Author Topic: One-winged flying, eh?  (Read 588 times)

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
One-winged flying, eh?
« on: May 27, 2000, 08:19:00 AM »
Twice, yesterday, I lost one wing and yet was still able to fly and maneuver the aircraft..even avoided several gun-passes the first time around. (And then Maniac put me out of my misery). (That was in a F4U-1D)
2nd sortie, up in a P-38..same thing..lost a wing, happily ran away and ditched when I was clear.
What's up with that?.

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group

funked

One-winged flying, eh?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2000, 08:23:00 AM »
Sure you didn't just lose part of the wing?

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
One-winged flying, eh?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2000, 09:29:00 AM »
hehe...it's a game Daff..just like WB..they are just entertainment games....  , but great fun.

As you've noticed, flying with one wing is quite easy.  I've now got it mastered to the point of not just flying to a ditch or successful landing, but I have a best streak so far of 2 kills without a wing.  (Yes...a full wing gone according to the damage screen).   I think what helped me there was I turned better than the other guy because he had a handicap of having two wings.  

I suppose the flip side of this argument is that this amount of "no wing" experience, sure says a lot of negative things about how often I'm in a poor SA situation with bad guys.    It only happens to me in the "gang bang" MA, where I no longer fly to live, but simply wade into a furball and have a lot of shoot-em-up fun.

Regards,
Badger

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
One-winged flying, eh?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2000, 10:08:00 AM »
Hogs can lose the outter half of their wing and still handle quite well.  It happens alot, don't be surprized.

Cheers!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
One-winged flying, eh?
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2000, 11:44:00 AM »
Ah, I'll just keep shooting the plane til it explodes then, and if it just loses a wing, I'll make another pass.

Will kill all one wingers. Will be fun.

109 cannot even fly with a missing wingtip  

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
One-winged flying, eh?
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2000, 12:12:00 PM »
A B17 can fly very well without wingtips. ( I have pics   )
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
One-winged flying, eh?
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2000, 01:37:00 PM »

Originally posted by StSanta:
Ah, I'll just keep shooting the plane til it explodes then, and if it just loses a wing, I'll make another pass.

Will kill all one wingers. Will be fun.

109 cannot even fly with a missing wingtip  

CC...  If I can, I do...

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
One-winged flying, eh?
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2000, 01:46:00 PM »
Yeah, it varies according to plane type.  Some are quite easy to fly (I think the La5 is or was a good half-winger), some are near impossible (if you're lucky ina  205, you can get a ditch out of it), and some are impossible (The b17 with a half wing will crash.  If the guy has his convergence screwed, and you lose both tips, or if you make the mistake of engaging autopilot, you lose both tips, and that's not so bad.  Once -- after jumping to gunner too soon after a split-ess -- flew halfway across the beta arena in a b17 with no tips).
Now, a full wing missing is a different matter.
Still, just shoot them till they blow up.  Saves you the trouble of blowing all that out to pick off his chute  

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
One-winged flying, eh?
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2000, 03:35:00 PM »
The *entire* wing Daff? That usually spells the end for me right then and there. If the outter part goes missin' I'm usually able to ditch it in, but even then it's prolly only 50-50. Sometimes, like Dingy said, ya lose the outter part of both wings. If that's the case yer almost guarunteed survival, but yer effectiveness in the fight is pretty much gone. I can't comment on what this means in terms of the FM, but rest assured the arena aint filled with one winged planes   . I don't think I've ever been killed by one.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
One-winged flying, eh?
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2000, 03:42:00 PM »
I think missing wingtips should cause more problems than they do...

at least if a b17 looses a wingtip you know its going down.

pull the wings off any fighter and it merilly ditches.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

funked

One-winged flying, eh?
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2000, 03:46:00 PM »
There were quite a few planes in WW2 that came back with significant parts of the wing missing.

I think the key is that if you get hit hard enough to take off half a wing, you're probably going to have some serious secondary damage.

Sorrow[S=A]

One-winged flying, eh?
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2000, 04:59:00 PM »
La5 used to be able to fly around fine with 1/2 wing on right side. Now it is much much harder. You need to keep your speed above 220 mph IAS to fly level now.

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
One-winged flying, eh?
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2000, 02:17:00 AM »
Seems I saw this topic discussed quite some time back, during beta.  The explanation offered then, which still makes perfect sense, is that the damage you are seeing is a visual approximate.. in other words, you don't see dangling wires, shredded metal, etc.  You see a section of wing missing.  In AH, I'm sure to keep resource usage low and game play smooth, wings appear to come off in 3 major pieces.  This is obviously not realistic, as you could shred any particular length or section of a wing in real life.  This appears to be somewhat of a trade off between realism in graphics, and quality of game play.  Personally, I think it is a good tradeoff.  And as far as realism goes, it is pretty disturbing to lose an entire wing and look over my shoulder to see a jet of flames spewing from the stump that used to hold me in the air!  WTG HTC.  

------------------
Skorpyon
I/JG2 ~Richthofen~
"Feel the Sting......"

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
One-winged flying, eh?
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2000, 05:34:00 AM »
I've landed a B17, B26 and a F4U without both wingtips (back to airfield).  Got pics of the B26 and film of the B17.  If it's the buff, it's easier to control if both wingtips have gone (outside engine outward missing).

Regards

'Nexx'

[This message has been edited by Replicant (edited 05-29-2000).]
NEXX

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
One-winged flying, eh?
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2000, 06:33:00 AM »
I know that AH models weight and drag for the drop tanks so I can only assume they do they same for the whole plane, that's why I prefer to fly with as many flight controls as possible shot away, makes the plane lighter and more manuverable  

But seriously over at AGW WB forum and iEN's WB forum many debates have been put forth on creating drag, airframe shake, and degraded A/C handling due to the aerodynamic disruption which has to occur if a hole is shot in the wing or fuselage.
Any plane is gonna have some serious handling problems if the airflow over the wing is disturbed by jagged metal edges sticking up due to a 20mm round blasting thru it.

------------------
<< MILENKO >>
<===THE ASSASSINS===>Webpage

««You can kill me, Can't ya?»»