Author Topic: Post your 1.10 experience here! (plz!)  (Read 335 times)

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Post your 1.10 experience here! (plz!)
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2002, 04:53:31 PM »
Warping will get better..

A20g is going to become a rival to the 110 for the title of 'Best machine to take on an NOE sneak'  4,000lbs, fast AND 6 50 cal in the nose kicks ass. Love it, Thanks  :D

Gatso

Offline richyaw

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2002, 06:05:11 PM »
Originally posted by eagl
1.10 experience...

After 2 hours DL'ing the update, the installer aborted with an error about stdshape.res being nonstandard.

I'm holding off a full install download until I get a tech support forum reply since that would be lots of extra pain over my modem.

edit:

I manually re-ran the installer and it installed ok.  I did see some bugs/problems though.

First, terrain tiles were flickering in and out.  I could see this effect (mostly masked but I could see it) through the instrument panel (spit 9) but it was mostly visible looking out the side of the cockpit over the wing.  I'd see what looked like a few dozen terrain tiles just wink in and out.  

FWIW, I was seeing 40-60 fps at 1280x1024, about 10-30 fps drop from 1.09, using an Athlon 1.4 and GeForce2.

Second, I don't like having voice but since I can't turn it off, I turn it all the way down.  This has the side effect of every time there's a voice message received, the master volume is muted for the duration of the voice transmission.  Irritating, and I can't tell if this is deliberate or a bug.  Either way, I want a button to turn the radio off entirely.  I can't afford the bandwidth, cpu cycles, or brain cells so I want an off switch for the voice radio.

This isn't a bug but it's odd - the map has a few buttons to turn on and off various map legends and information, but the buttons have symbols and no words.  There is no mouse-over popup either, so you have to guess what the symbol means (or read the manual and then try to remember it).  The one for winds looks like a toilet-bowl flush swirly so I'll remember that, and the other icons are sorta explanatory once you mess with them some, but mouse-over text would be very nice.

HT has identified other bugs (lancaster has no bombsight, oops) so there's a patch OTW already.  

end edit

hey bud what do u mean by u manually installed it because i have had the same error and i have tried everything i can think of and to no avail!!!

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2002, 06:17:34 PM »
i like it...
probs like the warps will soon be cleared up... we have had bigger probs with other versions, but this seems very stable so far..
:)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2002, 06:18:08 PM »
Looks like it'll be very nice.

Sadly, right now, the warps are so hideous it's unflyable for me.

I've seen some warpage at new release time before.. but nothin like this.

I'll try it again in a few days. hopefully, it'll be better.

HTC.. looks like this will be the best version ever... it's fer sure the warpiest new release i've ever seen. :D
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2002, 07:32:14 PM »
Richyaw,

Here's exactly what happened:

I went into AH, the autoupdater downloaded the file (about 17 meg) and the installer ran and aborted.

I exited AH, then restarted AH.  The autoupdater informed me that there was a new version, but would not download anything or run the update file.  I tried twice and "nothing kept happening".

I exited AH, and went into the Aces High folder.  For me, it is c:\Program Files\Htc\Aces High, and found the file AH1092T110.exe.  I ran that file, and the updater completed this time.

I didn't do much else other than making sure nothing else was running at the time.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Exceelnt
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2002, 07:58:34 PM »
I was on just to take out my bomer box of 17's...well a a-20 havoc warped right into my guns..heheh KILLLLLLLLLLLLL

it took alot of hits..the pilot made a bad pass on us ..and im a bad bellybutton gunner....other then that havent had too much expereince,,I tried to bail out of my burning 17 ...but had to ride it to ground..my wingys got killed by a vic formation of ftr..they did a ver y good attak on my 2 wingy 17's..I did kill 2 of them tho..heheheh

I love the Desert terrain....much easier to see lo lvl attkas....

