Author Topic: Anyone have tips on getting height?  (Read 292 times)

Offline ibelimb

• Zinc Member
Anyone have tips on getting height?
« on: July 23, 2002, 08:19:50 PM »
Hey,

Does anyone have any tips on getting height for bombing runs? i mean i can get maybe 5,000 feet max before i am at he bombing area, so does anyone have some tips on how to get higher? Im getting killed by flak and stuff...

Thanks,
Limb

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2002, 08:50:54 PM »
The bombers climb at a max of a little over 1000fpm; start further away.

F.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
climb rate
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2002, 08:53:52 PM »
Hey Limb,

It's a mater of climb rate.  It takes time and depends on your bomb and fuel loadout.

Plan on climbing over friendly territory for 10 to 20 minutes to get to 14K above ground level (AGL) at the target with 25% fuel.  Higher is better but your bombsight accuracy deteriorates.

Remember, you must fly stright and level for at least 1/4 sector before calibrating your bombsight so allow 1/3 to 1/2 sector and line up for the run.

Bombers are all about patience and practice.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 09:44:00 PM »
also remember theres a wind layer above 14k the wind goes from west to east so if you have a choice at least angle into it if you cant fly directly east west.

have a kettle and tea ready and a good book and dont rush it.

:)

Offline ibelimb

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2002, 11:16:44 PM »
Well im doing good now, just ran a run, but died, dopped my eggs and fuel ran out basically 1 minute after... good thingi was at 21k feet, did dips to keep speed, made it to the AF, was going ot fast so i hasd to turn around...  amde that fine... was going too fast that my gear broek or they were damaged... and didnt make it :mad: :(

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2002, 08:30:22 AM »
If you wanna bleed speed in a bomber (for landing), kill the throttle early (you can always throttle up a little if necessary later), use rudder in your turns, and drop flaps as soon as possible.  Usually, as soon as I am outta trouble, I will begin an unpowered (or low power) decent back to the nearest friendly and uncapped field.  If you get close to the field and still have a lot of speed to burn, make s turns using a lot of rudder on the approach and drop those flaps as soon as it will let you.  Good luck up there.

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2002, 02:40:20 AM »
Just a thought...................... ............

IF you use auto take off, in a bomber it automatically deploys two notches of flaps on take off, in a bomber, there is a possability that you arent exceeding the max flaps down speed, and they are staying down........you will still climb, but at a greatly reduced rate.
Try hitting the 'W' key twice after take off, see if that makes any differance.

Many, many, many times I've had someone ask me why their B17/Lanc/Ju88 wont stay in formation with mine....usually its because of the 2 notches of flaps deployed at takeoff that they have either not known about at all, or forgotten about.

Blue.

Offline Ahbleza

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2002, 09:17:55 AM »
If you are using auto angle try setting your speed to 135 in a lanc <.speed 135>.

Ute