Author Topic: Airsoft  (Read 577 times)

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
Airsoft
« on: March 17, 2002, 03:04:51 PM »
Anyone ever played airsoft?  If you haven't then check http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/newbie.htm for a well laid out guide.  Airsoft is kind of like paintball...but not really as it uses guns that are almost the exact size/weight of the real guns and allow an almost endless array of accessories to go on your "guns".  They fire .20 gram and if you're gun is upgraded they can fire .25 gram bb's which offer higher accuracy at the cost of a little FPS (feet per second).  There are only a few airsoft dealers that are within the US.  Those being http://www.airsoftatlanta.com and http://www.airsoftextreme.com.  I've been to the airsoft atlanta store as I live in Marietta and he's a nice guy who knows alot about the sport and doesn't hesitate to answer any questions you may have about the sport.  

If you want to find out more about these guns just go to http://www.airsoftzone.com and check out the forums.  You must sign up first, but once you do there is a endless wealth of knowledge.  There are 3 types of guns in airsoft.  The first, also the cheapest, gun is the spring type.  This means that there is no blowback and that the gun must be cocked manually for each shot and it fires only around 200 feet per second w/ .12 gram bb's.  They are mostly made out of plastic, but are only around 30 dollars.  The second type are Gas guns.  They use gasses like HFC134 (which is lower power) and HFC22 "green gas" (which is higher powered but may also damage your gun if you buy from a cheap compan).  There are also higher power gasses that I won't get into because they will just tear a gas gun to tatters and it's not really worth it.  The gas guns you should probably look into are all KSC (really nice guns.  (I myself own a KSC mac-11 w/ a surpressor and a MP5-PDW made by tokyo marui...will get into that in a few minutes).  KWA has alot of controversy around it....people say it has the exact same internals and things like that as KSC seeing as how they are the same company, but I have heard others complain about the sturdiness of their gun and it also does not come with trademarks which is a big - in my book.  There are a few gas assault rifles, but they are usually pretty old and only for collectors as they use an external gas source.  Incase you're wondering gas guns use enternal gas resevoirs that are stored insode of each magazine and can provide several mags worth of shots per fill.  Again just read up on this stuff over at the http://www.airsoftzone.com forums to get a better idea of how these work.  check out Dumborats Newbie FAQ as well...it's amazing.

The third type of guns are electric guns (AEG's which stands for Automatic Electric Gun).  These guns are the most cost effective as they can be charged over and over again.  They take either a mini battery (also known as the AK type...dunno why) and a large battery which is normally stored in the buttstock of the gun if one is allowed.  Mini batteries are used by guns with folding stocks or retractable stocks.  Mini batteries can shoot around 1300 shots per charge and larger batteries 1 or 2 thousand more shots.  Virtually every gun in real life has a counter-part in airsoft.  Tokyo Marui are the best in quality/price.  They provide extremely good looking and equally as good function.  I myself own a Tokyo Marui MP5-PDW which I just got last week and have been extremely happy with it.  There are other manufacturers like Classic Army which supply full metal MP5's and soon M4's and M16's stock.  Although there have been quality problems with CA guns in the past they have sorted those out with their version 2.0.  Manufacturers like TOP make heavy machine guns like the M249 minimi or the M60 in 3 versions.

I think i've babbled enough and if you want to continue looking into this sport it's probably the most realistic civilian wargame and I enjoy it immensly and I am just passing along the information hoping to get some other people into this little-known hobby.  GL guys and thanks for reading .

See ya in the skies.
-XNachoX

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Airsoft
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2002, 03:55:07 PM »
dude I would love to get into this sport, but its not here yet.
i was a big paintball player for about two years, owned an Autococker, but the hobby got to expensive and tedious and I just got tired.
but airsoft with those cool looking guns.. i should give it a try.
im still kind of skeptical about getting "kills" in airsoft. There is no paint, so it must be some kind of "honor" (i'm hit, I'm out) system.

that is prone to cheaters. do you have to play with a small group of friends you trust?

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
Airsoft
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2002, 04:28:47 PM »
Unfortunately it is based on an honor system and yes I do play w/ a close group of friends who i trust, but you wont get too many cheaters around b/c most people who play the sport are mature enough to handle it...if there is a cheater we get our guns and shoot him till he stops or leaves :D

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Airsoft
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2002, 05:14:33 PM »
Wow that looks seriously cool... unfortunately, being on the East coast I prolly wont see it for some time.  Gotta get me an M4A1.  ;-)  Is weight the same as the real life counterpart?

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
Airsoft
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2002, 05:20:59 PM »
it's almost exactly liek the real thing, but if u put a metal body on it (expensive) then it will feel pretty much exactly like the real gun.

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
Airsoft
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2002, 06:33:07 PM »
**Bump**

Offline NHFoxtro

• Copper Member
Airsoft
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2002, 09:25:29 AM »
Hey Nacho longtime no see :)

If there is no paint, what do they use?

Is this only in California?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Airsoft
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2002, 09:45:14 AM »
Do the BBs hurt more than the paintballs?

