Author Topic: collisions  (Read 937 times)

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
collisions
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2002, 03:10:45 AM »
And one thing about real life collisions.
They are not as lethal as you all might think.
1st two planes that collide in RL normaly dont hit each other so that both explode.
More often both will miss some parts or if the collision was just a slight touch might even just miss some scratched of paint.

There was a special LW type of bomber interceptor, the "Sturmgruppen", each Pilot had to bring down a buff each sortie, even by raming if necessary.
And from those pilots that rammed a B17, most could bail after they did that.
In RL it really depends on the type of collision.

Edit: I flew in FA 2.5 for about 1 1/2 year, and i say the collision there sucked. Too often i was just killed by a dumphead who would not even try to evade the collision on his FE and BOOM i go even thought i am far away from him.
Also there were some funny effects that a collision could accure when both planes missed each other on both FE. I think FA had some kind of a third FE which was the position on the gameserver.
If on the server the positions matched there was a collision.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2002, 03:13:42 AM by Naudet »

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
collisions
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2002, 08:39:37 AM »
kraquen,

You collide on your FE, that means you can see it comming and therefore you can also avoid it, or at least try to avoid it.

This discussion about pops up every 2, 3 months, it has been talked over many times, there is no better solution than the one implemented at the moment. Live with it and learn to adapt to it, it's not that hard. Trying to avoid every single HO will make you collide much less.

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
collisions
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2002, 11:06:02 AM »
Wow, I didn't realize this was such a sensitive subject :D

I guess I'm not looking for a change to the collision model.  I just needed to understand what actually determines who is doing the colliding.  If its strictly a connection thing, which it kinda seems like it is, then I'll have to adjust my flying when the bastages are trying to HO me :D.  Cap off my 100 rounds and break earlier to avoid the collision.

Thanks for the help!  

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
collisions
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2002, 11:17:28 AM »
Originally posted by kraquen
1 person is penalized, 1 isn't..

Right. The person that collides on his or her FE is penalized. As it should be.

The person that avoids the collision on his or her FE is not penalized. As it should be.

BTW if both pilots see a collision on their FE they are both damaged. Again, as it should be.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline kraquen

• Zinc Member
collisions
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2002, 02:30:04 PM »
w/the system now, you're not playing the enemy, you're playing the lag..

so the result is 1 persons wing gets snapped by an imaginary object

this is bad mm'kay

right now if 1 guy knows he can get a 'ramkill' by turning at the last second so his FE doesnt' show a hit..

if 2 parties pursue an HO to the point where the milliseconds of lag are all it takes to cause a collision, both parties should be penalized or no parties should be penalized

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
collisions
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2002, 10:51:00 PM »
And now in the time it takes the host to find out if u hit the guy, and the host to get the news he hit u, and then send the message back to both your fe's you are well past the target and you all o sudden go pop...

the delay would create some whines i tell ya!

Especially from the guy who saw he missed you.

Kraquen? ever see planes apparently fly thru the ground?
Thats the same problem u encounter with collisions, you FE and his may not be in perfect synch, he maybe missing you by 5 feet, but on your FE you colllide...

Good the way it is

surely this should make you evade sooner? +)

SKurj

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
collisions
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2002, 06:44:03 AM »
Originally posted by kraquen
w/the system now, you're not playing the enemy, you're playing the lag..

so the result is 1 persons wing gets snapped by an imaginary object

this is bad mm'kay

right now if 1 guy knows he can get a 'ramkill' by turning at the last second so his FE doesnt' show a hit..

if 2 parties pursue an HO to the point where the milliseconds of lag are all it takes to cause a collision, both parties should be penalized or no parties should be penalized

You are mistaken.  You simply hit his image, or you don't.  It's that simple.  You can try to HO me all day long, and I'll simply avoid you and be fine.  You'll likely screw up and hit me sometimes... but only you will die for that.  I'll be fine as long as I evade your plane on my FE.  You are not "playing the lag", you are flying against what you see on your FE.  Don't hit his plane on your FE and you don't collide and get damage.  It's REALLY that simple.  There is no other reasonable way to do it.

If you think you have a better system, post it here, and I'll explain once again why this system is the only reasonable one.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
collisions
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2002, 10:30:28 AM »
What Lephturn said !

If you don't play the HO game, you won't die.  :p

Going for a HO is a lose lose proposition for you if the enemy has any sense at all.

Offline Mino

• Copper Member
collisions
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2002, 12:21:07 AM »
If you don't play the HO game, you won't die.  

LOL...

After all this time, sometimes I simply can't resist this game of chicken.  If the player wants to HO me, then I am game.  

The players who un-nervingly fly directly at you, don't manuver at all and with no notion of any thing but a HO firing pass are often the hardest ones pass up.

I might actually win a HO one of these times  :D

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
A thorough NETLAG explanation...
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2002, 11:37:29 AM »
If any of you would like a situational briefing on how NETLAG affects online flight SIMMS read Hoof's Page.  He provides excellent descriptions and scenarios to help you understand it better.  This page is written from "that other flight simm's" perspective, but I am positive they are very similar in operation.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
collisions
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2002, 02:07:27 PM »
which is why when you're outta ammo and theres a buff flying nice and straight, you can fly under it barely faster than it is, when its nose is at your hi 6 oc and you pull up hard, you fly VERY close to his nose, but on his FE he collides.

And thus... well, you get the idea.