Author Topic: Are all you Italians "Mama's Boys" ?? ;)  (Read 608 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Are all you Italians "Mama's Boys" ?? ;)
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2002, 12:47:50 PM »
Originally posted by Raubvogel

Yeah no watermelon Mauser, I was amazed at how many houses in Hawaii have like 10 cars parked in front and 3 generations living inside. I dunno how they do it. I left home at 17 and never looked back. I couldn't imagine anyone staying at home until 30. My kids have both been forewarned...18 and out. They can go to college, but it's going to be one that's out of town ;)

Raub, I have Mutual funds set up for both my kids, I call it "Guilt Money", so when they 18, they get a load of cash, and a boot out the door!  Hell, I won't even be around, soon as the youngest graduates highschool, we're moving to Montana...there is not alot to do at a cabin, 7,000 feet in the Gravely Mtn range, and definately not a woman within 20 miles of the place...so I don't think they want to live at home! :D:D

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2002, 01:26:23 PM »
left home at 16.  

I have some house-mates that didn't leave home until their 30's and ok fine.. different culture.
unfortunately, these people still need to grow up.. always asking mommy to bail them out etc..    they never learned to stand on their own feet and are always blaming their problems on 'someone' or 'something' else.

What should they have learned by now ??? RESPONSIBILITY !

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2002, 04:01:01 PM »
Yeah no watermelon Mauser, I was amazed at how many houses in Hawaii have like 10 cars parked in front and 3 generations living inside. I dunno how they do it. I left home at 17 and never looked back. I couldn't imagine anyone staying at home until 30. My kids have both been forewarned...18 and out. They can go to college, but it's going to be one that's out of town

I think I've seen those houses ... not going there b/c I might get flamed for stereotyping ppl.  of a certain nationality :D.  I guess it just happens to be economical??  I wonder how ppl ever get privacy in those situations.  

When I have the oppurtunity to raise my own I'm going to try very hard not to make em spoiled and dependent.  Gosh I could see the kind of guy in Rip's article here everyday... parents buy him/her a Lexus IS300 (the current "cool" car for the priveledged kids) or a huge SUV; kid stays at home and thinks up excuses as to why these job offers they just got suck.  Or just don't even try at all.  No way I'm going to buy them one of those just because they graduated high school!  

Kids gotta be taught to be thankful for the help their parents give them, not expect it from them.   I know some who expect help from parents and older sibs... I don't think they will adjust to real life very well.  

mauser

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2002, 04:29:56 PM »
Originally posted by mauser

I think I've seen those houses ... not going there b/c I might get flamed for stereotyping ppl.  of a certain nationality :D.  

It's ok, you can say Samoan and Filipino around here ;)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2002, 04:35:28 PM »
Took my daughter to buy her 1st car last Saturday. The salesman said she was $200 short of the required down payment, looked at me and said "unless Dad wants to HELP YOU OUT". I stemmed my anger, and said "No. She is buying the car, not me, do YOU want to help her out?"

She got the car, without a co-signer and is paying her own insurance.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
I left home at 17, too......
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2002, 04:54:25 PM »
Snatched a little one bedroom apartment in a town 30 miles away, waited for my 18th birthday so I could legally work in the oilfields (fediddlein OSHA!!!), have only stayed with my folks for bried periods since then, and only out of necessity.
OTOH, I worked at a gypsum wallboard plant from 1986-90 and there were several men there who still lived at home with Mom and Pop.......the oldest was in his late forties :eek: :eek: :eek: .