I used to use the tunsina terrain whith euro paint jobs in AW....easier to see planes..ya its kinda cheatn..Thank god not all these planes have dessert cammo...o oo what a bich that would be...\

EXCELLT JOB HTC..salute..i happily send you my 70 bucks for the 6 months:)

Salute...

Love BiGB...xoxoxo

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2002, 08:03:17 PM »
Checked the BBS this morning to see if it was still closed, saw HT's post in the news section so I closed the browser and cranked up AH.

Auto updater started and it took about 12 minutes to dl 1.10 (luv my DSL connex). Installation Wizard took over and worked flawlessly.

Started AH offline and went and tried all the new planes, and set my views. Noticed that the sights for the F4F, and FM2 are off somewhat (have to get the armourer to take a look at that).:D

Had about 45 minutes left before I had to leave for work so I tried the MA. Got right in :eek: which is a switch from last new version day ones! Flew the P40E, got one kill on a 110, engaged a Spit V, lost advantage so I drug him for a country man. ;) RTB'd on fumes and got vulched by a 190 while on the runway. :rolleyes:

I encountered a box of high B-17s. Before sighting them visually, I had them on dar, so now I know that a box formation shows as a single dot on dar.

I encountered some micro warping when engaging the spit, but my encounter with the 110 was very smooth. There was some 180 online during this time. We will have to see what happens as more get online.All in all a very impressive day of release experience. :D

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2002, 08:11:24 PM »
superwarps.. dont like em. but its patch, this be better left to judge a week after.

fm? dunno what happened, I cant pull more than 3gs on my 38, even with flaps out and at different speeds. only in a spin did I ever see it go past 3. And no, the stall limiter thingy wasnt on. sticks recalibrated in AH and windows, same effect.

Map: like the size, LOVE the alt fields.. HATE the gdamn terrain tiles. color blind and a fricken yellow/white terrain makes any icon color combination you can possibly do be totally useless. if its blue hue you cant see em when they above. they red hue, cant see em when they below horizon.. and the only colors avaliable for enemy icon, white and yellow blur out in the sand tile terrain. :( :( Im being jumped by romulans all the time.

and since new patch, for some reason, my guns fire a burst.. then STOP firing after 1 second... have to let go trigger, push it again to get it shooting. ???

Judgment pending lag issue resolution: nice, but wtf? :)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2002, 08:25:30 PM »
So far 1.10 has been a mixed bag for me.  Some of the new features seem pretty cool but the map is going to take a lot of getting used to.... it's hard to seperate out my feelings of dealing with somthing that I'm just not used to yet vs.  some new feature that I personally feel might be a step in the wrong direction only time will tell in that case.  As if stands now I don't know how we're going to find fights with the size of the new map, I felt like the old maps were a tad small for the # of people online and this new one might be too big at all but peak hours.  But like I said only familiarity and time will see how I feel about the new terrain in the end, I guess I'll just have to have patience and see how things play out.  My only solid gripe about the new version is I lost 10-15 frames per second across the board dropping my in cockpit framtes when I'm flying alone to 21-26, and I really can't afford a new system right now.

oh and teh F4F-4 is a flying tank... I took half dozen or so hits from a typhoon at close range and kept on flying, I had a lot of damage, but I was still flying. :)

I do like how many of the fields are elevated across the board pushes the fights up in alt which can affect plane vs. plane performance.  
« Last Edit: July 03, 2002, 08:29:02 PM by Soulyss »
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Moose1

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2002, 08:32:59 PM »
A couple of plane thoughts:

Boston III:  Eh.  Scenario bomber.  Only 4 500-pounders and .303 popguns for defensive armament...it's fairly fast though.

A-20G:  Heheheheheh.  Vulchmobile, anyone? :)  Don't pull 5+ G with it or you'll snap the wings right off (shades of the WarBirds B-25H).  300+ on the deck, eight 500-pound bombs, six .50s with 350 rounds per gun.  It should be a good attack plane...but I'm not sure it's survivable against a field with AAA up.  It's an awful big target.

