Author Topic: Differing angle perspectives ~ any way to fix?  (Read 134 times)

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
Differing angle perspectives ~ any way to fix?
« on: May 12, 2002, 05:20:30 PM »
One thing I have noticed from time to time in the air-to-air aspects of this game is that, especially against Spits, I seem to get shot by people who simply DO NOT have an angle on me.

For example, I am in a F4-U heading north at 300mph at 3000 feet altitude. There is a Spit IX behind me going 320mph at 2900 feet altitude.

I kick in my WEP, pull back for a fairly tight loop. When i near the top i engage flaps for a little help making it over. Meanwhile, I am watching the Spitfire with the Back/Above view.

The spit is about 300 yards away, and not even close to lined up for a shot, not to mention the need to push a little past the lineup to lead the rest of my loop.

And yet, I hear the gun and see the tracers, and then Im dead.

Many times actually, this happen in one way or another. I get shot by someone who, from my perspective, clearly does not have an angle to shoot me.

What could be causing that?

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2002, 05:24:59 PM »
internet...

What you see especially in a rear view, does NOT reflect what your opponent sees.  You see he appears in lag pursuit when in fact he is in lead pursuit going for a shot.

If ya don't turn you will never see this phenomenon +)

until we all have 10ms ping to anywhere in the world this problem is going to exist.

learn to counter it...  

from the example u gave... you were dead whether u could see it or not from your evasive maneuver.

SKurj

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2002, 05:33:34 PM »
The Internet is not real time.

Data takes time to go from one place to another, and the size of the data transmitted is limited. It's not a constant data stream either, each packet transmits just enough info so that it's believable.

But to "fix it" would require everyone getting fiber optic connections that hook straight into the internet's backbone.

So simple answer "it's as good as it gets for now"
-SW

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2002, 06:12:12 PM »
Not the same lag here, but I'm learning. :)

300 yards behind on your FE could put him as close as 100 on his FE. Lag :)

If he was coming headon at you, alot more.

If anyone is inside 1000yds closing rapidly on your six, it's time to do somthin ;)

I just haven't got the "when" down over here yet.

I'm starting defensive flick rolls out at 12 to 1400yds  on an attempted HO's and have been successful so far. If I haven't begun defensive manuvers by the time the HO'r is inside 1000yds, I'm catching lead.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2002, 08:46:47 AM »
plus..dont try to outloop a spit 9 at 300mph in a hog.

Shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2002, 09:04:06 AM »
Like Shamus said, all he has to do is cut the loop and your dead.

Bootabing, what are your ping times like?  It sounds like they're pretty high.  One solution you might try is a different ISP or switiching to Cable/DSL.  It doesn't entirely solve these problems, but it helps immensely.

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2002, 10:59:48 AM »
make film.

review it in external mode and from the NME's point of view.

you might be surprised.

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2002, 06:30:43 PM »
Never pull a loop with a con on your six.  Especially in a Hog at 300mph with a tight-turning Spitfire back there.  Next time try a nose-low turn or split-S. Good Luck :)