Author Topic: the recent AW vs. AH uproar  (Read 3308 times)

Offline +Lute

• Zinc Member
the recent AW vs. AH uproar
« on: November 07, 2001, 04:39:00 AM »
I am a displaced Air Warrior who is now a member of the Aces High community.  Having loved full realism in AW I found AH a logical choice for me.  I have been reading the AH boards for about 6 months, and I have recently gotten quite a laugh at Arlo and the other posters that have caused such an uproar here.  Thought I would share my two cents will all the baby seals that have been getting clubbed here lately.

An announcement! Because of the AH vs AW dispute it has been decided to devote the rest of this space to a page specially written for people who like figures of speech, for the not a few fans of litotes, and those with no small interest in meiosis, for the infinite millions of hyperbole-lovers, for those fond of hypallage, and the epithet's golden transfer, for those who fall willingly into the arms of the metaphor, those who give up the ghost, bury their heads in the sand and ride roughshod over the mixed metaphor, and even those of hyperbaton the friends.  It will be too, for those who reprehend the malapropism; who love the wealth of metonymy; for all friends of rhetoric and syllepsis; and zeugmatists withsmiling eyes and hearts.  It will bring a large absence of unsatisfactory malevolence to periphrastic fans; a wig harm bello to spoonerists; and in nosmall measure a not less than splendid greeting to you circumlocutors.  The World adores prosopopeiasts, and the friendly faces of synechdotists, and can one not make those amorous of anacoluthon understand that if they are not satisfied by this, what is to happen to them?  It will attempt to really welcome all splitters of infinitives, all who are Romeo and Juliet to antonomasia, those who drink up similes like sparkling champagne, who lose nothing compared with comparison heads, self-evident axiomists, all pithy aphorists, apothegemists, maximiles, theorists, epigrammatists and evengnomists. And as for the lovers of aposiopesis -- !  It will wish bienvenu to all classical adherents of euphuism, all meta thesi stic birds, golden paranomasiasts covered in guilt, fallacious paralogists, trophists, anagogists, and anaphorists; to greet, welcome, embrace asyndeton buffs, while the lovers of ellipsis will be well-met and its followers embraced, as will be chronic worshippers of catachresis and supporter of anastrophe the world over.

+Lute
III/JG26ST Widow Maker +WM81

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2001, 06:12:00 AM »
Old stuff. Rotor uses better bait.   :cool:

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2001, 06:30:00 AM »
Looks like someone found a dicktionary  :)

Sorry to hear about the loss of AW and I hope AH can live up to your wildest dreams, welcom aboard!

Broes

Offline Immel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2001, 08:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by Broes:
welcom aboard!

Broes

Nou, dank je. ;-)

Immel

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2001, 09:10:00 AM »
I took the liberty of putting this lead post into the Dialector and came out with the following:

Redneck:
An announcement! Fry mah hide! On account o' of th' AH vs AW dispute it has been decided t'devote th' ress of this hyar space t'a page specially writ
fo' varmints who like figgers of speech, fo' th' not a few fans of litotes, an' them wif no small interess in meiosis, fo' th' infinite millions of hyperbole-lovahs,
fo' them fond of hypallage, an' th' epifet's golden transfer, fo' them who fall willin'ly into th' arms of th' metapho', them who give up th' ghost, bury their
haids in th' san' an' ride roughshod on over th' mixed metapho', an' even them of hyperbaton th' friends. It will be too, fo' them who reprehend th'
malapropism; who love th' wealth of metonymah; fo' all friends of rheto'ic an' syllepsis; an' zeugmatists wifsmilin' eyes an' hearts. It will brin' a large
absence of unsatisfacko'y malevolence t'periphrastic fans; a wig harm bello t'spoonerists; an' in nosmall measure a not less than splendid greetin' t'yo'
circumlocuto's. The Wo'ld ado'es prosopopeiasts, an' th' friendly faces of synechdotists, an' kin one not make them amo'ous of anacoluthon unnerstan'
thet effluff'n they is not satisfied by this, whut is t'happen t'them? It will attempp t'pow'ful welcome all splitters of infinitives, all who is Romeo an' Juliet
t'antonomasia, them who six pack up similes like sparklin' likker, who lose nothin' compared wif comparison haids, se'f-evident axiomists, all pify
apho'ists, apothegemists, maximiles, theo'ists, epigrammatists an' evengnomists. An' as fo' th' lovahs of aposiopesis -- ! Fry mah hide! It will wish
bienvenu t'all classical adharnts of euphuism, all meta thesi stic birds, golden pareenomasiasts covahed in guilt, fallacious pareelogists, trophists,
anagogists, an' anapho'ists; t'greet, welcome, embrace asyndeton buffs, while th' lovahs of ellipsis will be fine-met an' its follerers embraced, as will be
chronic wo'shippers of catachresis an' suppo'ter of anastrophe th' wo'ld on over.

