Author Topic: Bombing Runs  (Read 270 times)

Offline Ralph Yondola

• Zinc Member
Bombing Runs
« on: August 15, 2002, 04:41:27 PM »
My understanding of how the Norden Bomb site worked during WWII is that the Bombadier made last minute adjustments to the flight path of the bomber while siting in the target.  I've read Kweassa's suggestions on bombing and have improved as a result.  However, I continue having difficulty lining up the target.
I'm slightly left, or right, enough to miss, but close.

I would appreciate some suggestions on how to line up the target after you enter the calibration mode.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2002, 04:50:55 PM »
when far from target you can use map for a rough line up, on final bomb run and in the bomb sight you can use keypad 8 to "lookup" from bomb sight for last min adj to course.
you should not stay in calibration mod , cal and get out.

44MAG

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2002, 07:44:36 AM »
I use the map to get the rough, far away line up and occasionally check the forward gun on max zoom. Once I can see the target from that forward gun on max zoom, I do my 1st correction and then I usually calibrate. I un-zoom the bombsight and look for the field to enter the view and do my 2nd course correction and sometimes a 2nd calibration. Then I use the left/right movement of the joystick to perfrm the final course correction in the zoomed in bombsight and that's it. If your like me, you will miss the target every time , oops :mad:
On one run I was droping long so I shortened up and dropped short. You guessed it, I dropped farther short.
I really used to like our squad's 'In the Buff' night but I do not anymore. In fact I rarely attack bombers anymore. Not because they are now firing 3x the gunns, it's because I figure they just won't do that much damage.

fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54