Author Topic: WrpEdit and Operation Flashpoint (attn: Voss)  (Read 487 times)

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
WrpEdit and Operation Flashpoint (attn: Voss)
« on: June 20, 2002, 02:15:47 AM »
Hey fellas,, heya Voss

I've started a new terrain project with Operation Flaspoint using the new WrpEdit You start with TerragenI remember looking at this program a couple of years ago when we first got the terrain editor for Aces. It's closly allined with your program POV-Ray but at the time I couldn't find a way to make it work with Ace's High so deleted it.

Finally get to use it and I must say this is a very powerful program. You can read the documentation on how to import DEMs into terragen but it sounds pretty confusing. I found a plugin called Firmanentwhat it does is import regular relief bitmaps into your Terragen. Much easier.. I just use Orge's mapmaker to make the relief map. Operation flashpoint worlds are 51x51 miles so I make the scan 3 degrees and saved as a .ter file.

Next step is to import your new xxx.ter into another powerful program called Wilbur  This one adds and lower your elevation. You can make rivers blur or sharpen certain areas etc.. waaaay cool. Now your map gets saved as xxx.text (lon lat text mesh)

Finally we're ready for the program alot of us Flashpoint fans have been waiting for.. WrtEdit.. You import your new xxx.text and there it is ..

Now to add textures, trees, bushes towns, roads. But here is where the documentation stops. No-way I'm going to spent months manualy planting each bush and tree.. The texture list is hard to understand and you have to select each texture manually. Not like the Ace's editor where you add some forest, it auto adds all the transition tiles. I've been reading theirforumsand they say the next update for wrpedit will allow you to simply brush on roads trees etc. Maybe allow you to import a Terragen surface map. (terragen surface map is a huge 2042x bitmap that covers about 30 square miles.. the actual terrain textures of the real area you are working on and also it's possable to download these surface textures for most places in the world.

On Terregen surface maps.., I'd like to use the rendering tool,  POV-Ray.  I've been wanting a project that uses POV-Ray for a long time. You can get your shadows and textures all lined up very nicely.  You mentioned it the other night so I downloaded it again.

My question: Is there a work around for WrpEdit?.. I'd like to be able to use terragen to create elevation based textures/ render 'em better in POV-Ray, then transfer the whole kitten-kabutle into WrpEdit. There's still a problem placeing objects but I think using your program here Voss might speed up the texture placement at least.

You guys into 3d modeling? will check this out
 PhotoModeler Lite  This one you can make models using photos. There's a hugh list of file formats it will export to including Milkshake (sorry no url) which is the program they been using to make models for Flashpoint.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2002, 03:53:30 AM »
Errrm, I know this is not exactly "on the topic", but... as it seems you're quite handy with OPF, I was wondering if you knew where I could find some "decent" missions &/or campaigns. I downloaded a quite few and well... I have to say I've been pretty dissapointed so far.

Am eagerly waiting for the Vienam mod, but my patience has limits :D
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2002, 04:17:38 AM »
Saw,

drop me an email (raf1swoop@yahoo.co.uk) I'll send ya some.  I warn ya though.....I like BIG missions.  My 2kGhz CPU can handle it.....my 900Mhz CPU in the spare PC goes all to pieces.

Got one mission with 20 ruskies holding a ridge and 200 US troops + a couple tanks come charging towards ya.

Most of my missions use entire islands, for replayability.

And 10B mate, if and when you produce new islands lemme know!  I want!  :D

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2002, 04:55:15 AM »
Hey Howdy Saw..

Haven't seen you in the main for awhile :)

I found one of the best places for campaigns/missions/addons is at a chech site There's a Viet Nam campaign there plus all the addons for it. You'll need the jungle Everon that's in the islands section of that site.

But even better check out these guys and their ww2 addons and missions. Oh they rock!

