Author Topic: OSTWIND ROF???  (Read 1434 times)

dudedog

OSTWIND ROF???
« on: October 17, 2000, 05:46:00 PM »
Could the real Osti fire all 1 thousand rounds non-stop? With all this uber-osti talk goin around not that i care much) maybe we should implement changing ammo clips or over-heating barrels etc...

Nath-BDP

OSTWIND ROF???
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2000, 07:07:00 PM »
also for aircraft plz

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
OSTWIND ROF???
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2000, 11:42:00 PM »
The given rate of fire for the Flak 18 is 270-310 rounds per minute. If you use the Flak 36, which was used in half the Ostwind production [40], you get 320-340 rpm.

------------------
Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"My art is the wings of an aircraft through the skies, my music the deep hum of a prop as it slices the air, my thrill the thunder of guns tearing asunder an enemy plane."
Flakbait
19 September 2000

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
OSTWIND ROF???
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2000, 12:02:00 AM »
A very pertinent question is sustained Rate Of Fire.

If a gunner has to allow timing to come into his aim he will be more conservative on the trigger, waiting for a window of opportunity to send the maximum number of rounds to the target so as not to miss a better opportunity when there are clips being changed or belts being inserted into the receiver.

Right now all you do is hold the trigger down for one thousand rounds.  Although Im not sure of this, I doubt that the Osti had a thousand round clip or a single belt of ammo one thousand rounds long.

Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 10-18-2000).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
OSTWIND ROF???
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2000, 12:23:00 AM »
Hi

It used strips of about 10 or 12 rounds that had to be constantly replaced by hand as they were fired off, so it certainly was not belt fed or have any elaborate auto-loading system.

thanks GRUNHERZ

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
OSTWIND ROF???
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2000, 12:51:00 AM »
You could say the same thing about the M16. Those ammo boxes on each gun hold 250 rounds each. So if you wanted to give the Ostwind a delay while a fresh clip is loaded, you should give the M16 twice the delay. Why double the time? A clip can be slapped in faster than replacing a 250 round box of .50 cal ammo.

------------------
Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"My art is the wings of an aircraft through the skies, my music the deep hum of a prop as it slices the air, my thrill the thunder of guns tearing asunder an enemy plane."
Flakbait
19 September 2000

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
OSTWIND ROF???
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2000, 01:35:00 AM »
Planes should also suffer of the probable jamming of sustained fire..
those aren't miracle guns either with sustained fire..

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
OSTWIND ROF???
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2000, 05:47:00 AM »
Oooh imagine the new tactics; faking ammo change!

Would be cool; enemy dives on you thinking yer reloading. BWAHAHAHAHA!

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
OSTWIND ROF???
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2000, 06:39:00 AM »
If the German 37mm is loaded similar to the 40mm Bofors with large stripper clips, no you will not have a delay while the loaders are installing new clips. (I don't know if this is true or not)

Watch some of the wartime film clips of action in the Pacific on CV's during the Kamikaze attacks.

You can see whole lines (6-8 gun emplacements lined up beside one another) of guns, where the guns fire continuously for several minutes with loaders putting in new ammunition in the top of the gun as fast as the gun can fire them.

Now, there would eventually be a problem with barrel overheating. But if you do that to the player AAA guns, then it should be applied to all the guns in the game.

{Edit} By the way, I have a 40mm shell casing sitting in my Office at work. I got to visit a industrial facility where they "decomissioned" old shells by taking them apart and then exploding the fuses in a high temperature kiln. Now THAT was alot of fun   and I got paid for it at the same time.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited 10-18-2000).]