I took one (paint-ball) off the top of my "nogin" playing in the winter in Canada the last time I played outdoors.  It was cold and the ball didn't break...but it hurt like hell!  I was caught in a bad position and I raised my hands as soon as I got hit...didn't realize the paint-ball wasn't broken until I made it back to the rally area, but I was happy to leave the field, believe me!  

Playing indoors I got hit by a guy rushing the building I was in from about three feet away....hit me just above my left hip...that hurt like hell too...and the welt didn't go away for months.  It looked like I had a tennis ball under my skin for about a week too.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline NHFoxtro

• Copper Member
Airsoft
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2002, 10:09:27 AM »
BB's!!!!! The Hell  with That!!!! Had enough of them from my child hood. They penetrate the skin. I have a friend who got shot on the bridge of the nose and it never healed, untill one day he thought there was puss in it, started sqeezing it and the BB came out. F@#% that!!! I leave this sport to you young wipersnappers.  hehehe GL   :eek:

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
Airsoft
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2002, 10:42:07 AM »
Foxtro, they are plastic BB's... about 6mm in diameter.  I read that they don't hurt as much as paintballs.  At the velocities (under 300 fps for un-modified guns) they are spit out at, I don't think it breaks skin.  Ever seen those little toy guys in the toy stores that shoot those bright colored little plastic balls?  The ammunition is just like that.  But the guns are much better :)  Was thinking about getting into this too, but I'm not sure now that I may get more serious about archery (no, not running around shooting ppl kind of archery :D ).  

mauser

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Airsoft
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2002, 10:48:09 AM »
Plastic pellets?

No No No

I was into Paintball big time bak about 10 years ago.  I was the first guy to have an SMG-60 (paintball machine gun) and it was great.  I used to carry a paintball pistol around with me, and to lure the guys in. I'd unscrew the pistol's CO2 cartridge, so guys would think I was out of CO2 gas.  So, as they'd dive in thinking I was unarmed,  ra-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta....I'd hose em down with the automatic.

One guy (and I rub by ribs as I recall this) had some sort of "blunderbuss" gun....looked like the guns the pilgrims had.  It fired with 1 CO2 cartridge per shot (big gas cloud) but fired either 15 50 caliber paint balls or one big paintball grenade (more like a huge waterballoon).  I tried my "leak the gas to draw them in" on that guy, and he blasted me with that 15 paintball load at at range of about 20 feet.  I kid you not when I saw it lifted me off the ground.  Man that hurt like a mother.  All I saw was a huge cloud of gas and it felt like a swarm of bees attacked my chest! hehe

There are days I wish to play paintball again, but none of the fields allow autos of any kind anymore.  We had an organized team 10 years ago.  The guys keep talking about hitting the fields this summer, so who knows, maybe this is the summer we go back   :)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Airsoft
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2002, 12:15:32 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul
Plastic pellets?

I used to carry a paintball pistol around with me, and to lure the guys in. I'd unscrew the pistol's CO2 cartridge, so guys would think I was out of CO2 gas.  So, as they'd dive in thinking I was unarmed,  ra-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta....I'd hose em down with the automatic.

LOL....

I used a similar trick, no quite so sofisticated (I will remember yours for next time).... my tactic was to yell "I'm re-loading!"...then wait as they would pop out thinking they had me.  I used to love the expression on their faces when they were hit and realised they had been duped.

All is fair in love...and paintball!
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Airsoft
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2002, 12:43:45 PM »
Never played with paintball guns, they came along after my time. The closest I came to paintball was BB gun battles when I was a kid. Most kids had the single action cock old type spring action gun. My brother and I had the new pump type air rifles. We were supposed to be limited to only one pump. But of course, us being foolish kids, pumped em no telling how many times. I popped my bro in the neck with a 6 pump shot. That's the maddest I ever saw my brother. He came running at me like a grizzly. Me, being the brave manly man I was, ran like a scalded ape to the house to my momma! On another occasion, the same brother had a pellet go into his finger, had to have minor surgery to get it out. Dad was not happy. :eek:

Offline N1kPaz

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Airsoft
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2002, 12:47:19 PM »
geez its good to know other folks were as nuts as me as a kid. we used to have bb gun battles and we would cut the ends off whiffle ball bats and use them to launch bottle rockets at one another.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Airsoft
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2002, 12:56:50 PM »
Paintball is a new thing for me....I'm an old guy too.

As a kid in Bda we could never own BB guns (they were illegal)....we had rock fights instead.

A friend of mine lived in a house that had small white rocks as decoration underneath a balcony.  We would put piles all around the garden as ammo dumps.

Being part of the rock fight though, was one thing....arriving on one's bike in the middle of a rock fight which was underway was another.  The unwritten rule was that if someone showed up to play all participants immediately declared a truce..and the new arrival would get "rocked" from all sides.

One time, in his rush to get away after arriving late, one of our guys broke his leg while struggling to turn his bike around and get away.  He wiped out badly at the bottom of the driveway...but wisely managed to get up and hobble out of range before calling for help.  

...we were all throwing rocks in the direction of his voice until we realised that he was actually hurt.

In retrospect it is incredible luck that none of us lost an eye!