I've told my kids they're gonna have to be planning on their own places and jobs before they turn 18 or graduate high school, none of this "I'll look tomorrow for a place.  Going out with the guys, cya later folks!"
Incentive to go to college and get an education (not party all the time):  My grandparents set up a trust fund for my two sisters and I; when my dad passes on (which hopefully will not be anytime soon) we each get an equal share of the moneys in the fund.  I've already talked to the trustee in charge of the accounts, am gonna give my kids the full ride to college and a good vehicle to get them back and forth........PROVIDED that they make the grades and do what the hell they are supposed to do there, not party all the time and flunk out.  If they choose the party route, the rug gets pulled out, the car/truck/SUV comes back home to Papa (me) and they sink or swim on their own.
Harsh?  Not in my book.  Too many kids who have everything handed to them on a silver platter never appreciate what is done for them and expect things to just be provided for them at their leisure.  Make 'em earn their way, or part of it, and they find out that nothing comes easy or free.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2002, 08:22:48 PM »
19 and still living at home

Not that my parents aren't trying as hard as they can to get me out:D
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline bashwolf

• Copper Member
      • http://www.fly.to/airwolves
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2002, 08:39:20 PM »
"my little brother did the permanent teenager thing till he was 30. I never could understand it, I'd rather be broke under my own roof than comfortable under someone elses."

capt. apathy you should of left your parents the day your born in hospital :)

Each country has there own values, culture etc.  We cant expect others values culutre to be same as yours mine etc.

:)

Have a nice day all

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2002, 11:22:04 PM »
never said i expect others to do things my way.

just said i don't 'get it'

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2002, 10:29:33 AM »
its funny when you hear the "i left home the day i could" crap talk to you idgits moms bet you get a different story.

the difference is the concept of extended family you need it when you dont make 6 figgures . and conservatives who have cash tend to have several x wives so kids are a burden. sad toejam

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2002, 12:23:56 PM »
That son is probably an idiot but many of us here think that those high court judges are not better.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2002, 05:22:45 PM »
Hehe...I plan to move out once I'm 18 and get married at 19...cause you see...I'm different that way... I'm only waiting until I turn 18 cause right now I can just barely afford rent at the aparments me and my fiancée are looking at. Since she's applied for a job, she's going to assist in this for the next 9 months...after that and I'm 18...bye-bye...:D

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2002, 08:07:57 AM »
Originally posted by mauser

When I have the oppurtunity to raise my own I'm going to try very hard not to make em spoiled and dependent.  Gosh I could see the kind of guy in Rip's article here everyday... parents buy him/her a Lexus IS300 (the current "cool" car for the priveledged kids) or a huge SUV; kid stays at home and thinks up excuses as to why these job offers they just got suck.  Or just don't even try at all.  No way I'm going to buy them one of those just because they graduated high school!  

Kids gotta be taught to be thankful for the help their parents give them, not expect it from them.   I know some who expect help from parents and older sibs... I don't think they will adjust to real life very well.  

mauser

FYI, I was raised in an upper income family, but earned everything that I bought, same will be for my children (hell, the 6 yr old already buys his own stuff now, with a slave-allowance ;) ), the only thing that they will get from us is an education.  I think that's something we should offer them.  Spoiled? Hardly.  They'll learn the value of the dollar and if they want something, bad enough, they'll get a job to earn, as I did.

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2002, 09:17:53 AM »
I was tearing Okinawa up, at 17 in the Marines.
Came home from Boot camp, went out with some friends that had too be in the house at 10. My mom said "How can I tell a Marine that he needs too be in the house at 10".:)

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2002, 01:57:57 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
FYI, I was raised in an upper income family, but earned everything that I bought, same will be for my children (hell, the 6 yr old already buys his own stuff now, with a slave-allowance  ), the only thing that they will get from us is an education. I think that's something we should offer them. Spoiled? Hardly. They'll learn the value of the dollar and if they want something, bad enough, they'll get a job to earn, as I did.

Yes, that is what I would prefer, having them learn the value of money.  I remember wanting stuff when I was little (mostly hot-wheels cars and plastic models), but thankfully my parents didn't cave in all the time.  When it comes to an education though, I didn't mention in my post that my parents paid for my bachelor's degree.  We tried to get financial aid, but didn't qualify (and didn't want to get in debt with loans).  However, they felt that it was their job to provide the money for our education, which I am forever greatful for.  I know some parents who made their children work through college, and that is really up to them I don't have anything to say about that.  I was able to get tuition waivers and a fellowship for all but 1 semester of my master's.  So no, I don't think you're spoiling your children if you elect to pay for their education.  Of course if they're just staying in school and accumulating not just one or two degrees and are refusing job offers...  

mauser