Author Topic: 4 Kill sortie in B17...and landed =)  (Read 605 times)

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
4 Kill sortie in B17...and landed =)
« on: November 02, 1999, 09:16:00 PM »
The other night I had a 4 kill sortie in my B17.  Took off from field 7, which at the time was under bishop control.  I was flying east to bomb field 8.  I got up to about 5k when a P51 jumped me.  He came in at 3:00 high and swung around to 6:00 high.  By the time he was lined up for a shot his wing was gone =) Kill #1.  I believe the second kill was also a p51.  He did almost the exact same thing. Kill # 2.  The next fighter attack came while I was on the bomb run.  I scored 3 good hits on the airfield but couldnt turn around for another run because of the fighters chasing me.  By this time I was about 10k high.  A very smart LA5 pilot has flown directly beneath my b17 and then pulled straight up and raked me with 20mm shells.  I lost oil on engine #2 and lost an aileron too.  He did this maneuver again but this time I was watching him through the ball turret.  He got some good hits on me as he went vertical and pumped me full of 20mm shells.  I was able to kill him though. Kill #3.  I was then jumped by a spitfire.  I lined him up in the ball turret to get a good shot.  I pulled the trigger to fire the guns but no bullets came out!  Uh oh.  I jumped in the tail turret and scored some hits on him with the last remaining ammo I had.  The spit broke off to make another attack.  Luckily for me, a friendly p51 jumped him and shot him down, but I got the kill.  I was over the ocean but I decided I could fly home even with the damage I had: Tail Wheel damaged, pilot wounded, engine 2 leaking oil, 2 fuel tanks leaking gas, chin and ball turrets out of ammo, and 1 aileron missing.  I finally made it back close to base when an enemy N1K showed up.  Pretty scairy.  The base I was landing at was on top of a cliff and I was slightly lower than it.  The N1K-J was closing on me fast.  So I did the only resonable thing there was too do,pointed the plane straight down and landed as fast as I could =)  I still had my 2 chin guns and 2 waist guns, but I dont think that would have stopped the N1K-J from whacking me.