Swedish Chef-ese:
Un unnuooncement! Becoose-a ooff zee EH fs EV deespoote-a it hes beee deceeded tu defute-a zee rest ooff thees spece-a tu a pege-a speceeelly
vreettee fur peuple-a vhu leeke-a feegoores ooff speech, fur zee nut a foo funs ooff leetutes, und thuse-a veet nu smell interest in meeeusis, fur zee
inffeenite-a meelliuns ooff hyperbule-a-lufers, fur thuse-a fund ooff hypellege-a, und zee ipeezeet's guldee trunsffer, fur thuse-a vhu fell veellingly intu zee
erms ooff zee metephur, thuse-a vhu geefe-a up zee ghust, boory zeeur heeds in zee sund und reede-a ruooghshud oofer zee meexed metephur, und ifee
thuse-a ooff hyperbetun zee freeends. Um gesh dee bork, bork! It veell be-a tuu, fur thuse-a vhu reprehend zee meleprupeesm; vhu lufe-a zee veelt ooff
metunymy; fur ell freeends ooff rhetureec und syllepsees; und zeoogmeteests veethsmiling iyes und heerts. Um gesh dee bork, bork! It veell breeng a
lerge-a ebsence-a ooff unseteesffectury melefulence-a tu pereephrestic funs; a veeg herm bellu tu spuunereests; und in nusmell meesoore-a a nut less thun
splendeed greeteeng tu yuoo curcoomlucooturs. Um gesh dee bork, bork! Zee Vurld edures prusupupeeeests, und zee freeendly feces ooff
synechduteests, und cun oone-a nut meke-a thuse-a emuruoos ooff uneculoothun understund thet iff zeey ere-a nut seteesffied by thees, vhet is tu heppee
tu zeem? It veell ettempt tu reelly velcume-a ell spleetters ooff inffeenitifes, ell vhu ere-a Rumeu und Jooleeet tu untunumeseea, thuse-a vhu dreenk up
seemiles leeke-a sperkleeng chempegne-a, vhu luse-a nutheeng cumpered veet cumpereesun heeds, selff-ifeedent exeeumists, ell peethy ephureests,
epuzeegemeests, mexeemiles, zeeureests, ipeegremmetists und ifengnumeests. Um gesh dee bork, bork! Und es fur zee lufers ooff epuseeupesis -- ! It
veell veesh beeenfenoo tu ell clesseecel edherents ooff ioophooeesm, ell meta zeesee steec burds, guldee perunumeseeests cufered in gooeelt,
felleceeuoos perelugeests, trupheests, unegugeests, und unephureests; tu greet, velcume-a, imbrece-a esyndetun booffffs, vheele-a zee lufers ooff illeepsis
veell be-a vell-met und its fullooers imbreced, es veell be-a chruneec vursheeppers ooff cetechresees und sooppurter ooff unestruphe-a zee vurld oofer.
Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp!

