Author Topic: Need some Joystick advise...  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Need some Joystick advise...
« on: December 23, 2001, 09:09:00 AM »
I'm gonna buy a new stick and I need to know which is the BEST for Aces High and why...

I have been using a Sidewinder Precision Pro USB stick but it is very bouncy....I have tweaked the settings over and over but still no joy....I think it has seen better days and it's time to get a new one.

Suggestions?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2001, 09:43:00 AM »
I've had good experience with CH gear--notably the f16 fighter stick, Pro throttles and Pro pedals in a USB config.

Hearty, durable stuff.

dh
(now if I could only eliminate my 750 ms delay and actually play this game...)

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2001, 09:59:00 AM »
CH stuff is good especially after tearing up dozens of TM sticks but... You will need to fix the little girl springs in the stick... This is difficult if you wish to have a neat looking setup.   If you don't mind people laughing their butt off when they see it... there is a simple fix.
lazs

Offline ~Pyroman~

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nightmares.org
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2001, 10:02:00 AM »
I have the CH setup and I love it.  I have the USB Combatstick 568, Pro Pedal, and Pro Throttle.  It improved my flying ability alot being I don't have to mess with the keyboard much anymore!

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2001, 10:12:00 AM »
What about that new Thrustmater Cougar err whatever it's called coming out in January.

Whats the deal with that? Worth the wait?

Worth the $250 for a stick and throttle?

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2001, 10:17:00 AM »
but... You will need to fix the little girl springs in the stick...
lazs

Please elaborate--I've never heard of this on the F16 fighter stick.

thanks

dh

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2001, 10:19:00 AM »
If you can wait, get the TM HOTAS Cougar.

It will be hands down THE BEST stick/throttle combo available.

All metal construction and entirely USB (with available 15-pin input for rudder peddels) The whole thing registers to Windows as one multi-axis device.

Fully programable. Everything from button clicks, scaling, axis swapping, marco execution, you name it, it's probably programable.

Cougar all the way.

Originally posted by lazs1:
CH stuff is good especially after tearing up dozens of TM sticks but...
lazs

Another reason to buy TM. I've had my F-16FLCS and TQS for almost 8 years now, and it still works just fine. The only thing I havedone is replaced the pot for the TQS, and made a repair to the 4-way switch on it.

If you think $250.00 is too much for a stick, consider how many CH crap sticks you will need to buy during the next 8 years.

For that matter, you CH guys, please tell us how many you have bought in the last 8 and compare that to how many TMs I bought (1)  :D

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Midnight ]

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2001, 10:28:00 AM »
horn.. i have the f16 combat stick and when I got it the "springs" were so weak that I could move the stick throughout its travel with the tip of my pinky finger.   There is no clean fix that I am aware of.   The springs are not made to be easily replaced with springs stiff enough to matter.   My fix is crude but effective.
lazs

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2001, 10:31:00 AM »
The CH stuff has "softer" springs... some people don't like it (myself included)... but that can be fixed.  That is what lazs is describing.

As for the Cougar HOTAS... I'll definately be getting one.  BUT... don't buy that its the end-all-be-all of joysticks until the reviews are in.  All metal sounds cool, but it isn't necessarily a good idea.  There is a reason most companies went away from all metal hand-held power tools and the military uses high-density plastics for their stuff.  Metal is potentially more durable, but at the risk of ergo issues <someone was taking about AH thumb in another thread?>.

AKDejaVu

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2001, 11:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Midnight:
For that matter, you CH guys, please tell us how many you have bought in the last 8 and compare that to how many TMs I bought (1)   :D

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Midnight ]

I've got an F16 FLCS/TQS/RCS sitting in my closet. Got tired of the constant tweaking required on it and I've been using a SideWinder PP2 for two years now.
sand

Offline FlyingDuckSittingSwan

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2001, 12:15:00 PM »
Yeah well...I bought a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D and it's now got a problem physically and it has a few spikes on throttle and twist rudder.  :mad:

I think a friend of mine broke my joystick because it was his first go at a flight sim and the idiot thought that the more violent you were with the stick, the more the plane would respond. After he used it, it was never the same again.  :mad:

So I don't know if it's the build quality or the idiot who broke it.

p.s. Why don't we get any good sticks here in the UK? I can't find the good ones you people are talking about.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2001, 05:31:00 PM »
The Cougar should be coming out in Europe too...and since TM is now owned by Guillemot, the prices will probably be reasonable too.  (compared to the cost in the US market)

SOB

Now, more about this CH versus TM stuff.  I haven't seen a good joystick flame war in quite a while!  "My stiff stick is much better than your stoopid floppy stick any day!"
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2001, 05:33:00 PM »
PS to Sandman...it's a shame your poor TM gear is sitting useless & lonely in your closet.  How's about you send 'em to me, and I'll make sure they get some use!   :)
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2001, 05:59:00 PM »
Been using the same F16-FLCS since '95. Got the TQS a little later. Did the digital upgrade upgrade about a year ago.  

I think CH quality is better than TM but I still preordered a TM Cougar and am eagerly waiting.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2001, 06:22:00 PM »
All CH here. Never done me wrong.