Author Topic: B-26 mission report... a leason learned!  (Read 876 times)

Offline Gorf

• Copper Member
B-26 mission report... a leason learned!
« on: January 28, 2000, 11:12:00 PM »
Was flying  a mission to 22 when i crossed the mountains a SPit attack my 26.  He chased me forever diverting me away from 22 But eventually I smoked him and he flew away.  By then I was over a ammo dump and said ..WHAT the hell. Dropped all 8 and left.  THEN came the LAMO F4u1Cs.. first one dogged my thinking he could come up on my belly but..NOT wounded him enough he flew away...THEN WOULDN't YA know here comes another one.  Unfortntly I did not get rid of him... he took me out.  I was going to get mad and starting yelling on public chat that the 2 F4U1c pilost were LAMOs but then I thought..hell they fly what they want and I was dumb enought to keep on going that deep by myself.. I earned it.  

A: I learned a good leason. If ya going to go buffing by yourself in a B26. Stick to targest that are NOT neer the airfields were ya start out at 3.5 to 5k automatically.

B: If they are coming up on your 6 or with in the fireing arc of your guns... start making 1/2 sec burst when the get withing a range of 1.8 to 1.9 to find your mark.  They wont start shooting till the are about 1.3,  or so.  You get a longer range because they are flying into the bullet and theres has to make an effort to catch you. WHY this is important.. because the 20mm.. drop off sooner forcing them to get closer before they can get a reliable hit.  This gives you abour 2 to 5 secs of solid shooting before they make the attempt to shoot you.  

C: For those pilots that like to fly directly under a B26 then pull up shooting.  Flying level like that is the most insane thing to due.  If a B26 gunner can get a waist MG locked on to u and if the are good at deflection shooting, Will rip ya to shreds. It only takes 1 or 2..quick bursts to find the marks..then UNLOAD.  When the pilots notices this and pulls up. JUMP to the rear poisiton and aim slightly above there plane as they rise.. let them fly into the bullet stream.  that is how I got the First SPIT attacker and the First F4U1C attacker. (just because your got 4 20mm, does not mean your invinceable.)

D: FInALL, ..I need another beer!

Night

GORF

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2000, 10:06:00 AM »
I find that the B26 is easy to defend if you know how.  90% of those who attack me use the  "below the belly" approach, and I counter that by making a steep turn, making them approach from either side of my 6, allowing my waist gunners to rip the con up.  If I'm nearing a target and there are cons on my long 6, I make shallow turns so that they can catch me, because you never want to be in the bomb-sight with cons buzzing around you, must get rid of them before you start your run. The most common injury I get in the B26 is losing an enigne.  The con goes down in flames and I just lose an engine, not bad.  The B26 will fufil it's bombing role with 1 engine, given it's already to altitude. (It's just annoying how auto-level will still yet it yaw due to the engine out)  An effective attack on the B26 usually comes from above.  The B26's top turret only rotates to about 45 degrees above level, and will not go straight up like the 17's will.  A con diving verticaly on me gives me no choice but to turn to get him into one of my sights, and alot of the times it's too late.

Just a few thoughts on the 26  

------------------
Mark VanZwoll
33rd Strike Group

Offline Gorf

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2000, 09:00:00 AM »
THANKS..good advice

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2000, 10:14:00 AM »
Against an F4U-1C, no B26 has much of a chance, from any direction... 4x20mm Hispano ends it from faaaar away. I will yo-yo from underneath all night long.  

Offline Gorf

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2000, 11:19:00 AM »
Dolomite,

Forgot that the 1Cs had the Hispanos but, a 20mm still drops before a 50 will.  The F4U1C does make a killer Buff swatter.

DOLOMITE SAIS:
"Against an F4U-1C, no B26 has much of a chance, from any direction"
  hehehe, thats what the 1st F4U1-C thought.

Have a nice day
Alexander

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2000, 11:22:00 AM »
Gorf-

Better check with the technical guys on the shell trajectories... the Hispano shoots farther than the 50's.  

Leonid posted some nice info on the various AH weapons, maybe he can chime in.

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2000, 07:49:00 AM »
Mark-

Looks like we were both right. I saw you last night over F1... you were collecting scalps in the B26. Unfortunately, I did manage to get you from below (I was in a Spit).  

In your defense, you must have gotten 3 fighters for every one that killed you (considerably better than I did last night). S!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2000, 01:25:00 PM »
If I have alt in an F4u-1c, the 26 is going down every time.  Haven't had it happen the other way yet.

Oh.. by the way.. I love it when the buff banks right before I get there.. much more wing to shoot at.  Saw someone do this yesterday... I was having problems getting enough energy to close fast.  The 26 pilot remedied that for me by banking hard.  Only took 20 cannon rounds from my spit to down that one.

AKDejaVu

[This message has been edited by AKDejaVu (edited 02-01-2000).]

Offline Gorf

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2000, 03:48:00 PM »
Dolomite,
Could you please send me the URL for Leonids info on the various oridnance used during WWII  on aircraft.  THANKS.

This is the info that I have from a report that was published by the UCLA from research done with Ruger and Browning and the US Gov.

NAME(Rate of fire)(Muzzle velocity)(weight)
Browning M2 (750rpm)(870m/s)(30kg)
Browning M3 (1200rpm)(870m/s)(30kg)

Hispano MkII(600rpm)(880m/s)(50kg)
Hispano MkV(750rpm)(840m/s)(42kg)

This is all the info I have, but based off of physics even though the MkII has a higher muzzle velocity by 10ms to the the M2. The sure size of the 20mm is affected by gravity and negative resistance would cause the the projectile to drop before the the 50 cal would.  I would like to see the range for each.

As for NO B-26 can stand up against my F4U-1C thing.. well that all depends on the gunners.  For example, I consider my self to be a above average for marksmenship.  Place 6th in the State for my highschool out of 145 shooters.  I have a kill ratio of around 3.5 kills for every B26 death that I have.  My buddy that took 1st played WB when he visited me a few months ago and he got 6 kills fore every death.  My brother on the other hand is about 1 kill for every 5 deaths.  

So Just because you have 4 20s ..don’t get to cocky.. you may be shocked and get blown out of the sky.

Dolomite,, again if you could please send me that URL I would appreciate it very much.

Gorf
:d

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2000, 04:44:00 PM »
Leonid?

The info he posted was here on the board; you should be able to do a search and find the info. Search for all posts with his name attached to them.

Sorry for any tone inferred; I'm not that cocky (really).  

Offline Gorf

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2000, 04:58:00 PM »
Dolomite..
THANKS did not know you could due that!

Gorf