Hacker:
AN ANNOUNECMNET~ B3CAUES O tH EZH VS AW DiSPUTE IT AHS BWEN dECIDED TO DEVOTE THE EST OFG THSI SPACE T O
A PAGE SECIALLY WRITTEN FRO LAMERZ WH LIEK FIGUREZ OF SPEECH, FRTO TEH NOT a DE\\\\////\\\\//// FANS OF LITOTEZ,
A|\|D RTHOSE WITH NO SMALL INTAREST IN MIEOSIS, FrO TEH INFINITE MILLIONS OF HYPeRBOLE-LOVARS, FOR THOSE
FOND OF HYPOALLAGE, AND TH3 EPITEHT"S GOLDN TRA|\|SGFAR, FROT HOSE WJHO FALL WILLINGLy 1NMTO ThE 4RMZ OF
ETH METAPHOR, THOSEW H GIVE UP TEH GHOST, BUR TEHIR HEADS IN THE SAND A|\|D RDIE ORUGHSHOD OVEER THE
MIXED METAPHOR, AND EVEN THOSE OF HYARBATON ThE LAmERS IT WILL BE TOO, FORR THOSE WHO REPREH3ND THW
MAL4PROPISM; WhO LOVE TEH WEALTH OF M3T0NYMY; FOR ALL LAMERS O RHETEPOIC AND SYKLESIS; AND
ZEUG/\/\aTISTS W1THSMIKLING EYES AnD H3ARRS ti will btring a large azbsEnce of usatisactryo malevolEnce to periphrasticf nas ;sa wig harm
belLo to spoonaRists;a nd in nomsal lmeasure a not less thsan splendid greeting to you circumlocutroS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11~~~ The world addroes
prosopopieastrS, 4nd th3 ds00dLy faces if synechdoptiustrs, andc azn noe not amk3 thos3 amro0us of anacolkuthon unadrstand that if teHy ar not
satsfeId by thia, whaT s1 o ahppen t oth3m?????????????????? It w il7 attempt to really welco/\/\e all spl1ttafs of i|\|finiytivez, all \\\\////\\\\////ho are
or/\/\3o adn jul;3it to antonomasia, those who drink up simies like sparklinG champ4Gne, \\\\////\\\\////ho lose nOthing c0mpasrd with comParison heads,
self-e\/idEnt aXiomists, all pithy 4phhroistz, Apoth3gemists, masimiL3z,, theroistz, epigrasMmatsitz and evengnomists and as rfpo the lovers pf
aposipesis -- !!!!!!!!!!!!!111 THEIR IS A ARTIO DO|\|T RIPE ME OFF it will wish be1nv3nut oall classical adharentZ of euphuism, all meta thEs1 stic
birds, golden p4ranomasizasTs covereds in guil,t falLaciouz pralogistz, torphists ,anazgoGistz, and naphoirsts;; t0 greet, welcome, embrave asdyndeton
buffs, wjhiletje lovars of ell;ipsis will be well--met and its f0ll0werZ embr4ce,d as qill be chorn1c worshippers o fcatachresis and supprot3rro f
4nastorph3 Teh wrold ovar,,,

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2001, 09:22:00 AM »
Hehe ... I just knew Pakin's autogen and the dialectizer wouldn't be a novelty here.  

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2001, 09:41:00 AM »
I just cant get on with this stuff. :)

when i read it i have to re-read it to catch certain words! drives me nuts i tell ya!
I once bought a book calle 'the moon is a harsh mistress' by Robert Heinlein and its written just like this.He did it in the 1960's! Needless to say an hour into the book I got a headache.
Anyone read 'trainspotting' the book of the film?(if you havent its not about spotting trains!  :D) .Well its written in the same manner to simulate the scottish accent only I couldnt understand 90% of the words on the 1st read and yet I have cousins who have strong scottish accents and i understand them perfectly.Its just frustrating to read and reduces my reading ability to how it was when I first learned to read as a kid!,kills the whole flow of reading and thus the 'cant put it down' bit goes right out the bloody window  :)
I really hope this stuff doesnt start flooding these boards.HEADACHE TIME!   :rolleyes:

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2001, 09:52:00 AM »
I took it upon myself to translate this for the FDB's.  :p
FDB Translation
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2001, 09:57:00 AM »
LOL Super! Lotta "r"'s in that!

