Author Topic: TBM and 3 Ship Formation  (Read 434 times)

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
TBM and 3 Ship Formation
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2002, 09:50:08 AM »
I hope I'm around watching the first time someone turns the CV right after the first TBM leaves the deck and two drones mindlessly drive into the tower or off the side.  The channel 1 fun should just be "special."
:D

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
TBM and 3 Ship Formation
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2002, 11:57:24 AM »
I hope I'm around watching the first time someone turns the CV right after the first TBM leaves the deck and two drones mindlessly drive into the tower or off the side. The channel 1 fun should just be "special."

Or do something else idiotic.

I wish I had film of trying to get a formation of B-17s off of a base in the southeast part of the pizza map. The first time I took off, I discovered I didn't have any drones. So I landed and tried again. No drones. Landed and relaunched, immediately switching to exterior view and looked back behind me.

Both B-17 drones, at full throttle, were accelerating backwards up the hill behind the end of the runway at about three times the takeoff acceleration of a B-17 until they reached the range limit and exploded. Wierdest thing I'd ever seen, and one of the funniest to watch. I knew you could reverse the propellor pitch on a real 17, but I didn't think you could get that much thrust that way...

Watching a pair of drones smash into the tower or fall over the side wouldn't, I think, compare to watching them back off the stern and drop into the wake... if you could repeat that,  you might be able to get some dubious fame by opening the bay doors immediately on launch so you could get  a drone that backed off the stern to drop its torp as it went over, and become the first person to killshoot themselves by torpedoing their own CV without ever getting off the deck...

Offline AAvenger

• Zinc Member
TBM and 3 Ship Formation
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2002, 07:14:25 AM »
VT-8 Midway TBF Avengers will be very pleased.

Offline Tracer-15

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/drenched15/mypage.html
TBM and 3 Ship Formation
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2002, 08:16:40 AM »
i had a sort of VT-8 experience in Ju's one night......loaded up with torps and went cv hunting....and i found one....took a little while to get into position and get speed and alt down.....wish we had some idea of the limitations on speed and alt for those torps....anyway....i fired six torps at them.....it must have been luck or the fact that i was turning slightly when i fired that i ended up nailing the CA and the CV in one pass....that was cool.......but the dd's nailed me when i went by