Author Topic: Something is missing from Aces High  (Read 133 times)

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Something is missing from Aces High
« on: July 29, 2002, 06:36:53 PM »
Until, version 1.10 was out we used to see high altitude missions by the knights, and occassionaly rooks. I mean, fifty planes or more in one giant 27k raid. B17's, B-26's, P47's, P51's, and 109's at 27k. Now, I really enjoyed running into this from time-to-time, but now it's gone. You see the fighters up there, but since they don't have to help buffs, they immediately dive away for help or to commit some foolhardiness.

I'd like to see the bomb dispersion removed and the formations gone. Keep the calibration routine. Without the ability to fire through parts of their own plane all buffs need the altitude advantage more then ever. Yet, they can't hit anything above 13k, and they're sitting ducks to fighters at that altitude.

The fact that we're seeing dive-bombing B17's is a good indication of the frustration they are feeling.

And, I miss those high-alt battles :)

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
      • http://home.worldonline.cz/~cz088436/
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2002, 12:17:34 PM »
Well with 1.10 new bombing system the bombs are no longer 'laserguided' so it takes time and some effort to master the new system. Also with 1.10 we have 3 ship formations. What am I trying to say? Well If you gather some pilots for a ride then you want to take 3 ships. Which makes for quite nice number of buffs even when just 5 guys go for the flight. Now when all the 15 buffs are cruising in formation there is question how many ppl will risk going for a 15 plane buff box of B-17s with all their guns (please note: not a buff gun uber topic). Funy is that when we did this raids in 1.10 we had almost no enemy activity during the whole flight. And adding the fact that strats are for some strange reason undestroyable the buff count is low...

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2002, 12:25:23 PM »
Maybe if the Buffs didn't seem soo weak we would see more at/around 13k. As it is now it doesnt take much to knock down 1 formation of bombers, a single fighter can do it. Just the other day my CO and I caught about 4-5 formations co-alt I watched him take out a formation by himself, I then did the same and also caught a lone straggler trying to egress. (F4U-1's btw)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2002, 01:39:38 PM »
Originally posted by MadBirdCZ
Well with 1.10 new bombing system the bombs are no longer 'laserguided' so it takes time and some effort to master the new system. Also with 1.10 we have 3 ship formations. What am I trying to say? Well If you gather some pilots for a ride then you want to take 3 ships. Which makes for quite nice number of buffs even when just 5 guys go for the flight. Now when all the 15 buffs are cruising in formation there is question how many ppl will risk going for a 15 plane buff box of B-17s with all their guns (please note: not a buff gun uber topic). Funy is that when we did this raids in 1.10 we had almost no enemy activity during the whole flight. And adding the fact that strats are for some strange reason undestroyable the buff count is low...

Well said

The only buffs Ive really seen are the low ones trying to finish off a city here and there.

Though I've bumped into a group of 5 (15) the other night, apparently linking up before hitting a target.  If my G10 ONLY carried more ammo!  Got 4 before I became parts  ;)

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2002, 02:45:11 PM »
The biggest problems facing buffs are bugs, and the lack of viable targets to bomb.

First and formost, Strat targets except cities are better suited to precision bombing then carpet bombing.

Bugs affecting buffs,
1. Various formation bugs, bombers taking off backwards, inability for ar234 drones to take off with ratos.  drones falling behind and exploding while flying straight and level.

2. Strat bugs,
On the small maps, bombing strat only does a max of 33% damage.  Kill all of one countries strat, and theyll only drop to 66%.  Throw in the fact that even without this, strat has no effect that you'd notice without watching it, and strat is worthless.

3. Damage bugs.
Sometimes all of the buffs take the same damage.  Anyone who's flown a lot of buffs, or killed a lot, knows what I'm talking about.  You blast the wing off one, the pilot bails, and the wing vanishes from the drone he is now in.  Same thign on buff #3, sending all down at once.  Or one of your buffs gets shot down, and you end up flying  an apparently undamaged plane that seems to be invisibly leaking oil untill the engine dies.