Author Topic: Poll: How much time do you devote to Aces High?  (Read 403 times)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Poll: How much time do you devote to Aces High?
« on: May 27, 2002, 09:17:48 PM »
I thought my addiction to a PC game was kind of rare until I recently read an article that mentioned; "The average EverQuest subscriber plays about 20 hours a week."  and "... the online game has more than 430,000 registered players worldwide...".
Anyway, I keep thinking back to this and find myself wondering if myself and my fellow virtual world comrades are much different.

I know that there is no less of a scientific way of finding out how the "typical AHer" spends their time than by conducting a poll on the BB, but hey, I live in a twisted little world and thought it might be fun.

Please go to the AH score page and look up your actual hours spent per tour/month in the MA for the past few months (and/or CT) for question #1.  Get an impression of what is average for you, or add it up and work a real average if you like.  Remember, the time shown on your personal score page only reflects your time spent on sorties, time in the tower or as a ship gunner is NOT included.  You could be logged on for 4 hours in one session but only show 3.5 hours of logged sortie time.  If you spend a lot of time waiting for squad members or wing men to arrive, or if you join or plan a lot of missions, or do a lot of ship gunning (a biggie for me) or anything else, your time is much more than what is shown on the score page.  Don't include tower time where you stay logged in while you cook dinner, mow the lawn, or whatever.

I would guess that most players need to multiply their time by at least an additional 10% (1.1).
Some of us may be much higher.  Take your best guess, and multiply your typical time by whatever multiple you think is right for you.  (I'm going to use Time X 1.2)

For all the other questions, just take your best guess.

Feel free to note where your time spent is increasing or decreasing, and feel free to make any kind of comment.

Thanks,
eskimo

Please copy and respond to the following:

Typical hours spent per month:

1.  In the Main Arena (and/or CT) including tower time:  
2.  Combined in the: TA, SEA, Dueling, Offline, etc:  
3.  Reading/posting on the AH BB:  
4.  Making AH: maps, charts, squad web sites, CMing, etc (all else AH related):  
5.  Daydreaming about AH sorties (when you should be working), or retelling AH stories to your wife or dog, etc:
6.  Total time devoted to AH in a typical month:
7.  Total time devoted to other PC games, online or off:

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2002, 09:20:56 PM »

1.  In the Main Arena (and/or CT) including tower time: 65 hours
(was noticeably higher before my second daughter was born and while I wasn't working, spending more and more of my online time in the CT)
2.  Combined in the: TA, SEA, Dueling, Offline, etc: 5 hours
3.  Reading/posting on the AH BB: 20 hours (probably an under-estimate...?)
4.  Making AH: maps, charts, squad web sites/E-mail, CMing, etc (all else AH related): 2 hours
5.  Daydreaming about AH sorties (when you should be working  :)  ), or retelling AH stories to your wife or dog, etc: 10 hours
6.  Total time devoted to AH in a typical month: 102 hours
7.  Total time devoted to other PC games, online or off: 4 to 20 hours, (Myst/Riven type games with my wife and/or Barney type games with my daughter.)

eskimo

Offline cajun

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2002, 10:31:26 PM »
#1: I don't play on MA, but for the H2H id say about 20maybe 25 hours depending, with school being out it'll prolly increase a lil bit :D

#2: N/A

#3: 10-20 who knows, depends if I'm bored lol.

#4: I just started making maps, so about 8-15 hours... some times more or less.

#5: 10 or so hours

#6: not sure on that can't look it up so I'll just leave it blank for now lol.

#7: usuelly between 5&10.

#8 (Time spent dreaming of biplanes in AH): 20-75 :D

Note: These are just gueses because I don't have an account I cant look most of them up.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2002, 10:33:35 PM by cajun »

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2002, 11:08:57 PM »
1. In the Main Arena including tower time:

Averaged since tour 12, 50 hours without tower time. Call it 55?

2. Combined in the: TA, SEA, Dueling, Offline, etc:

I have 9 hours in CT avg, TA is very hard to guess for me. Can vary from as little as 10 hours a month to over 60. I'd say with SEA (TOD) I'd be conservative saying 30 combined.

3. Reading/posting on the AH BB:
Half hour every day, rain or shine between AH releated email & boards.

4. Making AH: maps, charts, squad web sites, CMing, etc (all else AH related):

Retired  from CM but easily figure 10 hours min when I was active.

5. Daydreaming about AH sorties (when you should be working), or retelling AH stories to your wife or dog, etc:

Nope

6. Total time devoted to AH in a typical month:

Looks like it would be approaching 100 hours per month on average. Bit more in winter, less in summer.

7. Total time devoted to other PC games, online or off:

Depends, if very active in AH, almost nil. If going though an AH slump, then 20 hours a month.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2002, 11:22:23 PM »
I spend more hours playing online games in general than the average person spends working.

yes, I have no life.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2002, 11:28:25 PM »
I play ah more than  work/school
(think thats obvious)

SKurj

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2002, 11:47:19 PM »
Good question eskimo.

