Author Topic: What Keep's the Dot Centered?  (Read 660 times)

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
What Keep's the Dot Centered?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2002, 05:34:28 PM »
...cont

HFMudd,
The yaw damper computers also keep the ac from tail-wagging in turbulence.  The yaw dampers are so important that a DC10 ,for example, must have 2 of the 4 installed systems operational before it can take off.

WW2 airplanes didn't have yaw dampers but maybe HT modeled them to fly as if they did.

DJ229
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2002, 06:18:08 PM »
...cont

The rudder input to coordinate the turn is mainly necessary to counter the drag resulting from the lift created by the aileron diplaced downward.  Any time you create lift, drag is also created.  An aileron farther out on the wing also creates more yaw such as on aircraft with unusually long wings such as gliders.  The faster you go, less aileron is required for the same roll rate resulting in less yaw and less rudder required.  A DC10 locks out the outboard ailerons when the leading edge devices retract somwhere between 250-270 knots. Jet transport ac also use spoilers in combination with ailerons to reduce drag and resulting yaw. Hope this explaination more than it confuses anyone.
DJ229
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
Re: What Keep's the Dot Centered?
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2002, 06:43:29 PM »
Originally posted by 28sweep
2) Now I have USB Ch Pro Pedals.  I installed the software and and went to set-up/joystick I think-the screen where u have x, y ,z and some coordinates?  So I push down the pedals and the coordinates change and look ok and when I fly it's all screwed up.  I guess I am looking for some help in the set-up of the pedals in AH.  I'm at work and don't exactly rember where I screwed-up this morning?

X Axis: Left brake
Y Axis: Right brake
Z Axis: Rudder

I don't use the CHController software for AH, I just set everything in the Stick Setup dialog.  It's a pain sometimes, because it seems if I ever unplug anything I have to re-assign all the axis and buttons, but it's bulletproof otherwise.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Mino

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2002, 06:30:25 AM »
Keep one this in mind.  A Cessna 172 or a Taylorcraft fly at low speed.  Lets say 150knots or less.  At those speeds the rudder does have a much greater effect.

But....

At higher speeds the rudder effect becomes much less.  If your cruising along at 350knots, it does not have much effect at all.

The rudder is the control that you use to keep the ball centered.

Now to keep the ball centered, you use your rudder the same side the ball moved  IE: "Step on the ball".

This works in AH.  At low speeds you have a great deal of effect upon yaw using the rudder, at higher speeds much less.

Personally, I don't pay much attention to it, except on take off or high altitude turns.