Author Topic: Combat theatre..a failure??  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Combat theatre..a failure??
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2002, 12:23:37 PM »
I don't know why I dont fly in the combat theatre.
In warbirds the HA was the only place I wanted to fly, to me the MA was a waste of time with its unrealistic setup and unrealistic plane matchups and long range icons.

but,
playing in a main arena since beta screws with your mind a bit I guess. now the same things I used to despise in arena settings seem to have somehow become preferable.

now I like the challenge of facing so many combinations of different aircraft. more is better. the limited planeset of the CT (ie: hurr,spit vs 109e,110c) just does not hold my interest at all.

I like the stupid awacs because i am ussually too lazy to check my 6 so i just look at the clipboard and watch for bandits and givemyself radar vectors to the evil doers.
I like the quick travel times to get to the fight in the MA

the real reasons the CT will never have more than a few people who only fly there and not the MA is because the MA delivers so much more diversity in planes, dogfights, strat, ground battles and number of players.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2002, 12:27:18 PM »
The CT area was really hard to get going in the beginning. Limited planes that don't support the "ideal" allied vs axis is one problem. HTC is adding planes and this will shortly be a non issue.

Second is the maps. The maps were not designed for a 2 sided war and some were quickly redesigned and added, and quite frankly some just didn't cut it.

Perdonia was the first map designed for a 2 sided war, and I though it had some success. Still with the lower numbers IMO Perdonia is still to big for 30 players to have fun, 60-200 sure but not 30.

Tunisia will debute this weekend ( I think) It's a much smaller map 128x128. It has everything that the MA has (strats)  It has CV groups, small DE groups for scouting, and a Battle group for hunting. Theres trains, barges and truck convoys to destroy. Ports and feilds by shoreline have SHore batts. The ground vehicle asaults are more than abuntant. There should be something for everyone. Hopefully this map will satisfy a broader player base, the furballers, the ground pounders, the carrier guys, the jabo'ers, buffers ( although I hope it's only meduim bombers) Osty jocks, and the mission guys. Attacking "Rommels" defensive line is "white knuckles" and gives me the feeling I have flying senerios. This should be enjoyable to many. I tried to incorporate the GV's back into the game balance with air support. Comms between Ground and Air will definately help and will be much needed.  

I'm sorry for whoever posted that the MA should be shut down to force people in the CT. MOSTLY everyone that flies the CT don't feel this way or in any way "elitist"  I fly the CT, and fly the MA and have fun in both.  

So stop by and visit this New map ( already posted on the HTC main page) This map was built to have fun, nothing more, nothing less.  So check your attitudes at the door and bring SUNSCREEN!

NUTTZ

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2002, 12:54:56 PM »
Toad, Kieren, seeker, sounds good. Some of what you bring up we cannot do (like doing something other than axis vs. allies)

Having a full-time axis vs. allied arena would be worth giving a go in my opinion (just my opinion). If it were left alone for a long period of time it might just be discovered.

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2002, 01:16:08 PM »
Toad,
 Maybe good advertising?  I dunno.  If there isnt at least
25 people in CT it will dwindle to 0.  Thats the point I was
trying to make at the top of the thread. How many people
dont fly CT because there are too few people in there?  
  1, 10, 15, what if there were 250 that didnt come over just
because there is only 12 people in there.  If thats the
case, then somebody has to figure out how to prime the pump.
  No, shutting down MA is not the way, I suggested a CT
format rotate in the MA as a trail???  I can see why this is not
popular either.  And definatley people threatening to
cancel subscription speaks very loudly.  
  (Its ironic, these same arguments took place at AW.
  the same people who threatende to cancel  if AW
changed anything, didint bat an eyelid to bail when they
saw people moving to AH)
  Fact is MA is AH.  that is the fact.  Without MA, AH dont thave the
 revenue to continue.  I just think we (MA) should be open to
small experiments so the MA can grow.   I wouldnt mind
a little variety.   ( please dont tell me to go elsewhere,
I pay $15 bucks a month too)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2002, 01:20:30 PM »
NUTTZ

thanks for the smaller map
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Check my sig, Whitehawk..
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2002, 01:26:00 PM »
.. I don't ever tell anyone "what to do" with their subscription fee.

Experiment?

Sure.. that's why we even have the CT.

