Author Topic: What is a "good" FPS?  (Read 438 times)

Blimey

What is a "good" FPS?
« on: September 03, 2000, 04:06:00 AM »
I was asking what the average FPS was in AH, and most said they were getting 15 or so...I would like to compare notes only for the purposes of figuring out what the better hardware is for running this.  I said I was getting around 40-50...and then asked was anyone getting something better than that, again, so I could compare for sake of going with better equipment, if need be.  One person mentioned they got 90fps if they looked straight up, so I looked straight up, and got ~150 fps.  BigNuts didn't believe me, so he asked me to snap a shot, and so I did, and so here it is.  Someone also asked what my refresh rate is...I said 150HZ - they laughed...I apologize, I am in fact only getting 85HZ at 1024x768 -  I was thinking of 800x600 mode, which is 120HZ...NEC MultiSync XP21.  This system is a Celeron 300A OC'd to 450, with 128MB PC100 6NS Micron RAM - CL TNT2U/32MB RAM, and ABIT BH model BX ChipSet MoBrd. Nothing super fancy...Just thought I would compare notes.  Anyway, the URL for the pic of me getting 137 fps looking at clear blue sky is at:  www.taipo.cjb.net  - follow the links.

------------------
LO/FL Blimey
97th WolfPack Squadron - 1st TBG / RAW
C flight - Bomber Div.
"Very funny scotty, now beam down my clothes!"

[grammar error]

[This message has been edited by Blimey (edited 09-03-2000).]

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
What is a "good" FPS?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2000, 04:21:00 AM »
hey i thought u meant forward up view not just blue sky. i get about 50 fps with just blue sky.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
What is a "good" FPS?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2000, 04:28:00 AM »
I get around 25-30 fps in 1200 32bit (or is it 1280?) in front view

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Blimey

What is a "good" FPS?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2000, 05:08:00 AM »
I have tried different resolutions...and it doesn't make the dash any smaller, and in fact, I have lousy vision (stigmatism) and glasses give me a headache when I look at the monitor...sooo, I run 1024x768.  That typically is about all I can stand.  It doesnt "look" better at higher res, and I can't do it for long without a headance.  Just for kicks, though, I went in and set my res to 1280x1024, and was getting about 25 or so straight forward, and about 35 looking straight up...not nearly as good...and no real difference in "look" of the plane, etc...All of this was in 32bit mode...including the previous messages numbers...Anyway, thanks for the feedback...if anyone is getting better numbers than these, please let me know, and what card you have, etc...I am thinking of upgrading at some point in the future, and don't want to get something if it isn't going to give me a real boost in performance...Thanks again.

------------------
LO/FL Blimey
C flight - Bomber Div.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
What is a "good" FPS?
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2000, 08:16:00 AM »
 PII 333 with a TNT2Ultra Vid card (1024X768 and 32bit mode) and I get a good mid 30's to high 40's FPS. I only have problems if I'm in the P-38 and around a base that is damamged. Then I abbreviate my view to help my vid card and cpu process better.
 If your FPS are in the single digits or teens you may have a tough time enjoying the AH eye-candy. 20 fps things get better. if your in the 30's on up your experience will be better all around.

-Westy

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
What is a "good" FPS?
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2000, 08:42:00 AM »
 Does anybody have any kind of info on tweaking Viper 770 tnt ultra 32's?  I have to use the latest drivers to get all my games to work, but they took all the nifty options out of the video properties window.

Any tweaking progs out there or commands I can use inside of say Counter Strike?  

Udie

Rock

What is a "good" FPS?
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2000, 09:46:00 AM »
Udie, look here.   http://www.tweak3d.net/

Look for tweaking TNT/TNT2 and Halflife tweaks.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
What is a "good" FPS?
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2000, 12:06:00 PM »
I think there's a huge difference between 1024 and 12??. Much more detail, text buffer doesn't look ragged, can tell what an enemy is from farther away etc.

Just my opinion.

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"

[This message has been edited by StSanta (edited 09-03-2000).]

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
What is a "good" FPS?
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2000, 01:17:00 PM »
 I always ck mine in the hanger. Pulls it down for some reason. this seems to be the bottem line on my machine. If its good there its good to go. Make sure there is no smoke, or planes in view.

Blimey

What is a "good" FPS?
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2000, 01:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys...I do notisce at times it drags down...especially around a damaged base...One thing that I can't figure...is in spite of good FPS (the real reason for all my questions) I get strange latencies at odd times...ie, I hit the "look left" button on the ol' stick, and a split second later, it looks...any ideas what causes that if it isn't FPS?

------------------
LO/FL Blimey
C flight - Bomber Div.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
What is a "good" FPS?
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2000, 07:43:00 AM »
Sounds like a lack of ram prob of some sorts. If views are stored in virtual memory (basically your hd), it'll be much slower to "load". Instead of ram->through bus->cpu, you'll have hdspinup (possibly), tracking arm getting into position and mechanic reading (very slow compared to ram) ->ram ->through bus->cpu (IIRC, need to reread on virtual memory before exam LOL, was eons ago I read about it once)

Or possibly malfunctioning memory on graphics card, or some stupid driver issue (most likely).

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
What is a "good" FPS?
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2000, 08:04:00 AM »
 Well I have decided that I now HATE my TNT2 Ultra.  It was great on the p2-300, but it is a HUGE bottle neck on the p3-750  It's realy wierd too.  The drivers that came with the card in the box are great.  I can get in and change the Boost level from 1-5 , Mip mapping level 0-12 and an assortment of other nifty little  options and sliders.  Works great and I get the best FPS with this driver.  40+ at all times in AH and 50-72 FPS solid in Halflife. Problem is that AH locks up everytime I go to the hangar with these drivers. EVERY time, sometimes in the tower too.  So I have to update to the newest drivers, and they suck! 20 fps less in both games, and I lose all the options and sliders in the setup menu.

Now to decide between the Geforce2 or the V5.  I've always had good results with Voodoo, and there are some old Glide only games that are still popular that I'd like to play again, plus the 4xFSAA    But I also want to make movies and the Geforce has all that video out/in stuff that is used for that.

HELP!!!!  

Udie

bug

What is a "good" FPS?
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2000, 08:26:00 AM »
Udie I use the same card as you with only the drivers that came with it. Frame rates 45-60 and no lock ups. Have P111 575 with 256 ram.Maybe you have a faulty card or your systym performance is to low because of backround programs running.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
What is a "good" FPS?
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2000, 08:59:00 AM »
I am getting 75 FPS looking straight up-- I run  1280x1024 in 32 bit color.

In 1028x780, only flew this this for an hour or so, I was getting 70 looking out the windscreen.

800x600-- havent tried-- I imagine it would be really high.

I didnt get anywhere near this till I changed Vid cards. Had a DV 550. gthe GeForce outclasses it immensely.

Geforce2 Mx
PIII 500 --stock
128 MG of RAM
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

MrSiD

What is a "good" FPS?
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2000, 10:50:00 AM »
I've tried AH with my Abit BH + Celeron466@533 + Geforce256 setup..
And generally I get 50-60fps with 16bit colors. Even 1600x1200 is totally playable as long as you dont activate 32bit mode due to limitations of the AGP bus and videomemory. I would strongly reckommend Geforce based vid card for games like AH.