Author Topic: Everything okay in Ft.Worth?  (Read 417 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Everything okay in Ft.Worth?
« on: April 17, 2002, 08:45:58 AM »
I saw a rash of Tornado's and high winds hit the area last nite...

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2002, 08:55:06 AM »
Ft. Worth got pretty beat up.  It hardly rained in Grapevine through all that nasty weather.  Pretty wierd storm.

The local meteorologists are all pretty dumbfounded as to why it happened.  Apparently, the jet stream split in two above the Metroplex which caused the massive updraft and set off the storms, but they do not know why the jet stream split.

I have not heard of any deaths related to this, so that is good.  Another odd thing though.  A church was not harmed, but the buildings around it were destroyed.  In the business district, a pawn shop was leveled.
Read into it what you will, it was just a freaky event.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2002, 09:11:37 AM »
Cool, glad it was not as bad as reports made it out to be.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2002, 09:28:30 AM »
The media does tend to be a bit irresponsible when reporting these types of events from the outside looking in.

When that earthquake in CA happened several years ago (the one where the Oakland Bay bridge collapsed), the remote media made it sound like CA was falling into the ocean.

I happened to be about half a mile from the epicenter of that queake (fisrt earthquake I ever went through) working in a pre-earthquake approved building on the second floor.
The building collapsed around me, but I got out with only a few bruises, and my hotel slid down the hill it was on and I had to sleep in my car the that night.  When I finally got a call through to my family here in Texas, they told me what was being reported and I was pissed.  Dang media made it sound 100's times worse than it was.

So it goes.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2002, 09:36:25 AM »
Skuzzy said,
"The building collapsed around me", and "my hotel slid down the hill it was on".

I dunno Skuzzy, that sounds pretty bad to me. :eek:

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2002, 09:41:35 AM »
Where I live, Irving, is where a major part of the storm came through.  It rained pinball sized hail for a half hour with strong winds.  The sirens were blaring for about an hour, but no tornados ever appeared.  It was pretty crazy.
The storm last about an hour and a half, then about 5 minutes after the rain stopped, it was clear and sunny.  Gotta love Texas weather.  :)
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2002, 09:57:02 AM »
Originally posted by SUPERFLY
Where I live, Irving, is where a major part of the storm came through.  It rained pinball sized hail for a half hour with strong winds.  The sirens were blaring for about an hour, but no tornados ever appeared.  It was pretty crazy.
The storm last about an hour and a half, then about 5 minutes after the rain stopped, it was clear and sunny.  Gotta love Texas weather.  :)

lets just hope there's no "micro bursts" as we all fly into DAL/FTW on July 31st/Aug 1st.  One micro-burst can ruin your entire day on final approach! :eek:

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2002, 01:31:56 PM »
ah, it was just a passing shower.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2002, 01:45:06 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort

lets just hope there's no "micro bursts" as we all fly into DAL/FTW on July 31st/Aug 1st.  One micro-burst can ruin your entire day on final approach! :eek:

AUG 2 1985 or 86 one hit accross the street from DFW and took a plane down with it :(  That night I was driving on the freeway for the first time behind the wheel in my life, in pooring down rain going home from galveston w/  my step dad.  We heard it on the radio.  I'll never forget that night.

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2002, 04:54:50 PM »
it was 86..... I remember it well.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2002, 08:15:42 PM »
LOL Skuzzy! I called my brother, who was in Oakland at the time shortly after the quake... he said "..what earthquake??"

(Being a native californian, I knew this was simply cali speak for 'no biggie, my toejams ok.')

I got even tho.. a few years later a hurricane blew thru here.. he called me; height of the storm,  as we were bailing water outta the blown-out second floor windows... my reply was "what hurricane??"
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2002, 08:34:21 PM »
Well Hang,..all things are relative I guess.  Growing up on the coast of Texas (Corpus Christi) I cannot remember how many hurricanes we went through.

The one I remember was Beulah.  The frakin media reported it like Corpus was blown from the map.  We did lose our house and I was at Lake Mathis in a lake house leaning against a mattress against a glass sliding door for 13 hours to keep the door from blowing in.
Watching homes literally blow up around us, it was probably the most fear I ever experienced.  It made the quake a cake walk.  .....although I did feel like a NFL running back running down the hall to get out of that building while walls were falling and the floor was buckling under me.  Now I know how they feel when they get told to go up the center. :)
Was quite an experience, and I have not beem back to CA since then.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Aurelius

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com  http://www.aurelius.8m.net/aceshigh
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2002, 09:41:05 AM »
Drive down 820 south close to the exit of 20. Everything is fine until you start to see all this debris in the medium and in the road. Then when you come over the bridge down both sides of the road left and right,  for about two miles, is houses, power lines and restaurants just torn to bits. Police have the whole area blocked off still and all kinds of construction workers and vehicles in the area. Some houses did make it with little or no damage but there are some in the path that looks like the back lumber room at Home Depot.

Offline rickod

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2002, 01:26:06 PM »
I live in irving and I got hail ranging in size from pinballs to golf balls took out my bedroom window and the sliding glass door on the side of my house as well as several neighbors .

I have saved several of the large hail stones to show my step son when he comes out next weekend

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2002, 01:33:02 PM »
i hope no one who plays is hurt i remember being in a arena with a guy near lovers feild and he said the sirens were wailing away.