Some months "0" MA time. Others as much as "2" hours.

CT some tours anywhere from "5" to "25" hours. Ya I favor the CT. :D

Over all average maybe 10 to 25 hours a month, just depends on how busy I am.  

I do know I spend three or four times as much doing "CM duties" and reading the BB than I do flying.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Ogun

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2002, 12:25:34 AM »
1. In the Main Arena (and/or CT) including tower time:

I've logged over 153 hours this tour alone

2. Combined in the: TA, SEA, Dueling, Offline, etc:

1-2hrs typically

3. Reading/posting on the AH BB:

5hrs

4. Making AH: maps, charts, squad web sites, CMing, etc (all else AH related):

4hrs (squad site)

5. Daydreaming about AH sorties (when you should be working), or retelling AH stories to your wife or dog, etc:

Hmm.  Anybody got a calculator :D

6. Total time devoted to AH in a typical month:

Add lines 1-5 with variables :D

7. Total time devoted to other PC games, online or off:

Blew my back out at work, healing, treatment after a surgery and a year of wondering why I got surgery....anyway, gives a guy lots of time, and most of my buff hours are spent afk doing home stuff while climbing

This is a game I could drop at the, umm, drop of a hat, but my squadies...man I'd miss them.

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2002, 01:54:48 AM »
what happened to the actual poll questions where you could just click the dot java style and be done with it?

im not going to take the time to fill out all of your ? .

see i dont even have the time to write out the word "question"

im too busy playing aces high.

im being serios.. what happened to the actual polls?

Offline Durr

• Copper Member
      • http://us.geocities.com/ghostrider305
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2002, 02:00:30 AM »
1.  Average is about 25 hrs/month in MA + about 10 more in the CT.

2.  About 4 hrs/month in TA/SEA/offline/DA (mostly special events so the average here goes up when I am flyin in TODs or if there is a major event.

3.  At least an hour every 2-4 days or so, reading and posting here, so maybe 9-10 hours total average.

4. Working on squad website and working on charts for navigation in the CT (since I usually dont use the clipboard in flight in the CT)  perhaps 1 or 2 hours a month.

5. Not very much here, I dont have anybody that is interested in hearing my AH stories, and I dont usually think much about it when Im not playing or reading the boards here, so 0 hours here.

6.  That all makes total AH time about 51 hours/month at the max.
Normal would probably be around 40 hours/ month though since many months I do less in some areas than others, such as in the past month I have no time in special events and havent updated the squad webpage in awhile either. I often go for days without checking the boards here as well.  So the range is 40-51 hours/month.

7.  AH gets the lions share of my computer time.  I play other flight sims perhaps 5 hours a month, other offline computer games perhaps 5 hours a month, and other online games perhaps 10-20 hours a month. So 30 hours max although if I get the max here, AH time would probably only be down around 20 hours as well.  I only have about 50 hours/ month total to spend sitting behind the computer due to job/ hobbies and interests other than computer.  

Interesting question, I never really thought about the fact that I spend as much as 3 days and nights a month on my computer.  I have gone as long as a month before (fairly recently too) without playing any computer games at all, so Im not too worried about it.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2002, 11:49:08 AM »
Add film viewing/editing to Q#4.

eskimo

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Poll: How much time do you devote to Aces High?
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2002, 11:58:29 AM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
How much time do you devote to Aces High?

According to my wife, too much. :D

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Re: Re: Poll: How much time do you devote to Aces High?
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2002, 12:01:07 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing

According to my wife, too much. :D

My regards,

Widewing

Ditto.

[PS  Widewing...nice try on killing my chute last night;) ]
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2002, 12:03:21 PM »
I don't have time to calculate the averages due to too much time spent thinking about last night's sorties!   :D

no, I mean thinking about July's TOD!  yeah, that's it, I'm CMing right now...  suuuuuure, you'll all buy that one!  ;)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Poll: How much time do you devote to Aces High?
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2002, 12:18:51 PM »
Originally posted by Curval

Ditto.

[PS  Widewing...nice try on killing my chute last night;) ]

I did buzz a chute last night, but didn't fire. I usually don't waste ammo on chutes, unless it's causing the AI acks to concentrate on him, while ignoring enemy aircraft. In those cases, I kill the chute pronto for the above reason. I always encourage my squadies to bail if hit over an enemy field (or fleet). This is because they draw most, if not all of the AI ack fire, making it less risky for others to de-ack or attack the field. I'll bet a few didn't realize that happens. So, remember to bail out over the field if hit, it will help your countymates to some degree, even if it does reduce any perks that you've accumulated during the sortie (assuming the acks get you).

Are you sure it was me? I spent most of the evening in a Yak at 39 and 45) or C-Hog (Jabo at 31).

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.