Author Topic: aces high may not last long  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
aces high may not last long
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2002, 08:31:17 PM »
Agreed Frenchy. :D

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2002, 02:43:11 AM »
To me WBs3 sounds as if its in a bad way,yup,I love the graphics etc,and the ability to use your own skins(WHEN they turn this feature back on that is) all these 'free' weekends etc they have hints theyre having a lot of trouble attracting new folk,20-30 guys in a main arena is not my idea of fun,and thats in the evening here in the UK,in the morning in the UK I can find usually about 80-100 guys on AH,added to that the 24.95 a month for unlimited play,thats why I dumped WBs3.Whoever thought that one up needs a good kicking.
Joc

Offline zipity

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2002, 07:17:02 AM »
added to that the 24.95 a month for unlimited play

If that had been the price a few years ago I could have probably retired now from all the additional savings.  How unfondly I remember my multi-hundred dollar monthly bills from WB.

I do agree that WB graphics is something to look at but I wonder how much those extra visuals detract from the overall game play.  I think I would prefer moderate graphics and great game play instead of the reverse.

I do also wish AH had a better off-line AI but I prefer to have them working on the on-line game...keep up the good work HTC.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2002, 07:32:25 AM »
IMO, what WB has over AH is only graphics. It is beautiful, but hey...it took them what, 2 years to develop it.

2 years only to come up with new graphics, a handful of new planes and minor FM tweaks. Some manage build new games in 2 years.

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2002, 08:52:13 AM »
I personally will take AH over any WW2 Flight Sim...

AH has best all around features !
We compromise a bit on graphics for a great FM and playability...
I would compromise on the eye candy as my first choice in order to attain the rest...  Besides, I have full confidence in HiTechs theory of "Lets make it work first, then make it pretty"  Which seems to be just the opposite of any other Sim I have been involved in... AW and WB's and WWIIonline...

Salute HiTech

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2002, 09:07:48 AM »
The one thing I would not like in AH is the player created aircraft skins.  This would only be feisible if it was limited.  IF someone had a squadron, 357th Fighter Group for example, the only skin allowed would be one that are of the 357th Fighter Group.  Same color scheme but different call numbers and a little personal artwork.  I would not want to see pink and orange Me109s flying around, or red F4Us.  I also would not want to see Japanese A/C in British markings and so forth.

Non historical squadrons would have to get a specific scheme and stick with that.  As long as the skins were not abused it might work.
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2002, 09:34:46 AM »
I found wbIII suspiciously similar to wb . I'ts not another game, just another version of the same game . Would be like calling AH 1.15 AHII and charging a seperate subscription rate for it. It's the same old wb with eyecandy upgrade .

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2002, 10:25:34 AM »
Originally posted by Swager
The one thing I would not like in AH is the player created aircraft skins.  
Why not?  This was one of the best parts about AW, when members of my squad came up with a method of customising aircraft skins, and I would love to see it possible here.
I would not want to see pink and orange Me109s flying around, or red F4Us.  I also would not want to see Japanese A/C in British markings and so forth.
If a similar setup to what we had in AW could be implemented, you would only see aircraft as you want to see them.... it was, after all a Scenario Aircraft Converter, so the idea was to have historically accurate skins for each scenario we ran.  Anybody using silly colour schemes would only see them from their own computer, and as the colours don't show until the aircraft are very close, it wouldn't give them any advantage!  For more on SAC and how it was used, see the following websites:
http://www3.mistral.co.uk/mthuff/index.html
http://www.zeb.clara.net/sac.htm   :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2002, 10:32:06 AM »
im a flight model hoar. and after one week of il2 i canceled my ah sub. if it goes multiplayer with strat ah will lose 70% of its base. imagin a flight model where you cant make a 45 deg out of flight path snap shot at 400 mph without having a accelerated stall like ah. its nice  

towd

Offline Stridr417

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2002, 10:32:15 AM »
Hey guys, the AI in particular seems to be a very interesting feature that adds a lot to gameplay.  CM's will be allowed to plot and manage AI missions for any vehicle in the game.

http://agw.warbirdsiii.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7493

Stridr

Offline Esme

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2002, 10:46:26 AM »
Flossy, I think people are concerned about the kind of problem that IL2 (when played online) suffers from. Never mind whether a skin is silly or not, if someone enters the game with a skin that your system hasnt encountered before, your system has to download it.  Thats one of the main causes for people having problems both connecting to IL2 and getting stutters in-game.  If we had that in AH, it wouldnt bear thinking about!