FM-2:  Fun plane.  Too slow to get out of its own way, but a decent climber.  It's got a GREAT immediate break turn, rolls fairly well, seems to be a good scissoring plane.  It's kind of weak on firepower (four .50s).  It's a great little furballer.

P-40E:  Keep it fairly fast, keep some alt, fly it like a Hog (as Weave said in another thread).  It isn't a furballer.  You can turn inside a LOT of stuff but you'll kill your energy doing so and wind up slow and mushy and toasted. :)

Edit:  Warps are HELLISH right now.  I mean, worst I've ever seen.  380+ in the MA a little while ago, and while some folks were very smooth, others were warping sideways and back 300+ yards at a time.  The downloads are killing HTC's bandwidth.

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2002, 09:01:49 PM »
Well its only been the first day so far so I really have to wait and give things more time. Quick thoughts though:

[list=1]
  • Love all the new planes
  • Like the smoke particle affects so far
  • Not sure on the 3 buff bomber formations. The effectiveness of the heavy bombers might or might not suffer. I well let the true buff jocks figure out if they find it improves their game quality or not for them. For me its too much to take in right now and I will have to ease back into bombing another time. Right now I think I will be doing JABOing and Fighter Sweeps.
  • The new map is in my honest opinion too big. We needed a new map but basically this map has 240% more bases than Mindanao, Baltic, Etc. .. I think going from roughly 75 bases to 150 bases instead of 255 bases might have been better. But will have to wait and see if game play bears this out.

Right now I just feel like I am suffering sensory overload.

I will say that I don't at all like the countries being each broken up into 3 different unconnected chunks. It doesn't feel like a country to me any more this way. We went front basically 2 fronts to 9 fronts for each country.
[/list]

Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2002, 09:10:16 PM by ghostdancer »
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline DmdBT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.damned.org
1.10 initial impression
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2002, 11:52:25 PM »
Warp, warp warp warp, warp warp warp. Warp warp warp warp, warp warp, warp warp warp warp. Warp warp warp warp warp. Warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp. Warp warp Field 233 captured by Knights warp warp warp warp warp warp. Warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp. Warp warp warp warp warp warp... warp warp warp. Warp warp warp warp, "Warp warp warp warp warp." Warp warp warp warp Field 482 captured by the Bishops warp warp warp.  Warp warp warp warp warp, FTdweeb: KILLED USMC STYLE>>>> warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp. Warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp warp; warp warp warp warp logged off in disgust warp warp warp warp warp warp.

Warp

Offline OSCAR

• Zinc Member
pretty nice
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2002, 12:00:58 AM »
Map was huge for first 2 hours of play..but once you check out the sections it really is big but not so daunting as when you first see it and try getting around... HTC another well done upgrade, and as usual HTC will fix the little annoyances we call "bugs".  so everyone hold on to your panties if you're upset now.

Offline iwojima

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2002, 12:09:11 AM »
Didn't have a lot of time to play but flew in H2H to check out the new planes...really likin the FM-2-first time i upped it got 4 kills
and am averagin 2-3 kills and upping in a FFA room..P40B outurned a spit14 and blew him to pieces..probly b/c of warp...Like the new carpet bombing:D

Offline rabbit

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2002, 12:35:15 AM »
So... what happened?

Did we get a FM overhaul too? took up  my 51B and it was sorta porked (all control surfaces felt all different)

i agree with Tac.
  took  a few sorties to confirm how i feel about  the new terrain and.. i still do not like it. ( sorry AK's)

cant see dots or icons. i am hoping that it will grow on me and im sure that we will have a patch.

the buff thing looks cool but i thought that that the buff drivers could jump to another buff in the flight  when  the lead was shot down? i shot down a lanc and  all 3 fell out of the sky. ( is this a bug?)

oh well im off for vacation all will be well when i get  back
have fun all :)