Author Topic: Compilation of Radar and Icon Suggested Alterations  (Read 191 times)

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Compilation of Radar and Icon Suggested Alterations
« on: August 01, 2001, 10:45:00 AM »
Because there has been much debate, if you can call it that, about the radar situation I have tried to capture all of the suggestions as made in some recent posts.  I have tried to sift through it all and pick out the general points.  If I have missed any I apologize as it was not intentional.  I do not personally endorse any of the suggestions so the order in which they appear is not intended as a best to worst.  So here they are and have at it:

Radar:

1)  Dot turns off when inside the 6.0K icon range.
2)  Remove dot DAR altogether.
3)  Remove bars and dot at a predetermined distance behind enemy lines.  1 1 / 2 sectors suggested.
4)  Remove bars at a predetermined distance from the closest tower (field).  30 miles suggested.
5)  Remove dot at a predetermined distance from the closes tower (field).  10 miles suggested.
6)  Remove dot and bars under XXX feet for NOE operations.  500 feet suggested.
7)  Variable detection distances based on altitude.
8)  Friendly only radar.
9)  Dot updates every 5-10 seconds instead of continuously.
10)  Extend dot range to 25 miles from the tower only.
11)  HQ destruction kills in-flight radar only.  As long as the dish is intact at a field, so should radar from the tower.
12)  Bar only while in-flight.
13)  Change the bar for vehicles to get around NOE operations and vehicle detection.
14)  No in-flight radar but give the pilot the ability to “contact” the tower for a radar update.
15)  Radar information from the tower only, no in-flight radar provided to pilots.
16)  No radar.

Icons:

1)  Leave the icon range at 6.0K but take out the actual distance.  The icon would change hue and color the closer the contact gets.
2)  Icon font changes with the distance between contacts.
3)  Plane identification is removed with only the distance and country on the icon.
4)  Remove the range altogether and reduce the range at which icons appear.
5)  Friendly icons at 6.0K and enemy icons at 3.0K
6)  Remove the range when the contact comes with in 1.0-.05K.
7)  Change range increments to rounded hundreds under 1.0K.
8)  Increase icon range based on aircraft size.  Bombers would show before fighters and farther than 6.0K.
9)  No icons.

Granted that there have been some good suggestions.

Zippatuh

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2001, 10:49:00 AM »
you left out... leave it just the way it is but eliminate ground vehicles from the dar or make their bar different somehow and...

leave it the way it is but add altitude information.
lazs

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2001, 01:52:00 PM »
I did forget leave it the way it is and add altitude information.

Vehicle bar was number 13 under “radar”.

Zippatuh

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2001, 03:20:00 PM »
additions...  inflight dot dar is not real time.  the dots update once per X minutes (1 or 2 minutes probably).   Inflight dot dar is limited to the radar dish range of the friendly field you're the closest to (or only from the field you took off from for a different approach.)  This is a variation on several of the above points.

Icons.  replace the range number with a rate of closure counter.  This doesn't have to be an exact number, just a general to give the idea of "you're closing fast/slow" "you're outdistancing fast/slow" "you're losing ground fast/slow."  This came from hearing someone say they liked the range counter the way it is to judge ROC, because it is hard to tell at times given the limitations of the monitors.  (I think it was Fatty, but not sure...)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.