Author Topic: Improving Frame Rate  (Read 754 times)

Offline jmccaul

• Zinc Member
Improving Frame Rate
« on: January 30, 2000, 03:57:00 PM »
 I get poor frame rates in AH and i am pretty sure it is my Processor to blame, a cyrix MII 333mhz the problem is my board is only rated to run at 333 mhz and has a socket 7 processor slot. So the only processors i can use are Pentium MMX (which i don't think go up to 333mhz) or an K6-2. So whatever i go for won't be much of an improvement so i was wondereing if there was any socket converters so i could put something like a P2 333 or a celeron in my motherboard.  

Morbid

Improving Frame Rate
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2000, 04:42:00 PM »
Hi Jim,

Not sure how the pricing goes there, but for probably not much more than a converter you could maybe consider a PII/Celeron style motherboard?

There are many advantages to doing this - one big one being that the $$$ goes to something much more expandable than what it sounds like you have now. Also things won't be choked down through a converter, the glue chips are a lot better in the PII boards vs. PI, etc.

There are a few companies that make AT style PII boards which you would need to keep from having to also replace the box, power supply, etc. I know ASUS makes one and think that ABIT does too.

Unfort, don't know anything about the converters you would need to use your present board though.

Offline PropNut

• Copper Member
Improving Frame Rate
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2000, 05:52:00 PM »
Jmccaul
  Try going here and you can ask any computer related stuff.  its a good active board  it helped me build my first comp and upgrade others    PropNut  http://anandforums.gisystech.com/

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Improving Frame Rate
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2000, 08:26:00 PM »
 If your going to build a budget Celeron machine you can get an A-Trend ATC-6230 mobo for cheap. Your PC-66 RAM will work fine in this board. Don`t buy it if your planning to overclock-it wont. It has the Intel BX chipset,it`s also AT form factor so it should work(space permitting)with your current case/power supply. I`ve built several budget PC`s for friends using this board and have had no problems or complaints. Just stick a Celeron 500mhz in and a good video card for much better frame rates.

------------------
}]
 JG2 "Richthofen"