Author Topic: Bombing ...quick guide......  (Read 85 times)

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Bombing ...quick guide......
« on: July 04, 2002, 10:07:52 AM »
ok ive had a bit of success with the bombing so ive decided to run throught a few of the things ive realised whilst playing...

first as you are getting used to the bombing start your bombing runs on a north to south or east to west track (or vise versa)
this way you get used to the wind effects a little easier until you are proficient at bombing.

Start your bomb run from a long way out.
I reduce speed to about half throttle and open doors early as this effects the speed due to drag.
Try to set your bomber directly at the target before you go to the site so theres minimal movement once you have calibrated.

In bombsite press the bombsite calibration key and bring up the clipboard and click on the base you are hitting.Make sure you click ACCURATELY on the base as the slightest deviation can set a completely different height.(zoom in on map for more accuracy)
now push up on the joystick and look for a hanger to track as near the centre line(your course flying) as you can. Here you will get an idea if you are right on course for the base or a little off target.
As you are so slow, if you are way off quickly go to pilot adjust course, go back to bombsite press calibration off and on again and move the joystick up to repeat the process of looking for a hanger to track.
Once you find a hanger try your best to smoothly track it for a few seconds whilst holding the MARK target key.
once you have done this you are calibrated.
NOW turn calibration OFF!
you will see that the bomb site now resembles the way it used to look in the easy bombing AH days :)
the crosshairs point in a sort of 45degree slope ahead of your aircraft.
Now bomb as normal (try not to swerve around too much to line up now ;))

now whilst we are learning set a nice salvo.

i use .salvo 4 if a lone bomber with a .delay .3 so as to spread the bombs nicely.
if im in a formation i might use .salvo 3 or even .salvo 2 as the other bombers help cover a nice area and their blast helps kill the target.

if you really want to be sure then salvo all of your bombs with a .delay .5 (experiment to find the best timing) and drop just before your chosen target so your salvo (hopefully) covers a long track hitting ahead,on and past your chosen target.

hope this helps

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2002, 10:11:12 AM »
Kweassa posted an Excellent bit on driving buffs with the new system in the help board.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2002, 10:18:59 AM »
thanks Hazed
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2002, 10:49:53 AM »
I calibrate on the way to the target...and then relax and bomb at the target...

Get to the alt you want to bomb at.
note the throttle setting..(calibrate at 3/4 throttle and you will have more time over the field)
open your doors. let the plane slow down.
You will have to bomb at this altitude and this speed to be effecitve.
Go to the bomb sight
Go to calibrate mode.
Pick a spot on the ground.. ( I watch for a nice mark target as I fly) As far as I know the alt of the calbrate target is irellivent. Only how closely you match your speed and alt at drop to your speed and alt at calibration
Use the joystick to put the cross hairs on it.
Let the cross hairs settle in for a sec till your steady.
Hold down the mark key for as long as you can.
(5 seconds is easy)
When you release the mark key it will tell you to click on the target on the map to put the target alt in..

.. leave calibrate mode by hiting calibrate key again.

now
If you had a very steady mark..
and if you fly at the speed you where at and the alt you where at during the calibration, and if you are reasobnably steady during your drop, you can still hit very accuratly...

you can definatly take out acks at 10k with 100 pound bombs..I got three in my first pass with 3 bombs...and there are 3 of you dropping...

You can certainly do several passes at a base just like you used too. but you have to do the long bomb runs that are described..cause you have to get back to your alt and speed almost perfectly..

Totaly different bombing game...

this system is a blast...
Thanks HTC.