Author Topic: Attack advice  (Read 310 times)

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
Attack advice
« on: August 21, 2002, 08:03:35 AM »
I have been flying fighters for a while, but tried the Val, Mossie and A20 for a change. What is a good methode to accurately deliver bombs in these planes in attack mode?

Talking about bombsights (haven't tried that yet), how do you calibrate them? Guess I can look it up but this is easier ;-)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Attack advice
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 09:09:54 AM »
I can't speak about the Mossi, as I've never flown it, but I do have some stick time in the A-20.

The Havoc is set up so that the first stick of bombs to go is the stick in the bomb bay, then the stick on the wings.  Be careful about your speed or you could end up overstressing the frame, particularly with a full load of bombs.  I use it mostly for divebombing, as I don't have the feel for level bombing in it yet.

Don't forget to open the bomb-bay door!

Use the thicker portion of the gun site as a bomb site when diving down on a target.  Don't go straight down, as its difficult to recover the plane from that angle and increasing speed.  I've ripped off my elevators trying to do that.

The Havoc is slower than jabo fighters, so its a good idea to strafe the flak on the initial run in to target because you're a pretty easy target, then circle back and pickle off the bombs in the bomb-bay, then pickle off the bombs on the wings "to pick up the spare".  If you pickle off the bombs on the wings first, you could damage the airframe if you work the stick too hard or go too fast.  Since the wing bombs put the weight over the portion of the aircraft providing lift, those wing bombs have less of an impact on overall structural integrity during hard maneuvering.

As always, this only works if you're a Knight.  If you're a Rook or a Bishop and you use this information against the Knights, you will develop a bad case of acne and lose all of your friends.  Its true!  I saw it on the Internet!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2002, 09:12:27 AM by gofaster »