Author Topic: An idea that needs fleshing out  (Read 240 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
An idea that needs fleshing out
« on: July 12, 2002, 03:04:40 PM »
What keeps people in Aces High? Even though I like the game a lot I probably wouldn't be nearly as hooked on it if I didn't belong to a squad. I wonder how many try it out for two weeks and then leave without experiencing the kind of camaraderie found only in squads.

My idea (apologies if someone has already proposed this) is for there to be one or more newbie squads in each country. When a person begins their trial they are automatically assigned to one of these. The squad CO should be someone with experience, willingness to teach, patience, and on frequently. These CO positions could rotate often and be filled with persons from  regular squads on a temporary basis.

These squads might stick together and new newbie squads be formed or members may move on to other squads or not participate in a squad at all.

I'm sure there are a lot of variations to this, whaddaya think?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2002, 03:15:34 PM »
I think it's a great idea!...Can't think of a downside to implementing this..
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2002, 03:17:15 PM »
Well I think one implication to the new killbuffer thing is that new flyers will not be as noticed because they will have to land it first before they are recognised by all. Thats how players are usually recognised by squads is by there kill flashes that scroll by. At the moment newbies have to make more of an initiative to get recognised.

How did I get into my first squad, I went after and tried tio kill the CO (no not hooligan) of course (back in WB). I did the same thing with the BKs except this time hooligan got away and his henchmen took me out. LOL With the 475 Satans Angels, I went after the CO as well. Thats always a good way to get attention from a squad I think.

:D

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2002, 03:28:05 PM »
How about a pop up window upon a sign up, where it says something like "There are several squadrons in Aces High that would enjoy your company, would you like to sleep with Fatty from the Fat drunk bastards? (YES or NO toggle)"

Offline jarbo

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2002, 03:36:10 PM »
What about an additional feature in Club Setup that allows a person to "join for the night"?    -when they log off they are removed from squad roster.   This "joining" would not removed the added person from any permanent squad they are assigned to.

For example:  JoeBob is a permanent member of squad A.  Noone in squad A is online curently or expected to be soon.  Squad B "temp joins" him so he can read the  red messages and fly missions with Squad B with no text/radio disadvantages.  When he wants to go back to original Squad A he exit/reenters arena

Jarbo

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2002, 03:38:30 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
How about a pop up window upon a sign up, where it says something like "There are several squadrons in Aces High that would enjoy your company, would you like to sleep with Fatty from the Fat drunk bastards? (YES or NO toggle)"

Guess there's a place for everyone. :rolleyes: ;)

Seriously, I like that idea. With the current limit on squad membership at 32 there might not be enough willing squads to accomodate all the newbies. A very good place to start though.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2002, 03:42:43 PM by AKIron »

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2002, 03:40:59 PM »
i stay in AH  lately just for my frends, knights and squadies  ,, about fun ? , well the thing need some tweek  after maybe it will also reason to stay in AH ;)

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2002, 09:03:01 PM »
I think it is a fabulous idea Iron!

S!
Nim

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2002, 09:14:10 PM »
Awesome idea

Offline DES

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2002, 07:30:05 AM »
This assumes people want to be in a squad. I for one would have been very unhappy with any arrangement that forced me into a squad.

DES

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2002, 08:39:52 AM »
Originally posted by DES
This assumes people want to be in a squad. I for one would have been very unhappy with any arrangement that forced me into a squad.

DES

Certainly it could be optional and of course you could leave at any time. It's just an idea to make it easier for someone new to the game to get to know others and perhaps get a little mentoring. Some are not social animals but most of us are. :)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
A Training Squad
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2002, 09:01:33 AM »
Permit veterans to join a second squad at the same time.  AH Trainers.

Newbs can join the game and are automatically assigned to the training squad.  Any vets who have joined the training squad will then be able to talk to a group of newbs at the same time.

lazy this morning ... sorry if this was posted above..

SKurj

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2002, 09:01:49 AM »
I think of all the posts I have seen in here this is one of the "BEST" Ideas I have read. Neewbie or not... I have lots of friends in many squads and I would love to fly with them for a night and retain my handle. If it were possible to get a temporary squad status so you could use radar to identify all squadmates on the sortie, thier voice and text chanel chatter it would make the game more enjoyable. I don't think that the scoring results should transfer if a temporary player could be added. This may not be possible for HTC to do but it is an "EXCELLENT" concept. GREAT IDEA AKIron!

Thunder
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2002, 09:14:39 AM »
Awesome idea.
I'm thinking more like a Newby academy than a squad, in about a month you graduate and move over to other squads, or stay as an instructor an member of the "academy"

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2002, 10:53:12 AM »
squads are all different and the wrong fit of player and squad may be worse than no squad at all.    some squads are "fun" squads with no organization at all and some are anal to the point of neourosis.   players range the same way.   One end of the specrtrum would not be happy with the other.

My frst memory of a squad was bad..  guys I knew asked me to "fly along" with their squad.  I hated it.   These guys were acting like they were in the marines.   I had been lone wolf for many years before that and it was a long time after that till I would accept a squad.

senna is correct also.. the new kill buffer is a bad thing for new guys all the way around.   They need some recognition and they won't get it with the new kill buffer.
lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's
we are not recruiting... if someone dies we may send you an application.