Author Topic: How do you land an F4U?  (Read 686 times)

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
How do you land an F4U?
« on: May 24, 2002, 05:02:30 PM »
Hi,

After touchdown, as I am slowing down, as soon as my tailwheel touches the runway, I go into an uncontrollable right ground loop, and usually tear my wing off.

I couldnt find a key to lock my tail wheel. Am I missing something?

How do you stop a F4U?

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2002, 05:34:27 PM »
Brendo, just before the tailwheel touches try "burying" it, pull back on the stick hard.
The hawg is very unstable at this point and the sooner  you can force than wheel on the ground & regain rudder control the better.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2002, 05:59:43 PM »
To Land F4U's, I drop full flaps and float over runway.  When speed hits about 90 and I am 5-10 ft above runway I kill engine to prevent torque from pulling her over.  I use the right and left wheel brake to correct course and lay off the rudder.

F.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2002, 06:13:48 PM »
I land it like any other plane!  with the exception being....

When the nose starts to want to go right on you into the loop i just give it a little throttle, this straightens her out.  You may have to do this once or twice as you are rolling out.

SKurj

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2002, 06:58:13 PM »
I just slow the plane below 100 mph with full flaps out before I touch the runway, turn the engine off and like the guys above say, SLAM the tail down and rudder that mother to prevent the ground loop. Use your wheel brakes too, they help a lot.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2002, 08:36:41 PM »
Ground loop happens when your tail wheel isnt actually on the ground, and you use your rudder.  You need to get the wheel down to stop from spinning out.

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2002, 02:47:40 AM »
Thanks guys. Flying my perked Corsair is terrifying.

I shall try these tips and hopefully not get 'eliminated' :D

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2002, 02:48:29 AM »
I've been flying F4U-1s a lot lately and I've fallen into a few rules for landing/stopping.  My landing speed in all aircraft is about 100 mph with full flaps.  Just before I touch the runway I pull in my flaps to kill that extra lift and help to keep me on the runway.  One thing you can do here is turn off the engine to help get rid of any torque, but I don't typically do this anymore.  I roll down the runway and do not hit the spacebar (brakes) until my tail has dropped and I'm safely rolling on all three wheels.  You do need some rudder input to keep yourself straight though, but take it easy with it.

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2002, 06:20:44 AM »
Stay off the brakes untill you have slowed down considerably after touchdown.

Blue

PS....Retnuh still around?
PPS, the Blues are gonna get bit in game 2....and 3 , just you wait and see ;-)

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2002, 08:51:42 AM »
Full flaps and flare into a 3 point landing, no need to cut the engine or use differential wheel brakes etc just get all wheels down together.

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2002, 09:12:40 AM »
I fly the f4u a lot and I still have the occasional runway flipout on landing . If there is a CV around I'll try to land on it if possible instead of a dirt runway for this very reason . Take it very easy on the brakes, let it coast a bit before applying them . If you try to put the tail wheel on the ground going 100mph with flaps completely out the plane will come off of the ground again and you will bounce HARD . Also i don't use combat trim so I usually try to trim up for landing . That is auto trim level at about 110mph with flaps down all the way, gear down and throttle open a bit for torque .

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2002, 01:17:52 PM »
Land a Hog?  Hell, I never last long enough in a Hog to land one...  :D  

However, when I do get the chance, I just let the arrestor cables grab my hook and stop me.  Honestly, I can't ever recall landing (or launching) a F4U at a ground field.   weird, huh?
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2002, 08:46:46 PM »
Are they available at land bases? :confused:

Offline Zaphod

• Copper Member
Hog Landing
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2002, 12:00:09 AM »
One thing I do to land a Hog (fly em quite a bit, land regularly on airfields vs CV's) is to use the ailerons while on the ground to keep it level.  Don't use rudder at all on landing to level the plane.  Give it just a little bit of aileron (roll) to correct until speed is something under 100 or so then use wheel brakes (c and v) to correct. When using the wheel brakes on the keyboard be sure to pump them vs holding them down for any length of time.  Normally you would pump the left wheel brake about 3-5 times for every 1 pump on the right.  Using this method I typically land at about 130 or less, never touch the rudder and don't have to slam the plane down.  I also only use flaps to slow myself as I'm on approach, retracting flaps completely prior to wheels making contact to avoid the bounce.  This is the only plane that I do this in, all others are pretty easily handled on the ground with rudder.  As with all planes I normally come in flaps up and let it float itself down.  This probably isnt anything like the real deal for a real landing but it works in here just fine.  I do use the rudder on takeoff but that is it.  

Zaphod

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2002, 05:37:13 PM »
i just react to what the plane does...i auger alot on tocudown in this plane.