Author Topic: Homebuilt Cockpits?  (Read 452 times)

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Homebuilt Cockpits?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2002, 05:50:28 AM »
Originally posted by Charge
An idea:

Q: Is there a way to take force feedback output from the gameport and drive this amplifier with it to create FF effects via this shaker?

U dig?

:eek:

-Charge+

I use Saitek X36 usb hotas with Logitech Wingman Formula FFB usb pedals (rudder).

Once I test FFB function in Aces high and logitech Wheel reponce :-)) Because wheel and stick was in same table I get somekind force feed back like stall vibrating etc. I dont know why but this ffb works on short period.

After that ffb test  my PC get sooo messup I need reinstall win98se again. Since that no more ffb test with logitech

Offline Sac1

• Zinc Member
Homebuilt Cockpits?
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2002, 02:30:48 PM »
There are many ways to go about what you want to do.  You  can buy numerous fiberglass cockpits already made.
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/hardware/reviews/aimsworth/
This link will take you to a company that was going to make a couple of WWii planes.  

If you build yourself there are also a few way you can go, a replica, or your own design.

A replica would be nice, but I would have to have several of them for all the different planes I would like.  Your own design gives you the chance to go generic and put in anything you want to make it hi-tech but most of all, comfortable for YOU. Remember one thig, everyting is completely different if you add a canopy, the sound the enjoyment, the having to raise the canopy fast to go take a leak...

Good luck
« Last Edit: May 17, 2002, 02:33:25 PM by Sac1 »

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Homebuilt Cockpits?
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2002, 02:51:46 PM »
eeek...

well i did consider nailing a chair to a sheet o plywood, angling a piece o wood to mount my pedals on and making a platform to mount a steering wheel on for when i was into racing more...

Lately the recliner idea keeps comin back... but would fallin asleep at the stick become a prob...

SKurj

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Homebuilt Cockpits?
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2002, 05:59:27 PM »
I just signed up for the con so I was thinking.... Will  HTC allow these at the con if we built one. I have the next week off and was considering putting one togehter if it was allowed.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Homebuilt Cockpits?
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2002, 06:11:43 PM »
SOB has a sweet recliner rig IIRC.

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Homebuilt Cockpits?
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2002, 07:01:36 PM »
Xjazz, Ive got the same set up but I didnt know you could use the pedals for a rudder.  How did you set it up?  Any conflicts?  Do you use the wheel for anything?

Do you have to wear silk underwear when flying? (Those pedals are close together!!

Thanks for the help

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
Homebuilt Cockpits?
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2002, 12:01:57 AM »
It's not real hitech:)but this is what I built. It's also easy to move aside when using the PC for something other than flying (can't imagine what that could be)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2002, 01:21:26 AM by Weave »

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Homebuilt Cockpits?
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2002, 01:23:09 AM »
The comfy chair...complete with 8" sub underneath in sealed box.

SOB

PS to Skurj...falling asleep at the stick is indeed a problem sometimes.  Especially late night flying.  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2002, 01:25:11 AM by SOB »
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Homebuilt Cockpits?
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2002, 02:41:52 AM »
cheap and ingenious chair :

"Simlight"

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Homebuilt Cockpits?
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2002, 05:54:19 AM »
« Last Edit: June 04, 2002, 05:58:09 AM by Revvin »

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Homebuilt Cockpits?
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2002, 08:42:03 AM »
Originally posted by SunKing
I just signed up for the con so I was thinking.... Will  HTC allow these at the con if we built one. I have the next week off and was considering putting one togehter if it was allowed.

Sunking, if you're planning to bring a cockpit to the Con, contact Yankee ASAP and giver her the dimensions.  Once they've got the room layout finalized, she'll let those wanting to bring them know if they can.  I'm bringing my newly built ABC Mk I, Lord willing (and HTC:)).
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Homebuilt Cockpits?
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2002, 08:45:00 AM »
Sabre pls post some pics when its finished, look like the CON this year is going to be invaded by ABC pits :)

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Homebuilt Cockpits?
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2002, 08:48:04 AM »
If a girl ever saw this thread...

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Homebuilt Cockpits?
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2002, 08:58:38 AM »
Am I the only one who flies with the monitor 2" from my nose?

These setups would not do :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Homebuilt Cockpits?
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2002, 08:52:59 AM »
I've been contemplating two design theories:

Design Theory A:  an enclosed cockpit based on the 109 for two chief reasons: 1. all those flat panes would be easy to duplicate with plexiglass from the local hardware store and
2. its small.

Design Theory B: a cockpit along the same design as the typical arcade cockpit.  I remember in the 1980's there was a Star Wars game where you flew your X-wing down through the Death Star canyon.  The videogame palace at the mall where I worked had the sit-down version of the game machine.  It was open on the sides for entry/exit, but had a built-in bench seat with speakers mounted behind the player and a dark-tinted clear plastic canopy overhead.  Sitting in that thing made me forget about the pushy customers back at the store.  

The biggest problem is finding the space inside the house to set it up ;)