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2001, 10:47:00 AM »
I prefer the Miguel translation...

i am a displaced air warrior who is now a member of the aces high community. ha ha it is more fun to be fat. hooker pig says "gravy please!" having loved full realism in aw I am Mean Bunny! Ruler of the retardeds!!! I LIVE IN MEXICO IN THE HAT OF A GIANT FATTY! thought i did share my two cents will all the baby seals that have been getting clubbed here lately.

an announcement!! i will eat you now!because of the ah vs aw dispute it has been decided to devote the rest of this space to a page specially written for people who like figures of speech, for the not a few fans of litotes, and those with no small interest in meiosis, for the infinite millions of hyperbole-lovers, for those fond of hypallage, and the epithet's golden transfer, for those who fall willingly into the arms of the metaphor, those who give up the ghost, bury there heads in the sand and ride roughshod over the mixed metaphor, and even those of hyperbaton the studmuffins.urr! i am the captin of the spaceship.HE IS SPACE studmuffin. it will be too, for those who reprehend the malapropism; who love the wealth of metonymy; for all studmuffins of rhetoric and syllepsis; and zeugmatists withsmiling eyes and hearts.i am so sad to be fat! it will bring a fat absence of unsatisfactory malevolence to periphrastic fans; a wig harm bello to spoonerists; and in nosmall measure a not less than splendid greeting to you stupid diddlyshits.the world adores prosopopeiasts, and the studmuffinly faces of synechdotists, and can one not make those amorous of anacoluthon understand that if they are not satisfied by this, what is to happen to them? it is because he is a studmuffin. it will attempt to really hello dog. BYE BYE LITTLE PUPPY YOU ARE FOOD!!! bark! hello fatty. i will eat you in a sandwich. YOU FAT squeak.AND AS FOR THE LOVERS OF APOSIOPESIS -- ! IT WILL WISH BIENVENU TO ALL CLASSICAL ADHERENTS OF EUPHUISM, ALL META THESI STIC BIRDS, GOLDEN PARANOMASIASTS COVERED IN GUILT, FALLACIOUS PARALOGISTS, TROPHISTS, ANAGOGISTS, AND ANAPHORISTS; TO GREET, WELCOME, EMBRACE ASYNDETON BUFFS, WHILE THE LOVERS OF ELLIPSIS WILL BE WELL-MET AND ITS FOLLOWERS EMBRACED, AS WILL BE CHRONIC WORSHIPPERS OF CATACHRESIS AND SUPPORTER OF ANASTROPHE THE WORLD OVER.i have no hat!

+lute
iii/jg26st widow maker +wm81

Kind of reminds me of Animal!

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2001, 03:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Broes:
Looks like someone found a dicktionary   :)

Sorry to hear about the loss of AW and I hope AH can live up to your wildest dreams, welcom aboard!

Broes

My wildest dreams all involve women.. can it help me there ?

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2001, 03:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by SUPERFLY:
I took it upon myself to translate this for the FDB's.   :p

LoL, invite Johnson to the podium please.

Offline +Lute

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2001, 04:48:00 PM »
Geez... I would have thought a few of you peeps would know their Monty Python.  T'was a direct quote from one of their scrips.
Oh well...
+Lute
III/JG26ST +WM81

Offline Durr

• Copper Member
      • http://us.geocities.com/ghostrider305
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2001, 05:18:00 PM »
you would have thought that the knights that say "ni" would have gotten it at least then

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2001, 08:39:00 PM »
lol sob rulz

"wow your couch is rich!"

"that's not a beanbag that fatty is my wife"

hahah ya gotta love miguel