Author Topic: Idea for a special event...  (Read 381 times)

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
Idea for a special event...
« on: July 10, 2002, 12:02:12 PM »
I don't know if this is a new idea, if it is practical, or even if it is an idea that anyone would be interested in.  I just thought that it might be something that could be fun and interesting.

I call it the Base Race (you can call it whatever you want - including stupid).

It consists of 2 countries fighting over a third neutral base.  I don't know if you can make a base neutral, but this is easy to work around.  The two countries try to capture the base while denying the base to the other.  The neutral base only has the acks to defend it.

Basically, I was thinking that almost anything goes in terms of planes used and such, but this can also be limited.  I was thinking that you could limit bombers and goons from the large base and only have fighters from the medium fields.  The map would be very small and radar would be disabled, maybe even use the icons that were used in the big scenarios like Big Week and Hostile Shores.

The idea here is for a country to take the field while denying its capture to the enemy.  This can be accomplished by letting the other country do the hard work of knocking down the acks and town, and then trying to get your goon in.  A balanced attack may work, or it may not.

I created a general image of what I think the map should look like.  The neutral base should be on an island that is equidistant from the two warring countries.  The map doesn't have to be anything too special, just servicable.  I was also thinking that you could have three bases on the middle (neutral) island, all 3 at different altitudes (0k, 5k, 10k) while the starting bases for the two countries are all at 0k.

The other idea was that you could turn this into a squad type competition.  The bases can be fairly close together so you don't need huge squads of 30 guys.  You could even come up with teams of a specified number that compete in a sort of tournament.

Anyways, like I said, it is just an idea.  It sounded like fun, but I don't know if anyone would really want to do it.  Hell, it probably has been considered and tossed out the window.

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2002, 01:47:57 PM »
I think the VERY LAST Event run in AW was soemthing like this.

You had people fly to the other sides bases CAPING and PORKING and Vulching to keep them from taking off.

We had TROOPS droping left and right. At one point the base changed hands 5-6 times in 1 minute !

It was a hoot and was fun to fly in. You had furballs, and buff runs and goon runs.

Jordi
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2002, 04:23:36 PM »
Originally posted by jordi
I think the VERY LAST Event run in AW was soemthing like this.

You had people fly to the other sides bases CAPING and PORKING and Vulching to keep them from taking off.

We had TROOPS droping left and right. At one point the base changed hands 5-6 times in 1 minute !

It was a hoot and was fun to fly in. You had furballs, and buff runs and goon runs.

Jordi
Difference was that in AW we could gun our goonies!  :D  Had a blast in that event, but it wouldn't have been the same without the gunned goonies....  ;)

LOL, I remember at one point a field was changing ownership by the second as different country's troops were landing....
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun