Author Topic: NOT WHINE ...photos to show it  (Read 460 times)

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
NOT WHINE ...photos to show it
« on: November 05, 2001, 08:59:00 PM »
Tonight I and a few others who said same had a very annoying thing happen.

I watched over an over as my bullets passed through the enemy planes.I ended up after 3 flights where i thought i was missing over and over blasting with full 3-5 second blasts whilst being stunned that no pings happened.

I have 5 or 6 photos of my sight RIGHT ON a P51 from 300 to 125 yards.I was firing like a madman because i just couldnt work out why i saw no hits! I MEAN REEEEAAALLY bang on TARGET.AS in couldnt miss but nothing!
Annoyed i stayed on him using my whole clip of ammo firing and firing and got myself killed because of it stuck up in the air at stall speeds.

What id like to know is wtf is going on? my con was a little rough but no different to the last 2 weeks, if anything it was actually smoother tonight.

all others that found this please post here.
like i said this is not a whine, sure it pissed me off but i dont blame the other player i just would like to know what would cause this? then i can just not fly when its happening.

<G>

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2001, 09:08:00 PM »
It seems that of late I've had some zero deflection shots at close range that went everywhere but into the enemy... used to be I would RTB (or die  :)) with a couple hundred rounds missing... Now I drain that sucker regularly.

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2001, 09:19:00 PM »
Did a quick search but I know there is more information out there on this.

Just copied and pasted this.
 http://www.hitechcreations.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000102

It sounds like you have the "rubber bullets" problem that a few others have reported. This isn't the other guy cheating, it's a problem with your FE I believe. Do you have V-synch disabled on your video card by any chance? I'll bet you do. If so, re-enable it. I've heard of others running into this problem, and I can see why since it is your FE that is doing the hit detection.

In regards to other alleged funky behaviour, somebody please film it. Until you do, nobody can really see what's going on. If you film these things and some really funky toejam is evident on the film, then I'm sure HTC will look at it and take the appropriate action.

------------------
Lephturn
The Flying Pigs

Pokie

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2001, 09:21:00 PM »
I've had this since the new server. I'm not sure if it's hit's not registering, or if it's simply a graphics bug, as I had one kill that exploded in front of me tonight, without a single hit sprite the whole fight (he took half my Spit's ammo, I suck).

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2001, 09:48:00 PM »
connection is obviously a possible culprit but i have adsl and although i know my provider is working on gateway upgrades i have never gone below 128k over the last 2 weeks its being upgraded, sometimes i get the normal 500k but mostly its been a bit rough.
Tonight was not the usual rough line on net(by this i mean slightly jagged not spikey and i have had some packet loss here and there.BUT the thing is its been like it for weeks and i have got used to the odd small jump.bullets have been perfectly fine with regards to hits up until tonight.
I obviously immediately checked my con after this incident and to my surprise it was smoother than its been if anything! host que was excellent according to graph variance was still slightly jagged but no sign of spikes.
it just doesnt make any sense.
btw the link you have put up is not appropriate here as i have the ADSL so according to that post i should have a advantage.
(regarding the link)I went from 56k to adsl and it certainly helped but only in so far as I saw things much more smoothly and even with recent trouble it has been normal to play (as in shooting and hitting and flying) but i got regular spikes on some occations and saw small warps but VERY brief. At its worst i asked a guy who shot me down if i warped and he said there was some but it didnt affect the fight.
best way to describe what ive been seeing is when someone is smoking and the line has tiny jumps every 5-10 seconds.This didnt affect the way the game ran but certainly annoyed me as im now used to the smooth running with broadband connect.
This bullet missing or 'rubber effect' was really pronounced tonight, well as in i couldnt hit a plane at 125 yards!
whats the cause? could it be high numbers thing? or was the p51 I shot on a bad con and so avoided hits? I've never had it like this before myself which is why i posted.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: hazed- ]

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2001, 10:49:00 PM »
how do you change the vsync setting?  I have a GF2 MX.

And how do you adjust the n'sync setting?

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2001, 11:15:00 PM »
Hazed when something like this happens try to ask someone you know well that is flying for another country and ask them to help you troubleshoot this one.

If you (nit) ask me (bishque) seriously to help you I would gladly find a spot where no one could bother us and let you gun me down nice and easy any way that suits you.  Just let me know, we seem to fly similar schedules.

This way you would know if its just a freak occurance on some connect level or if the problem is strictly and repeatedly in you FE.

I remember having a scrap with Bane a few months back where he complained that he heard no pings or damage as I shot his wing off.  A few minutes later he did the exact same thing to me but the problem didnt repeat itself on any of our other numerous  victims that we could gather.  I suspect that our two unique connects were fancied in some bad way just for that particular session.  Has not happened since.

Also, Im intersted in your predicament as well even though I havent had this problem that I could detect.

Y

"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2001, 02:12:00 AM »
Would you do that for me Yeager and if so, how many times?

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2001, 03:29:00 AM »
post pictures Hazed

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2001, 06:04:00 AM »
Yes, this happens. It was the reason I left AH for a while. The fact that I was pretty much in isolation told me it was something on my end of things. I still believe that it is for the most part an end-user prob, because you just don't see the BBS bombarded with the complaint. Better believe that if most people saw it you would read more about it here...

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2001, 07:44:00 AM »
Hazed>? V-sync on or off?

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2001, 10:47:00 AM »
I got NVMax, and turned it ON... I shot down the one airplane I shot at after doing so... but it was at about 70 degrees, and he was below my nose when I hit him, so I'll have to do some more testing before I can say if it helped for sure.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2001, 11:08:00 AM »
Probably something on your end, guys.  :(  I haven't noticed anything, and none of the Mongrels have said anything in email or our message board.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline trec1080

• Zinc Member
      • http://none
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2001, 01:07:00 PM »
ive never had this problem..

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2001, 02:12:00 PM »
I've seen rubber bullets... hit a spit 15 times with 20mm, he loses his flaps.  Hit a spit 10-15 times with 20mm, no damage.  etc.  Rubber bullets, as I understand it, is when you see hit sprites but they result in no damage.  As far as I know, that is a connection issue where you send out a packet that says "Hey, I shot the HELL outta that spit", but it gets lost in the mail so the spit flies merrily along.

Never completely MISSED at 125 yards though, that'd be something to see.