Author Topic: feature Request for new bombers in 1.10  (Read 570 times)

Offline Sclew

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
feature Request for new bombers in 1.10
« on: May 22, 2002, 01:07:06 AM »
HJust a quick note for Pyro and HT-

Could Killshooter be disabled for bombers in 1.10 when in box mode?

Just make it so that they ignore friendly hits instead. Otherwise sympathetic fire from linked guns could really create a mess when it hits other planes in your box!

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2002, 03:13:22 AM »
Killshooter off? Why?

I think trigger happy gunners will learn fast proper shooting.

Offline Sclew

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 03:22:01 AM »
Because with it on when 4 bombers use linked firing you could shoot both out of the sky. IE let the bombers guns hit each other without killshooter killing them.

A group of 4 bombers in close formation with the gunner and pilot using linked guns is bound to have one of the linked guns cross another bomber by accident. When this happens in the current scheme Killshooter would blow up the firing plane. It has absolutly nothing to do with "gunner skill". How could it when the guns could be firing from up to 12 diverse angles towards a common convergence?

Really, there is no need to have killshooter on to punish bombers for hitting friendlies. Just make it so friendly fire from bombers does no damage.

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2002, 03:40:12 AM »
This is my opinion...

when I read Pyro's announcement, there was reference to gunners not being able to fire through parts of the plane like stablizers and such.  I have some concerns if the AI gunner will fire on a friendly plane in the box formation or not.  However, the current status is that AI acks does not fire through buildings (unlike before), so there might be no cause for concern.

As for Killshooter policy, it has to stay IMHO.  Friendly fire should deminish the power of that team.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2002, 04:19:58 AM »
Originally posted by FDutchmn
This is my opinion...

when I read Pyro's announcement, there was reference to gunners not being able to fire through parts of the plane like stablizers and such.  I have some concerns if the AI gunner will fire on a friendly plane in the box formation or not.  However, the current status is that AI acks does not fire through buildings (unlike before), so there might be no cause for concern.

As for Killshooter policy, it has to stay IMHO.  Friendly fire should deminish the power of that team.

Presently you cannot dammage your own plane by shooting at it....... I think the same will apply when in formation which is really your own plane split into 4.........

The interrupter thing will just generate a firing envelope........ I wonder if the  drone bombers also have an equally modeled interrupter set up when they are following your lead......... this may be quite CPU heavy stuff............

There will be some confusion when multiple boxes fly close together....... with "sliver threads" upto 1000 yards then boxes will merge when the two leads are only a couple of hundred apart

It will then be very easy for the drone guns in one box to shoot down drones from another (or suffer damage if kill shooter is on)................. especially when the different aspect angles of fire are taken into account.  In practice this would cause multi box formations to open up for defensive purposes........

Tilt
Ludere Vincere

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2002, 04:44:31 AM »
Last I checked, Killshooter is already disabled for bombers.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2002, 09:20:00 AM »
fdutchman I am not sure if you fully grok what he is talking about.  If you are in the forward gun of the lead plane, and you are in a trail formation, if you shoot at an enme at 12, your whole box may mindlessly killshooter themselves.  You would be unaware since you obviously cant tell joe, bob, or meck not to fire....  

Another answer for this is defensive spread.  But if the planes move beyond each others super duper laser guided atomic uranium tipped hollow point heat seaking infinite energy .50 cals according to pyro they would 'lose' track and dissappear.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2002, 09:29:11 AM »
>>Really, there is no need to have killshooter on to punish bombers for hitting friendlies. Just make it so friendly fire from bombers does no damage<<

Hehe, I guess I can't blame you for wanting it all :D
I just don't think it would be fair. Hell, picture this: I'm in an FW190 A8 attacking a buff group with a group of other FWs doing the same. We go in on the buff group and start firing, and the buffs start firing back. There are tracers flying everywhere, and I hit one of the other FWs. My hits will affect my a/c, yet the buff guns fire at all of the FWs, and some of them may be in the line of fire of another buff. So then, that other buff won't be affected, but my FW will?:rolleyes:  Thats not very realistic now is it?

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2002, 06:42:24 PM »
Originally posted by ergRTC
fdutchman I am not sure if you fully grok what he is talking about.  If you are in the forward gun of the lead plane, and you are in a trail formation, if you shoot at an enme at 12, your whole box may mindlessly killshooter themselves.  You would be unaware since you obviously cant tell joe, bob, or meck not to fire....  

ergRTC, I do understand what his concerns are.  For one, Tilt already mentioned part of what I said in other words.  Innominate mentioned its gun don't hurt friendlies anyway.  so what is the concern on this thread?

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2002, 06:55:43 PM »
Are you sure?  I have never takn the chance of pluggn a friendly with a fifty on a bomber.  I have no idea how they are programming the new bombers, so it seems ?sclew?s question is asking whether plane 2 in box will inadvertantly be shooting plane 3 in box. Cut outs and no damage to self is all about the bomber you are in.  What about the drones.............  Is it going to cut out when you you are lining up plane 4s guns on plane 2?

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2002, 07:07:28 PM »
Originally posted by ergRTC
Are you sure?  I have never takn the chance of pluggn a friendly with a fifty on a bomber.  I have no idea how they are programming the new bombers, so it seems ?sclew?s question is asking whether plane 2 in box will inadvertantly be shooting plane 3 in box. Cut outs and no damage to self is all about the bomber you are in.  What about the drones.............  Is it going to cut out when you you are lining up plane 4s guns on plane 2?

well, obviously, I cannot answer your questions without speculation, can I?  So, let's just wait and see what happens... in 2 weeks! :D

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2002, 07:47:22 PM »
Get into a bomber, and shoot a teammate with your turrets.
Nothing happens.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2002, 07:50:43 PM by Innominate »

Offline 0TT0

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2002, 07:49:42 PM »
I dont care !  This new bomber stuff sounds pretty cool just as long as your are not able to dogfight the bombers like you currently can in AH.....I dont care how much true ww2 footage of bombers I have yet to see a b17 dogfighting a BF109  in any of them. So I just hope that we will not be seeing 4 b17s destroying everything  in the skies doin split S's and such.

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2002, 09:14:53 PM »
Originally posted by Innominate
Get into a bomber, and shoot a teammate with your turrets.
Nothing happens.

there... ergRTC, is there a problem?

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2002, 09:28:04 PM »
sounds good to me....