Author Topic: How do you land an F4U?  (Read 687 times)

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2002, 05:41:34 PM »
Originally posted by Steven
  I roll down the runway and do not hit the spacebar (brakes) until my tail has dropped and I'm safely rolling on all three wheels.  You do need some rudder input to keep yourself straight though, but take it easy with it.

I used to have a terrible time landing F4U's untill figured this out, now no problemo :cool:

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2002, 01:28:59 PM »
I fly the hog 90% of the time, and I land with full flaps, but keep forward pressure on the stick to keep the nose level at wheels down. On touchdown,  I raise flaps, and gradually throttle down but keep an eye on propwash effects...the nose will raise eventually, and bu that time the plane is nearly at a standstill.

I land at any speed at or below 150, btw.

In any event, I prefer landing on carriers! Once you can land a hog, succeccfully, everything else is a piece of cake!

Gainsie

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2002, 02:47:48 PM »
This is so easy yet you all come up with so many ways to make it hard :)
As yet another option :) on final approach flare into a nose high attitude and full flaps, control descent with throttle and speed with angle you should be able to do a controlled stall onto the runway putting all 3 wheels down at once without sufficient airspeed to bounce up and have full control as soon as you touch the tarmac and of course then bury that stick into full up to keep the wheel down.

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2002, 03:32:50 PM »
Yep three point landing is best way to land corsair . My accidents happening while taxing :o

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2002, 04:13:56 PM »
I'll try the 3 point thing y'all suggest. I don't think my way was so hard, I usually need to taxi to the hot pad anyway, and its easier to taxi when I can actually see where I am going :)

As for anything else, I'm always willing to go to the TA and learn from all you hot shot Hog jocks :)

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2002, 06:48:21 PM »
I use a different approach to landing the hog. First I use all of the flaps but I drop them 1 stage at a time. Secondly and most important is that I trim the elevator all the way down. This causes one to have to slightly pull back on the stick to keep her nose up but once your down, your glued to the ramp unless you hard rudder or something. Engine can be running at idle for a power glide in to a three point landing using this method.

Trim to the all way down position for Elevator (max, nose down)
Flaps all way down in increments according to speed.
This combo will force you to pull nose up slightly.

whola, instant three point landing with no tendancy to spin.

Also make sure your rudder and aileron trim is set to neutral (since you are power gliding in).

The only way you will spin is if you slow down below to a very slow speed then shove the throttle to max again.

The reverse can be used for take offs as well except (no need for flaps except 1 notch when roling from CV) you have to trim up as you reach single engine speeds. Also wacking the throttle to full at 0mph before you get some air flowing over the control surfaces will cas a spin.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2002, 06:53:16 PM by senna »

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2002, 06:55:47 PM »
Neat thing about the f4u , it rest on the deck at a near stall angle of attack due to it's tall tail wheel .

Offline superpug1

• Probation
  • Silver Member
How do you land an F4U?
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2002, 11:09:19 AM »
I just go with the loop. I useually come out with no probs.