Author Topic: Stuttering uncontrollably with Geforce 2 mx 400  (Read 617 times)

Offline RoyofCA

• Zinc Member
Stuttering uncontrollably with Geforce 2 mx 400
« on: May 12, 2002, 12:06:17 AM »
*EDIT* This problem is solved, please see my last post on this thread for details *EDIT*

I have the geforce 2 mx 400 on a intel celeron (don't laugh, it's paid for) at 533 with approx 200 mb ram running windows 98 Second Edition.

After a few minutes of play, the game stutters horrid, as if I was getting .3 frames a second (yes .3) yet my indicator says 43 fps. All controls lock, stick locks, voice still works but only receiving, and it's just as choppy.

Already ruled out sound card, so it can not be that. Direct x is up to date and running check says DX is running great.

I have tried the 12.41, 23.11, and 28.32 drivers. I would try the 12.11(version # correct?) but I can't remember wtf I did with it and I can't find site with old drivers.

This has probably been covered, and a simple link would work for me, if anyone would be so kind. Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2002, 02:22:27 PM by RoyofCA »

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2002, 08:41:14 AM »
is your harddrive paging when this happens?

anything at all running in the background?

SKurj

Offline maddog1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2002, 12:32:57 PM »
If you calm down and think about what you want to say first you may not sttuudder..... now if your computer on the other hand.....

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2002, 12:40:26 PM »
Is your geforce overclocked? If it is, set it to normal - could be overheating.

Other reasons I could think of is sound and sound drivers.

But mostly I'd expect the reason to be your celeron cpu. I had almost a similar setup some time ago and whenever I played castle wolfenstein2 and something exploded, the system started stuttering like you described.. But with replacing the cpu to a faster model it stoped stuttering.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2002, 02:46:41 PM »
Do you have anything else running at the same time as AH? I have a problem with Zone Alarm (Firewall), The display shows 50- 60  FPS but what I actually see is like a slideshow. (So I kill ZA befoere starting AH). Try killing everything apart from "systray" & "explorer" before you log on. (Just a thought). If this solves the problem re introduce things one by one until the problem returns.

TTFN
snafu

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Re: Stuttering uncontrollably with Geforce 2 mx 400
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2002, 05:04:29 PM »
Originally posted by RoyofCA
I have the geforce 2 mx 400 on a intel celeron (don't laugh, it's paid for) at 533 with approx 200 mb ram running windows 98 Second Edition.

After a few minutes of play, the game stutters horrid, as if I was getting .3 frames a second (yes .3) yet my indicator says 43 fps. All controls lock, stick locks, voice still works but only receiving, and it's just as choppy.

Already ruled out sound card, so it can not be that. Direct x is up to date and running check says DX is running great.

I have tried the 12.41, 23.11, and 28.32 drivers. I would try the 12.11(version # correct?) but I can't remember wtf I did with it and I can't find site with old drivers.

You have QuickTime installed?  If you do, the problem might be the QTUpdater trying to log on the internet while you are playing AH and hogging up bandwidth.

Ack-Ack

Offline RoyofCA

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2002, 06:27:06 PM »
The problem is fixed. Thank you to everyone that helped.

To fix this, I used 12.11 drivers. I never run anything in the background or overclock my graphics card. My celeron also never gives me trouble (except on occasion during a lunar eclipse). I have seen this happen in another game I played, and I tested it there as well.

12.11 drivers also seem to work for the other game, so I am now almost positive that was the problem.

Anyone know why newer drivers are messing me up?

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2002, 08:47:48 PM »
Originally posted by RoyofCA
The problem is fixed. Thank you to everyone that helped.

To fix this, I used 12.11 drivers. I never run anything in the background or overclock my graphics card. My celeron also never gives me trouble (except on occasion during a lunar eclipse). I have seen this happen in another game I played, and I tested it there as well.

12.11 drivers also seem to work for the other game, so I am now almost positive that was the problem.

Anyone know why newer drivers are messing me up?

I'm using the 29.20 Det XP drivers with a GeForce 2 MX 400 on a 950 Duron overclocked to 1.2GHz using Win98SE with no problems.  

Are you running your AGP at 2x or 4x?  Detonator XP drivers are defaulted at 4x AGP and if you're running your AGP at 2x, you'll see performance go down the crapper.  Supposedly Detonator XP drivers auto-detect your AGP settings but sometimes it's like a crap shoot.  

If you need a site where you can download all the Nvidia drivers, official and beta releases, go here to Guru3D .  You should also check out the GeForce FAQ , it might help in finding out why you can't use newer drivers.

Ack-Ack
479th FG - Riddle's Raiders

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2002, 10:50:45 PM »
I use 27.10 drivers

One thing to check when u install new drivers, by default they may turn ON 3D antialiasing which will be a huge performance hit for you.

Just another thing to look at

SKurj

Offline RoyofCA

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2002, 04:41:26 PM »
I forgot to mention my card is pci.

Offline RoyofCA

• Zinc Member
its back
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2002, 07:01:27 PM »
its back again. guess the drivers did not fix it.

Tried everything I can think of, please help.

I can not play AH.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2002, 09:53:50 PM »
anything in the systray bottom right? in windows?

winamp, zonealarm?

likely something runnin in background that u aren't aware of

SKurj

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2002, 04:29:06 AM »
RoyofCA how much ram does your box have?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline RoyofCA

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2002, 12:15:52 AM »
nothing in background and control + alt+ del verifies this

I have exactly 191mb ram

Offline Willi Winzig

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2002, 05:52:24 AM »
Kyro II here. Had the same effect in another game. Must be a kind of memory overload.
Had to uncheck "render until flip" in the DirectX video properties . My advice: try to change your settings. However I don't know which settings are appropriate for your card.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2002, 05:54:57 AM by Willi Winzig »