MANDATORY Experiment? Altering the MA to cater to what is obviously a very small percentage of the player base "thinks they want THIS week" on a rotating basis?

No way.

The MA is a "tried and true" product line that the vast majority of players log into every night because they know what they want and they know what they'll get. Standardization, consistent product, no surprises. It is clearly the "preferred" product here.

When I've only got 90 minutes to play, that's what I want. I'd be major p*ssed if I logged in for the only 90 minutes I was going to get to play all week and suddenly it was "Experiment" time in the MA and some boring setup was being forced on me.

Offer experimental stuff in experimental venues.. like the CT. Those in search of something different will find it if they truly seek it.

Or is that too fair for ya?  ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2002, 01:31:35 PM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2002, 01:49:02 PM »
Originally posted by NUTTZ
I'm sorry for whoever posted that the MA should be shut down to force people in the CT. MOSTLY everyone that flies the CT don't feel this way or in any way "elitist"  

Agreed.  We'd like to have more of you in there, but only because you WANT to be there.  By definition, those who identify more with a chess piece than a country (you know who you are), those who insist on flying with their squads (you know who you are, too) and those who demand the right to fly a particular plane (we know who you are) are not happy in CT, and probably never will be.  There are no issues of skill, or tactics, or courage involved in picking the MA instead of the CT.   Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

But I'll bet you 'd enjoy it more if you spent more time there.

- Oldman

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2002, 02:35:32 PM »
hblair... for a fat bald guy you are pretty free with that 'old fart' stuff.   Bet I got more hair, less fat than you and can whup you in arm wrestling even without geritol...  not that that matters eh?

soo..  Now that we got that out of the way, what do you think of my opinion?   Ah hell... just respond to toad it's really the same thing.   I don't really care if the CT ever get's any numbers as allied vs axis is pretty boring but you can lessen the boredom and sticker shock if you wish to increase numbers.    Look at the things you are doing in there.... You are setting up fantasy terrains with fantasy planesets and substitutions... you have "What if scenarios" constantly...  And this is "realism"??   This is the immersion that you guys tout??   You have even less realistic features than the MA and for what??  Allied vs axis?   So that you can get people to fly and fight in an allied vs axis arena that will allways lack parity and variety buy virtue of being..... allied vs axis.

If allied vs axis is the holly grail then you need to do as toad and (ahem) "others" have suggested and simply keep all the MA settings but with allied vs axis...  go from there.   let the endless arguements about side balancing comence.
lazs

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2002, 02:56:23 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
hblair... for a fat bald guy you are pretty free with that 'old fart' stuff.   Bet I got more hair, less fat than you and can whup you in arm wrestling even without geritol...  not that that matters eh?

LOL  .. old fart, new ones are pretty bad too :D
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2002, 03:07:35 PM »
I bet you weigh less too lazs. Looking at the pictures I've seen of you I'd say you weigh 130 lbs. What's that prove?
Still armwrestle? Haven't done that since high school but hey maybe we can hook up and you can beat me someday. That might make you feel better about yourself. I'm all for it.

All that other stuff you typed about the CT has no merit You don't participate in that arena, you don't know what it needs.

Offline Karaya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2002, 04:33:38 PM »
the CT is not a failure. the people are.

the CT requires a higher attention rate than the MA. pilot workload is higher.

in general people always take the path of least resistance. the MA is that path.

ever since the inception of the CT in Warbirds or AH, the flux of masses is always easy to diagnose....when the arena is opened we see a flux of people checking it out followed by just a few diehards playing all the time.

the CT is a success in my book and i hope they keep it.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2002, 05:25:23 PM »
>the CT requires a higher attention rate than the MA. pilot
>workload is higher.

:rolleyes:
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2002, 08:33:36 AM »
well gee hblair... you sound picked on and self rightious now huh?   Insults just aren't as fun when people respond eh? Oh, not that it matters but i weigh around 185.   should probly dump 10 pounds tho... don't want to get flabby like you eh?
lazs

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2002, 08:53:34 AM »
lol lazs, when have you ever made a post without an insult involved? Are you seeking justice now? :)

And if it doesn't matter about your weight don't post it. You think we care what you weigh? What are you, a woman?

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2002, 09:32:40 AM »
Ol' Laszie got the same problem as the midget in the nudist colony. Keeps sticking his nose in where it don't belong. :D