Author Topic: Combat theatre..a failure??  (Read 1353 times)

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Combat theatre..a failure??
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2002, 03:48:45 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
axis vs allies is the problem.   While at first galnce an "historical" setting seems really cool and immersive...  Anyone with even a rudimentary grasp of WWII knows that there were very few periods of parity and variety.   That translates very poorly to a .... GAME.

The only real time for parity is BOB and it is very limited for planeset.   Not for everyone.   the nuimbers in the CT went up tho during BOB times..  a no brainer.  

Having said that... You could increase numbers in the CT by simply shutting down the MA.   WB did it and they increased the "historical" numbers..  course numbers as a whole went down the dumper and have never recovered.

Having nightime in the MA or having the MA closed increases CT numbers.   Electro shock would probly work too as would death threats or threats against family members of players who insisted on playing in the MA.
lazs

lol this did make me chuckle :)

Offline Asmodan

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.raf303.org
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2002, 03:57:10 PM »
There are few of us that remembers begining of AH ....

Max numbers on MA was 30 to 60 player`s....

And i got to say that we had less planes, no GV`s and CV`s..

less people, but we had a lot of fun...

Most of that great people that started on AH beta are already gone from AH comunity.. but they are not forgoten !

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2002, 04:22:33 PM »
Most of that great people that started on AH beta are already gone from AH comunity.. but they are not forgoten !

Oh yeah? Name them! :D

Offline Asmodan

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.raf303.org
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2002, 04:39:32 PM »
Bee from JG/2

FunkedUP 308th

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2002, 04:56:37 PM »
Let me explain why I do not love CT.

I have intensive and arcade expirience in MA. I know, that in a real world panzers do not use warp engine to cover 20 miles in a second, and ports do not construct fleets every 10 minutes, but I take it as a part of a game, as I take it that pawns can become queens in chess.

If I really want an imersion I go for scenarios, because their multiframe and team playing makes me want to sirvive, and go home alive. They give me a feeling of beeing in the real plane, shooting other real planes... Roleplaying, by other words.

CT has little of first, and little of second. Not enough to be first or second. It is worse MA than MA, and worse scenario than scenario. I come there for action, but get few, I come there for immersion, but has it broken in minutes.

It is all IMHO.

Fariz

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2002, 05:04:38 PM »
I don't fly in the CT for two reasons:

Ganging. 3 against one feels worse than 10 against 30. Don't know why, but it does.

Perk points. I don't mind having to build up an account, but when I pop in two weeks later to see a plane set up that interests me; it enrages me to see my perks gone.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2002, 05:49:10 PM »
Good point seeker.. losing my perks every rotation is aggravating. I don't care about scores, i do want to fly the rides i like.. and they are usually perked.

as for only 12 guys on?? you guys crack me up. the only planes i give a damn about are the ones i'm killin or the ones that are tryin ta kill me. every thing else is just draggin the frame rate down. 12 is just fine. the one or two i'm engaged with, the other 9 or 10 don't freakin matter.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2002, 06:21:25 PM »
don't you mean the 2 or 3 *with* you enganged (yeah, i spelled it this way deliberately) *on* me, hang?

;)
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2002, 08:11:29 PM »
Originally posted by Fariz
Let me explain why I do not love CT.

I have intensive and arcade expirience in MA. I know, that in a real world panzers do not use warp engine to cover 20 miles in a second, and ports do not construct fleets every 10 minutes, but I take it as a part of a game, as I take it that pawns can become queens in chess.

If I really want an imersion I go for scenarios, because their multiframe and team playing makes me want to sirvive, and go home alive. They give me a feeling of beeing in the real plane, shooting other real planes... Roleplaying, by other words.

CT has little of first, and little of second. Not enough to be first or second. It is worse MA than MA, and worse scenario than scenario. I come there for action, but get few, I come there for immersion, but has it broken in minutes.

It is all IMHO.

Fariz

Fariz,
You are one who needs to give it more of a chance.  You will be surprised.  I see you have logged 3 hours in the CT in the past 3 months.  The CT can be dull at times, but it can also be even more intense than the MA.  There are times that you can spend 80% of your time engaged in good fights, and there are times that you can really see what was so great about a particular plane, that is when it is fighting it's true advisary.
Give it more time bud.

eskimo

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2002, 08:33:16 PM »
don't you mean the 2 or 3 *with* you enganged (yeah, i spelled it this way deliberately) *on* me, hang?

Well, hell; yes! Damn son, didn't you learn anything [/i] in all those tours in the MA about furrball poaching, gang banging, vultching or how to camp?

...or how to poach the poachers?

:cool:
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2002, 08:37:45 PM »
Originally posted by Asmodan
There are few of us that remembers begining of AH

OH I dunno about that.

I've been here since beta, and still reconize quite a few "old" hands.
Then I see alot of new faces as well.

Both arenas have good and bad about em.

I like the CT's smaller feel and almost non-existant "kiddie" chatter. (read that as profanity and disrespectfullness)

I like the MA for it's massive furballs.

In the words of the immortal Peter Paul;
"Sometimes ya feel like a nut, sometimes ya don't, Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds don't!"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The CT a failure?
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2002, 08:56:21 PM »
Depends on what you set as the "threshold" for failure, doesn't it?

For example, most nights the TA has more people in it than the CT, but not a whole lot more. So is the TA a failure?

People are clearly having fun in the CT and some prefer it to the point of exclusivity. Do you think those people would call it a failure?

I guess it just depends on your personal standards and goals.

I must say, however, that the one thing that struck me as truly funny was this concept:

If the overwhelmingly vast majority of people won't willingly come out of the MA to play in the "altered world" of the CT then the solution is to FORCE them into it....

.... rather than possibly making a few changes to the CT to ATTRACT them to it.

Or am I way off base here? Perhaps there are some more folks.. in good numbers.. that might find the CT much more attractive if it offered a few more MA features?

Nah, I must be crazy... sorry to interrupt. :)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2002, 08:57:05 PM »
Originally posted by milnko

In the words of the immortal Peter Paul;
"Sometimes ya feel like a nut, sometimes ya don't, Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds don't!"

That's just great, thanks Milnko. I can't get that song out of my head now.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2002, 09:04:25 PM »
But Toad, we humans have an amazing ability to ignore the obvious if it suits our needs. ;)

This comment is not directed at the CT staff, only the people proposing forcing CT characteristics on the MA.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2002, 09:46:57 PM »
I am not sure, I haven't kept count, but this might be the 4th time somebody has suggested that the MA be shut down and the CT rammed down everybodys throat so they can be educated.

If you dont mind, I will stay with the MA, so I can jump in, get in quick fights, and have some instant gratification.  :)

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"