Author Topic: HTC a request on next download  (Read 138 times)

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
HTC a request on next download
« on: June 10, 2002, 09:34:26 AM »
Could you please place the Aces High Help 1.0 in a prominent position, preferably right in same box with "All You Need To Get Started" main download?   Also label it so the new people know it is the Instructions.  Better yet include Aces High Help in the primary download?

Somehow every day folks are missing this and end up flying blind in MA asking a million questions - which may or may not get answered with "Hit Alt+F4" or some such.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2002, 10:02:09 AM by Turbot »

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2002, 09:56:33 AM »
I agree making "Help" more prominent.  I'd also suggest changing the title from "Help" (which I usually associate with people having trouble with the software or network) to "Game Instructions" to make it a little more intuitive.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2002, 10:05:44 AM »
There are always going to be those who just won't RTFM :) As for the others perhaps a two step download link for new versions so that upon hitting the download link you get a pop up box asking if you would like to download the help file as well and include a link to it in the pop up box. I would'nt like to see it automatically added to the download, most guys downloading are veteran players and don't need it and with some of those guys on 56k dialup access every byte counts in download size even though the main file is exceptionally small.

Some people also may not like the idea they need 'help' so maybe rename it to 'Game Manual' it might make it more appealing.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2002, 10:17:09 AM »
If they don't know the game commands, they need help- hence "help" would make sense to most.

It ain't tech support, what else could "help" be? Send you a free beer with a hot female super model when you click it?

Only if it did....
EDIT: most people are just too lazy to bother with a manual anyway. Even in box games that come with manuals, people ask you how to do things that are covered in the manual! People are lazy, you could only get them to read the help files if you paid them to.
-SW

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2002, 10:36:43 AM »
HELP is a bad name for game instructions.  'Game instructions' or 'Flight Commands' would be a much more appealing title.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2002, 10:56:27 AM »
"Send you a free beer with a hot female super model when you click it?"

! ! ! !

Great idea ;)

What kind of beer though?

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2002, 11:00:18 AM »
Well, if it's coming with a hot super model- Mickey's grenades.

If it comes with a skanky 10$ ho- Natty Light. :)
-SW

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2002, 11:16:01 AM »
Originally posted by AKSWulfe

EDIT: most people are just too lazy to bother with a manual anyway. Even in box games that come with manuals, people ask you how to do things that are covered in the manual! People are lazy, you could only get them to read the help files if you paid them to.
-SW

This is why, IMO, we shouldn't have auto takeoff...catch them in the beginning with a task that can't easily be done without some practice offline.

Or something like a help channel on the radio that can bee seen at all times in the tower but is selectable inflight.

Not that I don't want to help them but, personaly, my typing it too danged slow to be any use to them and tends to get me killed a lot;)