Author Topic: The Yak9T...kills tanks dead...oasties too.  (Read 857 times)

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
The Yak9T...kills tanks dead...oasties too.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2001, 12:53:00 PM »
I love it, it's a blast.  On the other hand, if I'm defending a base under heavy attack, I prefer a fighter with eggs so I can drop on vehicles then engage.

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2001, 06:38:00 PM »
It's actual role was as a Fighter. The Yak-9T was the stopgap between the Yak-9D and 9U. By putting a higher caliber guns you could effectivly increase the lethality of the fighter to offset it's decreasing performance against better enemy planes. All Yak-9T loaded pure HE rounds until the 9U replaced it on the front line, then it loaded mixed AP belts so it could attack ground targets too. The gun on the 9T BTW was the only VVS aircraft mounted cannon that has confirmed Tiger kills    YMMV....

funked

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2001, 06:46:00 PM »
Well I tried it once on an Ostwind... Hits to the side of his turret... No damage... My plane explodes...

But I am glad to hear that it works on Panzers!  I will definitely use it for that purpose.

PS It is a NICE dogfighter also.  I gave a couple of Spits a 37 mm headache on Sunday.  

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2001, 07:10:00 PM »

Originally posted by funked:
Well I tried it once on an Ostwind... Hits to the side of his turret... No damage... My plane explodes...

But I am glad to hear that it works on Panzers!  I will definitely use it for that purpose.

I don't get it...took one up first day of 1.06 and put no less than 12 37mm rounds into a tank with no visible damage...that was with  good connect too. I hate them damn 37mm rubber bullets!

------------------
Lars
***MOL***
Men Of Leisure

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2001, 08:08:00 PM »
Not sure why it is so effective. Ive taken lota hits in me tank from Osties and a most lost a track and then kilt the Ostie.

Anyone know the major difference between the 2 37mm??? Why would a Yak be able to kill a tank 1 pass and 2 Osties cant. Yup, takin hits from 2 Osties but i kilt em both quickly.

Dog out........

Offline Qnm

• Copper Member
      • http://no-such.net/WORK
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2001, 08:21:00 PM »
re: Wardog

Maybe the extra straffing speed helps?

funked

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2001, 08:38:00 PM »
Well it doesn't work.  I scored five hits on a panzer tonight with my 37mm gun, at about 250 yards, and he was still driving and shooting.  His MG 34 (LOL) then knocked off my vertical stabilizer.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 03-13-2001).]

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2001, 10:43:00 PM »
Wardog,
top armour on most AFVs is mighty thin, usually 10mm.

------------------
leonid, Kompol
5 GIAP VVS-KA, Knights

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."
ingame: Raz

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2001, 10:50:00 PM »
Funked,
I attack them from a very steep angle.  Usually 1 pass is all it takes.

I also found that if you dive almost straight down on an Osty, 1 pass will kill it using hispanos.

Cobra

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2001, 11:05:00 PM »
Funny...I've been killing Ostwind/Panzers with INDIRECT hits believe it or not. I've landed some close hits in the dirt that were close enough to knock out the turrent/treads where the tank driver ditched so I got the kill.

Got alot of 1 ping kills too...provide you hit the front, rear or top armor. Hitting the turrent and side hull does nil.

Anyone notice the 37mm has a range of like 2k? I didn't even notice how far it shot till I was offline messing with it.

In response as to why the VVS 37mm kills armor so much easier then the Flak VR on the Ostwind...

The damage model on armor is way over simplified. Even with either of the massive 37mm's fitted to air planes, the roofing/engine grill had to be attacked for a sure knock out in real life. Attacking the 80mm thick frontal, 30mm side and read armor on the Pz IV was futile with any small caliber (Hispano included) because they are not really capable of penetrating that much armor. And neither were the 37mm's from any kind of range. The Ostwind must always hit the thickest armor of the tank (because in order to arc for the roof the round loses alot of it's kinetic energy at the ranges needed to do so) and is not very effective. The planes however can attack the roof armor from a high angle where enough kinetic energy is retained to punch through (In real life). As a gameplay concession, armor penetration is augmented on aircraft guns, to a point, to compensate for the complex strike angles and other terminal ballastic calculations regarding a several hundred mile an hour air plane attacking an armored surface. In other words, you don't actually have to aim for the roof armor/engine decking to kill the tank, because in essence it's not really like armor, but more like a very tough object. I've bore witness to what enough .50 can do to a tank, although a overloaded P-47 with 90% hits barely has enough to blow a track of a Panzer. But it can, with enough hits.

- Bess

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2001, 10:45:00 AM »
I absolutely love the Yak-9T!    I've currently got 41:6 k/d and it opens up anything I've hit so far.  Some Pnzrs/Osties only take 2 or 3 hits, but others can take 10-20 hits.  M3s or M16s usually take 1 or 2.  Very good against fighters too!  My favourite was diving down on a Typhoon that was running at 450mph.... I took it's wing straight off!  

Regards

'Nexx'
NEXX

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2001, 10:52:00 AM »
Has anyone come up with a ranging sight for the T bird?

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2001, 10:56:00 AM »
Is the T as good in the vertical as the U? I haven't flown the T model (Rip always puts me in chevy flight  )much yet.

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2001, 10:57:00 AM »

Kills tanks.....dead....forever.... now with a fresh pine scent

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2001, 10:58:00 AM »
 I use the standard issue HTC gun sight pending a historical sight.
 But what I do now is shoot above thier cockpit when I see they are going to make a second HO run at me  

-Westy