I'm about half way through making a VietNam campaign but don't think the players would like it much. How do you model weeks and weeks of pouring rain?.. endless marches where you dig in only to find out a couple of hours later that you have to grab your kit and move out again. How much fun is it to go on 10 patrols in a row and not find anybody?.. sure, you find a bunker or two but the VC heard you coming and are long gone. Every village you go into the civies tell you "no VC here" BS they all VC... the whole damn village. They just no VC in the daytime.

No.. I've put the Nam campaign aside for now till I can think of other things for your soldier to do. I wrote a script where you spend 30 minutes unloading a truck...

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2002, 06:58:15 AM »
I tend to hang out over at http://www.ofpec.com.  If you're looking for missions, Saintaw, they've got some reviews of some decent ones.
If you check their forums (like here: http://www.ofpeditingcenter.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=board_hints_and_tips;action=display;num=1023935053), you'll find my observed fire simulator (I took some USArmy field manuals, and 1500 lines of code later had something worthwhile).  I've also got in there a mission I based (loosely) on the Combat Mission Grafenwohr tutorial.

You'll also note that they have a WRPEdit forum that's pretty lively at the moment.  I can't pseak much more on that, since I'm more of a scripter than an island-builder.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2002, 12:29:29 PM »
Thx a lot guys, digging the new links right now !

Swoop, I will do, but upgrading my old PIII500 by the end of July...I guess I'll have to wait till then :D

10Bears, been away awhile, but I managed to get free of my chains last week (a little bit), looking forward to see you in the air :)

Dinger, I'll look into it, I haven't found a single player mission where you can use that lazer designator thingie... I'm diggin' , I'm diggin' :D

Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2002, 01:53:35 PM »
Heck, one of the missions in that artillery suite has you using the Laser Designator to guide Copperhead rounds onto an unsuspecting convoy (no mods needed btw).  Of course, your p3-500 might have trouble with the viewdistance (viewdistance controls are in the radio menu).  If you're interested, shoot me an email at Dinger@raf303.org, and I'll send you the missions.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2002, 07:15:01 PM »
10Bears, after reviewing the utilities you mentioned I have come to the conclusion that Pov-Ray will be best suited in creating your textures. The other operations you were looking for are possible, but without a good deal of experience it will be quite a long time before you make much progress.

Pov-Ray has the ability to determine points upon the surface of your dem file, but rather than a dem file you will most likely be working with Pov-Ray's height-field. The hieght-field object is generated from bitmaps, but you could also convert the data to a mesh, or mesh2 object (quite cumbersome).

The placement of trees upon the surface of your height-field is possible, but saving the data in a useful way will be the problem. Pov-Ray can handle it, but it takes experience to understand the methodology. If, you've done even a little programming, you could probably handle it in time.

WrpEdit creates several different file formats, for inclusion in something like a central .pak, .dat, or .dll (forgot the actual extension) and yes Pov-Ray can even do that, but again it takes experience. You would still need WrpEdit to put the elements together.

Since, you don't have a whole lot of time in Pov-Ray, I would recommend using it to create your textures to begin with. You will want to use the entire .dem file (in bitmap format) and create a hieght-field texture-mapped with a complex pattern. You can then limit the rendering window to a given area of the terrain, in order to create each tile.

That would work, but I believe Bryce would be a better choice and I don't see any way to completely eliminate the use of WrpEdit. There are two similar programs out there (also associated with the programs you mentioned) that can convert a .dem fil to a bitmap. Either Dem2BMP, or DemtoBMP will work.

I could tell you precisely how to go about it, but that's half the fun!

Anyway, have fun and if you need any help just ask.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2002, 01:02:24 AM »
Dinger, Swoop, I upgraded my comp... time to send me those mission :D

10Bears, I just started playing the 1969 Vietnam mini campaign posted at Opfcz... Didn't start well, when I saw that I was 1st picked up by a Blackhawk... I WAS expecting a UH1, hehehe...he could at least have used the Chinook :(
I got that UH1 as a separate download, but apparently it hasn't been used in this campaign.

(I do have a problem though with the Editor upgrade I think... it keeps telling me that it cannot load "groups")  :confused:

Damn this thing is a twist to play with, I think I've already got some 150Mb of addons on my hard drive...
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.