Author Topic: FW 190D Tips?  (Read 408 times)

Offline Hogboy

• Zinc Member
FW 190D Tips?
« on: June 03, 2002, 11:13:05 AM »
I had a craving for flying something different this tour so I've decided to try the Dora.  So far I've been very impressed with it but I realize there's much to learn in order to realize its potential.

If there's any Dora jockeys out there who would part with some of their knowledge of this plane I would be much obliged.  Thanks!:)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
FW 190D Tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2002, 03:03:05 PM »
Stay high, stay fast, don't miss and burn the Aft tank to 25% first.

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
FW 190D Tips?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2002, 03:49:29 PM »
You might find the the 190-A5 a more interesting ride than the Dora.  The stay fast and empty the aft tank first still applies.  

I find the A5 feels more nimble than the A8 but still maintains that "special feeling" that comes when all four 20mm hit at the same time.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
FW 190D Tips?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2002, 04:29:08 PM »
Dorka 101:

Learn from the Runstangs. They are what you want to be and never will.

"Wurger" is German for "Weenie". Dont believe what the Luftwaffe told you in dor..err.. flight school.

Assists: Its a way of life.

Ack is your best friend.

P-38s are bad for your health.

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
FW 190D Tips?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2002, 05:04:22 PM »
Learn from the Runstangs. They are what you want to be and never will.

LOL!

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
FW 190D Tips?
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2002, 02:47:28 AM »
Umm... "Wuerger" is german for "Strangler".

My guess is that was the 190's nickname due to the good roll-rate, and that lag/lead-rolls are very popular maneuvers for 190 drivers.

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
FW 190D Tips?
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2002, 03:11:09 AM »
It is the best 190 for this MA.

I take it to 15k mostly, it's performance at 20k+ against P51, P38, P47 is not that good. The Ta152 has better performance than Dora at 20k+

Good thing is that Runstangs can't run from you on the deck, which for some reason think they can, hehe, :D. Only thing that will catch up on u otd is the la7 (takes allot of time though).

Adapt your flying to the situation. Switch between agressive attack mode in 1v1 and carefull B&Z in dense enemy surrounding.
Don't turn with all planes (like niki's, spits, hurries) but do 1 or 2 agressive attacks than extend. And use the verticle.

Plane has good roll rate (a8 has even better roll rate), use it!
Plane has good ability to 'saddle up on a con', but be carefull not to get bounced while doing so.

Plane loses speed fast in turns, learn to use it and deal with it in crowded area's.

Yes, the P38 can be a problem if U decide to T&B with it, so don't!
The P38 will win once u have bled your E to much because it can stall fight much better than Dora (flaps deployed earlier and twin engines makes the P38 excellent stall fighter). But high speed E fights against them are always good fun.
If you get a chance to saddle up on it, do it and make sure you pump allot of cannon rounds in it, because that flying Tank takes a punch (aim for a wingtip). If he goes verticle, extend! Oh, and don't HO a P38 in a dora, leave that to the 190A8, :D

Flew the Dora allot, now my favourite ride is the 190A8 (new challenge)

gl.

P.S. if you want some 190 training, gimmy a mail: j_apar@hotmail.com

Apar

9./JG54 'Gruenherz'
« Last Edit: June 04, 2002, 03:27:05 AM by Apar »

Offline TMASTadon

• Zinc Member
Add'l Questions on the D9
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2002, 01:19:56 PM »
I hope I'm not hi-jacking anyones post here but was going to be pull the D9 outta the garage and give it a lil air time this camp too. Was going to post my own thread asking a few questions on the FW's & D9 in particular but saw this one, which did answers some questions I had but I had a few other questions for the Wulf pilots...

1) 13mm MG? Thats an MG right? Not a cannon. Sure gonna miss those lazer Hispano's

2) I flew the Tiffie a lot last camp and really liked its toughness how tough is FW's (D9 specifically) compared to Typhoon.

3) Turning ability of FW's compared to Typh? Not that I actually got into too many close in angles fight in the Tiffie but it does happen :D

4) Acceleration compared to Tiffie? Seems very good when I've tested it offline but its in those online situations when you've let yourself get in a spot you'd rather not be :eek: have only a couple K of alt to work with and really want the plane to scoot and get the heck outta dodge :D

Ok! Thanks a lot guys ;)

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
FW 190D Tips?
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2002, 07:18:30 AM »
D-9 is overall best 190 in the game. It has only few planes to fear when flown towards its strengths.

Spits, Nikis and Zekes are to be BnZed, of course. However, you can employ a highspeed dogfight - a type of fight where knifefight maneuvers are performed at speeds much higher than in typical stallfight. You count on your speed, dive, acceleration and most important - control authority on all three axes. Mind tho that 190A-8 does better in highspeed dogfight (better inst. turn, better roll, better guns).

US planes you can fight on equal or superior terms. Be careful about highspeed dogfight tho - some are just as good as you there (P51, F4U). Avoid stallfight alltogether. You can E fight any US plane with relative ease.

La7 is probably your worst opponent among nonperked planes. You can still outdive it. Watch not to go too low with them around - better have E advantage then. Above 10k you can fight them on equal terms.

SpitXIV - if you fight it the way 190 fights, you should have no problem. You outrun it below 5k, outdive it and have longer WEP. That plane is a danger to 109, to 190 is a mere target.

Tempest - oh oh, that would be your worst enemy. Usually it will press fight on you and you should be as aggressive as possible then. Use roll rate, highspeed maneuvering and take risks. One distinct advantage over Tempest though - at 10k you are way faster. But only at 10k, where Temp has performance hole. Go lower and it catches you, go higher and it catches you. This lil' thingie was used to annoy some Temps ;).

Speed and always speed, even at the exppense of altitude, as in any 190.

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
FW 190D Tips?
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2002, 09:54:12 AM »

Offline TMASTadon

• Zinc Member
FW 190D Tips?
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2002, 11:45:51 AM »
Hey Apar! Great link there man! Thanks ;) I can see I'll be doing a good bit of reading there :D

On those 13mm though, do you happen to know if AH uses the AP or the HE rounds for the 190's?

Thanks again for the link, great stuff :p

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
FW 190D Tips?
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2002, 05:26:22 PM »
It should be HE rounds
« Last Edit: June 07, 2002, 05:40:57 PM by Apar »

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
FW 190D Tips?
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2002, 04:11:22 AM »
3 rules to fly 190 D9

1. NEVER EVER TURN
2. Stay above 5000 fft if possible to be able to run away from some La7 dweeb :-)
3.Stay fast above 250mph all the time better 300

Burn this in ur head and u should survive.
Freeze

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
FW 190D Tips?
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2002, 02:45:46 AM »
3 rules to fly 190 D9

1. BS, you can perform high speed turns and knife edge fights in dora very well.
2. Some alt for controlling the fight is good yes, but the la7 WILL catch you eventually, and you'll have to fight him.
3. Now  that is where the dora shines; high speed maneuverability! Nevertheless you can surprise some cons by going below 250mph in agressive lead turns, just try to keep an escape route open.

It is a game after all, taking no chances IS BORING!!!!
Also you'll hardly get any better at a certain point if you don't take chances.

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
FW 190D Tips?
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2002, 03:16:54 AM »
Forgive freeze for those 3 rules, he took em from me, an average pilot who tried to let his stats shine. :D