Author Topic: Trees and the Ground War (needs a serious look HT)  (Read 101 times)

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Trees and the Ground War (needs a serious look HT)
« on: April 27, 2002, 06:57:18 PM »
Yesterday on the Lake Uterus map, I'm in a panzer attacking A44.  Lost a track to a BarbieFire so I'm going to shell the base.  I'm getting hit by something, no planes around, so I assume it's the player manned guns.  I turn my attention to the base and pop every AA gun I can see.

But I'm still getting hit.  

Finally was killed (or .ef'ed, don't remember which) and went back to almost the same spot.  There it was, the gun by the NE fighter hanger.  I couldna see it before because of a tree.  Whels was shooting me from that gun.  Private conversation with Whels to ask WTF revealed that he didn't see any trees around and had no problems at all targeting me.  The tree that kept me from killing his gun didn't do anything to keep him from targeting me, because it wasn't on his screen.  As I recall it, the range from my position to that gun emplacement was around 2800yds.

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
Re: Trees and the Ground War (needs a serious look HT)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2002, 08:36:34 PM »
Originally posted by CavemanJ
BarbieFire

:D

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2002, 05:17:01 AM »
Yep, I've experienced the same problem Caveman.  What normally happens is that you receive a group of trees around your location and the enemy GVs also receive a group of trees around their location.  You can't see their trees and they can't see your trees but obviously your trees could be obscuring your field of fire and vice versa.  

Of course when you are near to a field then the tree clutter is removed within a certain radius to the field (they were removed because the random tree placements were turning up at the end of runways and causing aircraft collisions etc.).  Therefore Whels didn't have any obstructions but you did.

I really don't know a way around this, I know it can be damn frustrating.  Is there a way that what appears on your FE to appear on the other persons FE but only when in GVs?  This may have been reduced due to it being a FR hit?

Regards
NEXX

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2002, 06:49:24 PM »
"To tree or not to tree, that is the question"

Shakespere ACT IIVVVXXXX
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2002, 02:04:56 PM »
Yup seen this same thing often in GV's or PT's.  I Was shelling a town in a PT.  Just drigting slowly and i was hitting the building I was aiming at, when all o sudden the trees were rendered and only then did my shots get stopped by the trees...

SKurj