Author Topic: WTFG Blues.......  (Read 362 times)

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
WTFG Blues.......
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2002, 03:29:35 PM »
Nifty, yeah I go to Crew games often.  The stadium is really nice and they sell beer.  Whereas for the first two years they played at Ohio State University's stadium and of course NO BEER!

The MLS is minus two teams this year but I think that was a good move.  I hate to keep losing players like Stern John (league leading scorer) and Brad Friedel (leading keeper) to Europe, but hopefully American Soccer will get better.

I was at the Costa Rica qualifier in 2000 too!  That offsides call was crap!  Like other American sporting events, you get people there who don't give a toss about the game, they are just there to be seen or be trendy.  I remember at the start of the Costa Rica match, one of the two women in front of me said, "Oh my God, that guy hit it with his head!". :rolleyes:

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
WTFG Blues.......
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2002, 03:50:17 PM »
Dowding, it's possible.  Spitfires are my favorite planes!  ;)  mmm, Spitfire Mk Ia goodness...

Mickey, sweet!  I flew up to Cleveland and a friend picked me up the day of that game.  We hung out at his house for a bit, then drove down to the stadium.  Disappointed in a 0-0 tie, yet satisfied to see the game, we drove back to his place and crashed.   There didn't seem to be many knowledgeable soccer fans near us, but it wasn't -that- bad as what you heard.  I think we were upper level on the west side of the stadium.  Josh Wolff was the one they called offsides on that one, wasn't it?  can't remember who it was, but remember the call. ( Speaking of bad offside calls...  we got saved by one yesterday!  That Uruguayan was well onside and should have registered his second goal of the match!  :eek: ) Gotta agree with you on the contraction.  The league has a good parity with 10 teams.

I like seeing our MLS guys go on to the bigger leagues and have success.  Friedel brought home silverware, Stern John helped gain promotion for his club (which is what this thread was about before we hijacked it!  woot!!), and Tony Sanneh does well in the Bundesliga.  Won't be long before Mathis is over in Europe too.  Donovan will probably go back to Leverkusen after this season (unless he keeps making bad plays like he did yesterday...)

Anyways, congrats to Birmingham, Man City and West Brom!
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
WTFG Blues.......
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2002, 04:16:45 PM »
My God!

A Yank that understands the offside rule??!  Can it be true? ;)

You'll be telling me you understand rugby next.....

Swoop

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
WTFG Blues.......
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2002, 05:00:24 PM »
My uncle played college football (University of Denver) and was recruited to try rugby. He thought it looked fun (wildman) so he gave it a go. I guess the first scrum he decided to lay a block on an opposing player to help his team. This caused a near riot (I think blocking is bad?) and he was asked to leave the game. Rugby looks like semi controlled mayhem to me. The only sport that looks less controlled is Aussie Football. Both are great fun to watch though.