no Brit counterpart?  Clearly the plane sets are quite different, but that's the point.  Spits, Hurri, Typhie, and Temp vs. Hellcat, Lightning, Pony, Jug and Corsair.  Sounds like a blast to me! :)  Or do you mean bomber/attack roles where there is not counterpart?

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2002, 11:38:20 AM »
Well, the B-26 would have to be left out since the Brits have no medium buffs.

The main Brit fighters would be the Spit 9 and Typhoon.  The Typhoon is a good BnZ counterpart to the P-51D/P-47D-30/F4U-1D at low altitudes.  The Spitfire has good performance up high, definately good enough compete with the American fighters.

I would leave out the P-51B because unlike the "D" it is IMO good enough up high that the Spit is at too much of a disadvantage.  The "D"'s performance noticably drops off above 25K.  The F4U-1, P-47D-11 and P-27D-25 could be in or out; they offer nothing over the other American fighters.

On carriers the Seafire is a decent counterpart to the F6F and holds up well versus the F4U-1D.  However the Brits lack carrier-based bombers.  I would solve this by enabling Mosquito's off of carriers if possible, otherwise I would deny the TBM to the Americans and give it to the British instead.

J_A_B

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Feedback on new CT set up idea please
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2002, 11:45:27 AM »
Originally posted by Sabre
I'm thinking of coming up with a "what-if" set up for the CT that pits the American and British forces against a notional alliance between Germany and the USSR.  What do you in the CT community think of the idea?  

It's only for a week.  Why not?

- Oldman (who is, however, generally opposed to fantasy wars in CT)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2002, 12:18:20 PM »
ANd mossie's were adapted to carrier duties...

SKurj

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2002, 12:38:08 PM »
I only fly axis / german mostly.......

out side of Russian/Japan (Manchuria in particular) any made up scenario that features la7s vrs spit ixs has no appeal to me.

I would like to eventually see Finland vrs ussr Italy vrs Greece (invasion of cyprus maybe)

But we dont have the plansets

don't care for pac set ups not enough jap planes and especially dislike the american and brit planesets and would not fly such a setup

either way I'll avoid the ones I dont like and fly the ones I do......

Start thinkin about a bob set up (atleast early war)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2002, 12:40:22 PM by Wotan »

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2002, 07:50:17 AM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
Well, the B-26 would have to be left out since the Brits have no medium buffs.

The main Brit fighters would be the Spit 9 and Typhoon.  The Typhoon is a good BnZ counterpart to the P-51D/P-47D-30/F4U-1D at low altitudes.  The Spitfire has good performance up high, definately good enough compete with the American fighters.

I would leave out the P-51B because unlike the "D" it is IMO good enough up high that the Spit is at too much of a disadvantage.  The "D"'s performance noticably drops off above 25K.  The F4U-1, P-47D-11 and P-27D-25 could be in or out; they offer nothing over the other American fighters.

On carriers the Seafire is a decent counterpart to the F6F and holds up well versus the F4U-1D.  However the Brits lack carrier-based bombers.  I would solve this by enabling Mosquito's off of carriers if possible, otherwise I would deny the TBM to the Americans and give it to the British instead.

J_A_B

I agree on the bomber/jabo points you make... but not the fighters.  Removing Ami planes because you think they'll have too many advantages is just silly.  I could just as easily say remove the Spit IX because it turns too well for a BnZ plane, or I could say that the Spit IX turns well enough to compete with the American planes, so the Spit V isn't needed.  Both plane sets will have some advantages and dis-advantages.... but that's the point.  Also the D-11 Jug is very different from the D-30, so I wouldn't want that one removed.  Allow all the fighters from both sides.... the point is to run the two plane sets against each other, not to artificially limit one side to try and remove it's advantages.  In addition, I believe you want as large a planeset as possible in any give setup to get more folks into the CT, so limiting it in any way with respect to fighters is a bad move IMO.  The only limits I would put in place would be on high-performance perk planes like the Temp... and then it's just a simple matter of assigning a reasonable perk cost.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2002, 08:11:18 AM »
Don't forget range in British planes have shorter legs than US ones ...

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Re: Feedback on new CT set up idea please
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2002, 09:39:52 AM »
Originally posted by Sabre
"what-if" set up for the CT that pits the American and British forces against a notional alliance between Germany and the USSR.  

Well, to me the idea sounds about as realistic (even on a hypothetical level) as a modern alliance between the US and the Taliban going to war against the Israel and Iraq-coalition.

The USSR/US vs Japan 1945 sounds really interesting though.

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2002, 06:06:16 PM »
What if the BOB had gone on for longer and the Germans won?

It would need a new map with a greatly reduced Atlantic ocean but would give Both sides rides to cover most roles.

Capturing the Azores would make an ideal forward base for a full scale assult.

Just thinking out loud...

TTFN
snafu