Author Topic: Absolutely wrong  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Ogun

• Copper Member
Absolutely wrong
« on: June 02, 2002, 02:51:30 PM »
10min field up window was bogus.  We lost half of our squad because we had to go last after all the other squadrons...they get 10 minutes to crash and reup and our last flight got 45seconds.  No good.  We practiced and were ready for this, minus perfection with 4 guys taking off at once (f4u-1d w/100% and 2k and rockets off cv) so I'm sure staring at somebody else's dashboard aftter the "45 second rush" is on doesn't make that easy.

I've got a lot more issues with timing/placement because of the swift advance of axis on these rolling bricks we had.   I did the right thing and dove low to get a few Ki67's chasing me, and yes, I outmaneuvered them for several minutes (I personally would be embarassed if I were one of them that it took that long to bring a heavy hog down at low alt) while my last living squadies attacked their targets safely, but wtf!  Take one for the team vs. you are doomed from the beginning.  Hmmm.  There needs to be more thought before organizing start points, numbers taking off from cv vs. field open window, etc.  This was fluffied up from the get go.  

I like ah and most players; just very angry about the organization of Phillipines Frame 2.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Absolutely wrong
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2002, 03:10:12 PM »
Agree Ogun.. THIS SUCKED BIGTIME :mad:

lets hope for a better frame 3

Everything else is fine with Philipines Tod

to the managers of TOD

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Absolutely wrong
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2002, 04:25:05 PM »
That was you?
Oh man, if we had known you guys thought we were fighters, we would have been a lot more aggressive. (BTW, we waited out our ten minutes on the RW too).  

Dinger
Flight Lead, Ki-67 squadron.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Absolutely wrong
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2002, 04:32:10 PM »
Ok Dinger.. but 10 mins is fine when rolling from rw.. when rollling VERY heavy from a CV.. that is something else :)

Offline Grayarea

• Silver Member
Absolutely wrong
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2002, 04:38:39 PM »
Ogun and Nilsen2,

I am sorry that you had problems in this frame. As the designer I am responsable for all things.

This TOD featuered a new concept first tried in the Norway TOD, that is moving fronts.

As the Allies lost A4 last frame they were restricted to CVs.

Initialy I was going to give the Allies 2 CVs, but this causes problems. Which CV is capped? I decided that 2 CVs in the target area for the Axis would put too much strain on the Allied CAP.

So we went with 1 CV group. That was my call.

So as you can see we are learning as we go :) In future I will either use 2 CVs and move one once everyone is up, or else give the CV bound side a larger window.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy this frame, but I hope Frame 3 will be better for this experiance.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Absolutely wrong
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2002, 04:46:24 PM »
Sounds fine Grayarea

As I said previosly.. Everything in this TOD is great, so thanks for a  fine job..

The ONLY problem was the 10min timeframe for rolling from CV. This did not affect me, but some other Vikings had trouble as they were the last to go.

If this is sorted in some way there will be no porblems..

Another thing I'm wondering about:

If my comp freezes or I get discod, will I have a chanse to get back?.. Freezes is a big issue with me, so I would like to know before next TOD

Offline AndyH

• Copper Member
      • http://www.ahope.myby.co.uk/wod/
Absolutely wrong
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2002, 04:53:22 PM »
As Allied CO for frame 2 I must accept some responsibility for this, I should have made it clearer in the orders that we only had 10 minutes to get off the carrier.

It was always going to be difficult to get 40 planes off 2 carriers in 10 minutes, no matter how we did it.

Please accept my appologies for making a pigs ear of it.

We lost a lot of our planes early on, because of the 10 minute takeoff and me not expecting a defensive force to be at P36 so early. They must have all launched from A7, which I did not expect.

The enemy also knew exactly where we were, as the Dar was on when we took off giving away our position. However we did a lot of damage to the enemy bases, but not quite enough to capture them I think. I really wanted to get A7, to allow us to get our P38s and P47s back for the next frame.

I believe there was a very bloody battle at A7 in the first phase, I missed it as I was flying with the WOD at P36 but it sounded like a hell of a battle,

In the second phase I saw the few remaining allies fight against an enemy force far greater their number, they fought very hard and prevented our fleet from being sunk.

Bozon managed to hit A7 again, and caused a lot of damage.

Thanks all for taking part.

AndyH

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Absolutely wrong
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2002, 04:56:10 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen2
The ONLY problem was the 10min timeframe for rolling from CV. This did not affect me, but some other Vikings had trouble as they were the last to go.[
Firstly, my sincere apologies for the 10-minute take-off window.... I really hadn't realised the extent of the problem or the reasons behind it.  I have mentioned this in the CM's Forum to see if I could have been more flexible...
If my comp freezes or I get discod, will I have a chanse to get back?.. Freezes is a big issue with me, so I would like to know before next TOD
If you have a problem with your PC or connection in the first 30 minutes, you can ask to re-up - preferably by private message to the CM, who will then open the fields for you.  After 30 minutes, though, I am afraid you would be done for the day.

Anyway, my sincere apologies for your disappointment with this frame....
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Absolutely wrong
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2002, 05:00:53 PM »
Originally posted by AndyH
The enemy also knew exactly where we were, as the Dar was on when we took off giving away our position.
Sorry, AndyH, I really don't know how the Radar came to be ON!  When I checked it in the settings, it looked OK - however, it seems that it didn't turn off until I went to "Change" it and then "OK"d without changing it!  I will be sure to do this in future if that is what it takes!
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Absolutely wrong
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2002, 05:01:25 PM »
Ki-67s are bombers dude.

Looked like a great job by CMs from my end.

Offline AndyH

• Copper Member
Absolutely wrong
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2002, 05:13:50 PM »
Originally posted by Flossy
Sorry, AndyH, I really don't know how the Radar came to be ON!  When I checked it in the settings, it looked OK - however, it seems that it didn't turn off until I went to "Change" it and then "OK"d without changing it!  I will be sure to do this in future if that is what it takes!

No problem floss, im just clutching at straws trying to make an excuse for losing so many planes early on :-)

AndyH

Offline Rompa

• Nickel Member
Absolutely wrong
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2002, 05:14:33 PM »
Ogun is meaning that there were KI-61īs diving in on us
not KI-67īs ;)

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Absolutely wrong
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2002, 05:15:30 PM »
No problem floss, im just clutching at straws trying to make an excuse for losing so many planes early on :-)
LOL, well I know Zeb was miffed about it too!  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Vladd

• Copper Member
Absolutely wrong
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2002, 05:41:15 PM »
The enemy also knew exactly where we were, as the Dar was on when we took off giving away our position.
AndyH

Hi Andy.

Yeah, we launched most of our fighters from A7. We also launched 2 scouts (Klem and myself) to patrol initially the 10 and 11 sector rows. I had another scout searching to the south. It was only about 6-7 mins or so after takeoff that I spotted a flight of f4Us due east of A7. I saw a larger group of planes ahead in the distance and then the CVs after that, so as it happened the dar issue really didn't make any difference to the frame, the CVs would have been spotted in no time at all at that location.

BTW, did you establish CAP over the carriers and then order them to reinforce A7, or was it an all-out attack from the start?

Vladd

Offline AndyH

• Copper Member
Absolutely wrong
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2002, 06:44:55 PM »
I put the reply to this in the AAR thread.