Author Topic: Set up for 2 Aug: Battle of Britain  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Set up for 2 Aug: Battle of Britain
« on: July 31, 2002, 11:34:03 AM »
Due to it's popularity, and to give the BoB scenario guys a nice practice area, I'll be configuring the CT with the BoB set up.  C-47's and LVT's will be available, in case some enterprising folks want to segway into Operation Sea Lion ;).

Planeset:

Great Britain - Spit-I, Hurri-I, Boston III, TBM, C-47, PT boats, and all GV's except Ostwind and Panzer

Germany - Bf-109E, Me110C-4, Stuka (SBD), Ju-88, C-47, PT boats, and all GV's except Ostwind and Panzer.

Note: The inclusion of the TBM for the Brits is to insure they have a credible anti-shipping capability.  The Boston III will give RAF Bomber Command and Coastal Command something to play with.  The inclusion of the SBD for the Germans is to give them something that remotely resembles the functionality of the Ju-87 Stuka (sorry, no dive siren).  Gameplay considerations to be sure, but hopefully not too glaring to hurt overall immersion.

Sabre
CT Staff
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2002, 11:48:09 AM »
How would the allies feel about the SBD or VAL (Good stand-in for the Swordfish?) instead of the TBM?  Last time we did the BoB I found that the TBM was tough customer as compared to the other aircraft of the plane set.  Its speed (but not climb) is comparable to the Hurricane I and its gun package is second only to the ME110.

No big deal to me either way, although I must admit I would be tempted to switch to Allies and fly the TBM as an E-fighter to see how well I could do.

(Edit to add that last BoB I flew the Ju88 as a fighter for one sortie.  I landed with two Hurricanes and a Spitfire.  1 Hurri and the Spit got by just sniping with the forward mg and then jumping to tail, the other Hurri I think I lucked out and wounded the pilot.  I doubt I could ever repeat this performance.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2002, 12:02:26 PM by HFMudd »

Offline keyapaha

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2002, 12:32:12 PM »
ahhh back to flying bombers  for a week    good deal:cool:

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2002, 01:22:33 PM »
I agree that the TBM outclasses too many fighters.  How about the Allies get the SBD instead, and the Axis gets the Val (fixed gear, looks more like a Stuka, early war, slow, etc.

eskimo

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2002, 02:16:31 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
I agree that the TBM outclasses too many fighters.  How about the Allies get the SBD instead, and the Axis gets the Val (fixed gear, looks more like a Stuka, early war, slow, etc.

eskimo

I'll give it some thought between now and Friday...see which way the masses are swaying.

Sabre
CT Staff
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2002, 03:10:14 PM »
yeehaw!  time to avoid the endless 110c HO's!  ;)

:D  My 2nd favorite setup this is only due to the lack of the He111, Do17, Ju87B (right?  D was later?  I don't know my LW birds very well) and the Blenheims.  If we had a full BoB planeset (with Ju88s limited) I'd be a super happy camper in this one.  :)  (early Pac is only missing Kate/Devastator for near completion.  Tho Oscar and Betty would be nice too.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2002, 03:12:50 PM by Nifty »
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2002, 05:03:55 PM »
Looks like a winner Sabre, hey I'll see you at the  CON! :)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2002, 06:03:58 PM »
I think for dogfighting I'd definitely take the SBD.. and doesn't it also have 2 forward firing .50's? (same as tbm)

I suppose if speed is the issue..  

SKurj

Offline Furzy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2002, 06:11:00 PM »
I found the TBM to be fairly gameable in last BoB, Its two 50's were a good fighter package along with rkts and eggs. Really it too ahead of its time. In BoB.

Furzy

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2002, 06:27:20 PM »
Sabre,

I'd say you have come up with an excellent setup if the only thing we can find to harp about is which *bomber* is the better dogfighter.  

Good job, and thanks for your efforts.

(BTW, for dogfighting down in the weeds, I'll take the Val over either the TBD or the SBD.)

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2002, 06:53:12 PM »
Sounds good Sabre,
If the TBM,SBD,Val issue comes down to votes I go with eskimo2's suggestion.

Which BOB map will be used? will it be the one which is going to be used in the BOB scenario?

TTFN
snafu

Offline Durr

• Copper Member
      • http://us.geocities.com/ghostrider305
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2002, 09:51:49 PM »
As far as dogfighting bombers go, the Boston makes a pretty rough customer too.  I took one up last night since the fighter that was available from the field nearest the fight was the Hurricane IId.  The Hurri is just too slow to deal with the 109s, 190s, and 262s that were plagueing the field.  I figured that if I took up a Boston, it would be as fast or faster than a Hurri, and the 109s would come down and fight, sensing an easy kill.  It worked as planned, I responded to a call from Ammo for help with 3 fighters that were on him.  One other Allied fighter went in as well.  Ammo was either shot down or left, leaving me and the other Allied fighter fighting the 3 German fighters.  After a short but viscious dogfight low over the water, I shot up one 109 with my nose guns, and he promptly crashed nearby giving me a kill.  A second later another 109 raked my Boston, knocking off an elevator and a flap.  I continued to fight, soon getting on one of the 109s 6.  I shot him up pretty badly, and then, out of ammo, proceeded for home.  The smoking 109 that I shot up must have had engine seizure and crash, becuase I got the kill a minute later, just before I landed safely.  Two 109 kills with the nose guns, and a safe return home aint bad for a 2 engined bomber that only has .303 guns.

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2002, 10:09:10 PM »

yessssssss:D

Stuka (SBD)

yes!!!

of the Ju-87 Stuka (sorry, no dive siren).

:( :(

TY Sabre

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2002, 12:17:23 AM »
Ju-87 Stuka (sorry, no dive siren).

That's ok, I'l just type "Tweeeeeeeeeeeee" on channel 1 when I go into a dive.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2002, 12:50:05 AM »
The D3A is a far closer match for the Stuka in performance and durability (and forward firepower) than is the SBD.

I think its time for the Japanese to do a little reverse lend/leasing for the Bf110s and Ju88s the Germans gave them.

D3A should be used for the Stuka.

SBD had armor, not the Stuka (Ju87B-1)
SBD can do 280mph, Stuka could do 242mph.
SBD has two 50 cals forward.  Stuka had two 7.92mms

D3A has no armor
D3A can do 242mph
D3A has one 7.7mm forward
« Last Edit: August 01, 2002, 12:52:38 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-