Author Topic: The Yak9T...kills tanks dead...oasties too.  (Read 858 times)

Hans

The Yak9T...kills tanks dead...oasties too.
« on: March 13, 2001, 03:08:00 AM »
I've actually been surprised.  I have seen a few bases under ground attack by colums of vehicles, but nobody other than me has flown our new anti-tank plane to stop them.

The Yak-9T, armed with the 37mm AT cannon.  I've killed tanks in ONE hit with the 37mm gun.

As a fighter the Yak-9T is worse, as it has the normal VK105 engine and some wood construction.

Or didn't anybody notice that the Yak-9U we've had for awhile now was the hotrod of the Yak-9s?  The powerful VK107 engine and all metal construction.

Has anybody else noticed that nobody strafes with the Yak-9T?

Hans.

Offline GADGET

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/ala-10/
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2001, 04:35:00 AM »
My anti tank tool used to be F4U-1C by means of a ver very low pass and straffing the rear of the vehicles. If not killed at the first pass, I usually got them inmovilized and/or with fire capability dissabled.

My very first day in the new arena, I decided to get the tank-killer Yak, but the results were so unimpressive that I have not taking it since...

Plz tell me your secret then... who you kill tanks dead with the new Yak?

GADGET

101 Escuadrón de Combate Virtual

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2001, 05:13:00 AM »
I've killed a couple of osties with it, don't remember if I killed a tank. It is really very easy, I made my kills in one pass. Just shot at the target and hit it.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2001, 06:11:00 AM »
jup, the 9T is hell on AFVs.  Racked up 2 ostwinds and an M-16 (though a -1C had to finish the M-16 after I put 4 37mm shells into it???).  Went on to get a literal 1ping kill on a -1C.  Single 37mm round to his starboard wing root  .  Then picked up a couple of assists using the MGs while sitting on my 7 37mm rounds waiting on the perfect shot opportunity.

Saw a yak coming at me with a couple other bandits behind him.  Put the nose down and headed for the fleet and some friendlies.  Crossed the coastal 'shelf' and nosed down for 0g accel and this other yak kept closing fast.. musta been a 9U.  Displacement rolled around him and threw him out in front, then he tried a suicide dive on the fleet and one of the fleet gunners got him  

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2001, 06:16:00 AM »
I tried it.  It turned out to be Hitech himself driving the tank.

I made 3 strafing runs firing the cannon only and I saw many hits. I ended up emptying the entire magazine with no effect.

As I was egressing on the last run, he took off my wing with the cupola gun.

So either something in the internet was VERY screwy (didn't see any lag tho), Hitech was "testing" the new King Tiger perk tank   , or the 37mm didn't work as advertised against tanks.

*shrugs*

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2001, 06:24:00 AM »
I use it in the anti-tank role and it rocks.

Opens up Panzers like a can-opener.  I've had more than a few multiple panzer kill sorties in it.

Oh....and its great medium bomber killer also.

Cobra

[This message has been edited by Cobra (edited 03-13-2001).]

PakRat

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2001, 07:21:00 AM »
Hehe - it'll sure waste an M3  

---
PakRat
http://www.jump.net/~cs3" TARGET=_blank>63rd FS, 56th FG
"Zemke's Wolfpack"

"I see dead people"

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2001, 07:30:00 AM »

Originally posted by GADGET:
My anti tank tool used to be F4U-1C by means of a ver very low pass and straffing the rear of the vehicles. If not killed at the first pass, I usually got them inmovilized and/or with fire capability dissabled.

My very first day in the new arena, I decided to get the tank-killer Yak, but the results were so unimpressive that I have not taking it since...

Plz tell me your secret then... who you kill tanks dead with the new Yak?

GADGET

101 Escuadrón de Combate Virtual

..and thats why hispano AT capability should be reduced.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2001, 07:32:00 AM »
I accidentally grabbed a 9T instead of my trusty 9U and didn't realize it until I started firing at a Dora.  The gun noise suprised the $#!+ ot of me and the rounds were falling low.  I raised the nose and watched the 190 disintigrate with 1 ping.

...then I tried to egress as an F4u decided to pull in behind me.  I had my usuall sly grin that is normal whenever an F4u tries to follow my yak.. that's when I realized it didn't have quite the kick that my 9U has.  I did manage to evade the F4u, but another Dora came in to get me before I could finish him off.  Was my last Yak-9T sortie.

AKDejaVu

[This message has been edited by AKDejaVu (edited 03-13-2001).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2001, 08:17:00 AM »
 I love the Yak-9T with the "Demolisher"    

Two rounds will take out most GV's including PT boats and Panzers take a bit more. And Spitfires take one round to remove the tail.    I wish I could remove the MG's for the weight savings. I just don't use em.

Easist way I've found to kill any GV or PTboat is to come down verticly on them. Don't forget to chop the throttle all the way to zero! Then literally "drop" fire a 37mm round or two onto them and then pull up quick, full throttle and wep it away in case you missed and the got a bead on you with thier aa gun.

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 03-13-2001).]

Offline RAS

• Copper Member
      • http://flyingaces.bizland.com/54sq/main.htm
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2001, 08:55:00 AM »
I had similar success with the 9T against GV's, Hans.  Would like to see an "attack" option selection for it since will probably only use it in that role.

Currently, the kills against GV's doesn't show up in the kill column over on the stats page.  Aircraft has to be setup as "attack" plane for that to occur.  Until that happens, we will have to settle for the satisfaction that we have a good Russian plane for killing armour and leave it at that.

RAS  

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2001, 09:01:00 AM »
Now let's have the Yak-9K  
(replace 37mm NS with 45mm Bo or KS, not sure which)

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2001, 09:13:00 AM »
"Until that happens, we will have to settle for the satisfaction that we have a good Russian plane for killing armour and leave it at that."

That works for me. I could care less about points as I just enjoy the kill. It would be nice of they added the attack points to the flight profile for folks who want them.

-Westy

Offline Spooky67

• Zinc Member
      • http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alain.mattia/
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2001, 09:27:00 AM »

Originally posted by RAS:
Would like to see an "attack" option selection for it since will probably only use it in that role.

Correct . the yak9t is listed as a fighter only...looks like an attacker to me .
what was its  actual role in WW2 ? Leonid ??  

------------------
-------------------------
Spooky67
56th (Fighter) FIREBIRDS RAF
---------------------
"Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof"
(I am overmodelled ! )

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2001, 09:56:00 AM »

Originally posted by Hans:

Yep   And I like it!