Author Topic: Your opinion about XP  (Read 845 times)

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Your opinion about XP
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2002, 04:22:14 PM »
Originally posted by Animal
What, I'm gonna get busted or something?

Originally posted by Skuzzy
If it is the corporate version, the time started when the license was acquired and is embedded in the installation key. Basically, if the company that purchased the license lets you go or goes under, then at expiration time you will have to purchase a new copy of XP, or whatever they are shipping.
You can read the license agreement from MS to find all this out, by the way.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Your opinion about XP
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2002, 06:29:13 PM »
BD5... i can't justify the expense of a new mobo and replace all that ram... I hardly think the performance boost is worth the $300 canuck bux.   And lookin at 3dmark scores... it sure isn't +)

SKurj

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Your opinion about XP
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2002, 07:06:09 PM »
Animal, all I can say is I hope you don't plan on installing Service Pack 1 when it comes out... ;)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Your opinion about XP
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2002, 07:09:03 PM »
Computer with DDR is about 5-15% faster than one with SDR-ram.

I just built a computer with 1,2GHz AMD Duron and 256megs SDR-ram from "left overs" (Abit KT7a, Radeon 64 vivo, Terratec 512i soundcard). Not as fast as 1,51GHz TB with 768DDR but runs every game I tried so far.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Your opinion about XP
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2002, 08:08:15 PM »
I absolutely love XP. Best OS I've run without a doubt.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Your opinion about XP
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2002, 09:00:23 PM »
Originally posted by bloom25
Animal, all I can say is I hope you don't plan on installing Service Pack 1 when it comes out... ;)

Yeap, I know that in SP1 many stolen corporate CD-Keys will be blocked.

However, I already know a way around this.

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Your opinion about XP
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2002, 10:30:35 PM »
Lepaul interesting since KT133  my  Current MB has that chipset it's an Abit K7T-RAID motherboard do you know by any chance if it will run with XP CPUs or would I need another Motherboard entirely that has KT133 and is meant to Run Athlon XPs.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Your opinion about XP
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2002, 12:35:35 AM »
I wouldn't install XP on my computer if you paid me.

Win98SE still runs everything I want and because I PAY ATTENTION to the hardware and software I put in/on it, it's quite stable.  The only thing that causes lockups on my computer (irritatingly enough) are the latest versions of internet explorer, outlook express, and media player.

I've had uptimes in excess of a month with win98SE with no slowdown playing games at the end of that time.  MS can kiss my ass.  I won't buy any MS operating system beyond win98SE until they either drop the roadkill licensing scams or I finally come across some software I give a crap about that won't run on win98SE.  

I haven't found one yet.  In fact, the sooner they stop "supporting" win98SE, the better because the licenses attached to their "security updates" have clauses that give them the right to prevent your computer from running non-microsoft software and manipulating the data on your own computer.  

I have yet to find any reason to upgrade past win98SE, so I won't support microsoft's efforts to dictate what I can and cannot do with my own computer.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Your opinion about XP
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2002, 12:43:25 AM »
Glasses check the ABIT website...

I have an ASUS A7V 133a later revisions can take the XP cpu's earlier versions cannot..
and my MSI KT133 board can..

SKurj

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Your opinion about XP
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2002, 03:16:06 PM »
That's what I thought , TO THE Abit CAVE!!!

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Your opinion about XP
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2002, 03:56:09 PM »
Well Apparently  my KT7 although it has channels or 266 apparently cannot handle XP CPUs with  PC133 RAm well children give me some suggestions(sorry for hijacking :D )

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Your opinion about XP
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2002, 05:09:18 PM »
Glasses if your mobo is KT7a it should be capable to handle AMD XP's but if there's no letter 'a' there's no hope  :D

If you need to buy a new mobo you should look these first:
http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020509/index.html
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/index.html

btw here's my System. My second pc is having KT7a and it could handle XP's too but it's just a server/storage pc so there's no need for power like that :)

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Your opinion about XP
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2002, 05:51:34 PM »
Oh no, the infamous Tom's Hardware review.  Do NOT buy that Gigabyte board.  It's got serious troubles with high power consumption video cards.  GeForce 4 Titanium cards do not work well on it (even though it now includes a piece of paper that says "fully compatible" with them).

My new system uses an Asus A7N266-C board, which I'm very happy with.  If you want a stable system and aren't too interested in doing any serious overclocking, it's a great board.  (It uses the nVidia nForce 415 chipset.)

I haven't yet personally built a KT333 based system, but from what I'm reading the MSI KT3 Ultra is a pretty good board.  AKWarp likes the Soyo KT333 based board, which seems pretty nice as well.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Your opinion about XP
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2002, 06:29:57 PM »
Using an ASUS A7M266 with AMD761 and Via chipsets with athlonXP1600 256DDR    windows 98SE , GF4 and the system screams.  I've found personally that ASUS boards perform better then others with Athlon CPU's.  Owned 3 ASUS boards without a hitch.

Hajo
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Your opinion about XP
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2002, 03:20:52 AM »
Well there's a little trouble with that Stag because I saw something that said the  Mobo revision 1.3 of the KT7A does accept XP CPUs with a BIOS Update but apparently, don't know though, the KT7A I have since they were made before the XP CPUs were released in the ABIT FAQ said they are not useable,but KT7A v1.3 is.

Also in this article mentions the KT133A I would think I have a KT133 and a 686A South Bridge although the latter's new revision B only adds support for ATA 100.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2002, 03:30:33 AM by Glasses »