However, the ability for all planes in an arena to have appropriate camouflage schemes would be nice.  NOT individualised skins, mind, same scheme for all planes of the same type, plus their units emblem, of course. An additional feature that would be nice would be plane ID markings. I have heard that in some FPS games one can type words or messages that will appear on a vehicle skin. If something similar was implemented, limited to something like proper LW, RAF, USAF, IJN, RA, etc. IDs, it could provide a way of telling who was whom in formation without icons.

For instance, anyone seeing a Ju88 with the markings U5+EA would know it was me, and any Ju88 with the prefix part reading U5 would clearly be a KG2 plane. If the conversion between the text you type in for your plane ID and what appears on the skin were done in a standardised manner, the FPS hit should be small. And a few possible combinations would need to be barred, to stop silly kids having IDs that were rude words...

Esme

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2002, 10:50:34 AM »
Although I never subscribed to AW (tried it and then went to WB..was'nt my cup of tea) I did like the SAC utility and posted links to it several times down the years when playing Warbirds as an example of how a skin system could be done. iEN seem to have the right idea by requiring the plane skins to be in their own native .vfc format but the PDC seems to lack the organisation to push enough of these through to make it a cool feature. Take a look at the pic below, the original Spitfire MkI looked horrible but this one by a player called Baal looks stunning, panel lines even warning lettering next to panel work etc

That being said I much prefer the progress that HTC has made in gameplay and better features such as the superb AHVoice, strat and bomber updates than a cosmetic feature like skin support.

PS JOC I still have the skins you made for me on my HDD :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2002, 10:53:59 AM by Revvin »

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2002, 10:50:35 AM »
Easy guys

Sutpid is not a plant from the AGW boards nor is he Jay or Wild Bill come to take a look.

He's a new guy thats new to sim's and he was just sharing what he's found. Nothing wrong with that he just doesn't know most of us left there years ago.

Lowe has it right. AH has almost killed off WB.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2002, 10:55:53 AM »
Originally posted by Esme
if someone enters the game with a skin that your system hasnt encountered before, your system has to download it.
SAC didn't work like that!  All the information was kept on your own computer, and only you saw the skins you specified!  Nobody else saw them, and in fact somebody else would probably have them set differently, and only they would see them as they had set them up.  Combined with customisable terrains (we could change the look of a terrain in the same way to look like desert, snow, etc), no two players would see things exactly the same unless they set the same skins/terrains as each other.  Everybody else not using SAC would see the default colours - not a problem at all!  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2002, 11:12:54 AM »
Lowe has it right. AH has almost killed off WB.

Nobody is killing anyone off, each sim is getting new subscribers but it does seem like AH and WW2OL are getting the lions share but I believe there are enough customers to go around to keep them all afloat. The only people that can be accussed of killing of Warbirds were the last bunch of suits who controlled iEN. Wild Bill did his best to kill off WB last time with the whole CD release debacle but it seems this time they have got their sh*t together and the box release this time will include proper offline missions, new planes and better artwork making it something worth buying. Time will tell how it all pans out but you can be sure that HTC will still be there quietly churning out new release after new release without any of the hype and pomp its competitors employ.

IL-2 is a nice sim but the overwhelming majority of servers are dogfight servers and that gets very boring it also fails to cater for those like me who like to fly bombers. I like to fire up Hyperlobby from time to time for a quick blast but that's all it is.